M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a little free time yesterday, and decided to go for a short ride and hit some of my favorite twisty roads. Anyway, I was hitting one road pretty hard, scraping pegs and pipes pretty regularly. I was coming up on a relatively tight right hander when I notice a truck coming around in the opposite lane. No big deal... I usually make it a point to not even glance at these vehicles so I keep looking through the curve. Well, just as I was setting up to enter this corner, the guy in the truck slows to a crawl preparing to make a left turn onto a side street just after the apex (coming from my direction). Like I said, normally, I wouldn't even look at the vehicle, but I had to make sure he wasn't gonna turn in front of me. At this point I'm already leaning over, and it's like I can't take my eyes off his truck. I feel the bike literally getting pulled right toward the guy. Finally I realized what was happening and forced myself to push harder on the right handle. The bike leaned over harder and scraped the pipes, and I was able to force my gaze back to the exit point. By the time I passed the truck, I was maybe 2 feet from the center line. Totally screwed that corner up, but I came out of it without incident. Pucker factor easily a 9 out of 10. That scared me pretty good, and surprised me at how easy it is to get target fixated. Had he not slowed to turn across my lane, it wouldn't have been an issue. All it took was me looking at him to be sure he was waiting for me to pass and I was hooked, literally. It's a scary feeling when you know what's happening, and still can't seem to break the gaze. Ride safe out there. I was lucky this time.... and it would have been all my fault had I wrecked.

·
Registered
890 Posts
:yikes: Medic I'm glad you came through that pucker factor 9 without injury! Thanks for posting that it's something others of us can look out for and not do. Keep the rubber side down :bigthumbsup:

Devilish

·
Registered
59 Posts
Medic, that's a perfect example of why new riders should take a motorcycle safety course.
(and us older ones that haven't been to one for a while...)  ::)

Fixating on a target can be as simple as trying not to run over the dots between lanes - and wondering why the bike runs right over the one you're trying to miss, to something as serious as your near-miss from being visually distracted during a turn.

Glad you're ok. :)

(Hmmm... after reading this, it sounds a bit personal, but I don't mean it that way. I also don't know how to reword it better) >.<

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yep, losing SA while riding is not a good thing :eek: Thats why you never watch the bike you are following through a corner either ............ if they go off so do you ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Medic,
Thanks for sharing this message, it is all too easy to take the little things, like not fixating on a target, for granted. I see you are getting more experienced with each ride, good work avoiding a mishap.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Glad you made it out ok! I've done similar a few times... typically my mistake is on a hard left hander when I start to scrape... I catch myself looking at the road edge instead of the APEX or my exit point (I guess I am seeing how much room I have left).

Sure as sunshine as soon as I change my focus the bike starts moving that way. Its amazing how once you start heading toward an obstacle how hard it is not to look at it!

looking away from a big truck you may soon impact would be quite tough! Good job getting your focus back where it needed to be! 
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Medic,

Glad you pulled yourself out of that one, :bigthumbsup: hitting a truck head on would have really sucked.

What speed were you doing ?

Apollo

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
M109LOVER said:
Medic,

Glad you pulled yourself out of that one, :bigthumbsup: hitting a truck head on would have really sucked.

What speed were you doing ?

Apollo
I was doing maybe 45 or so. I wasn't in danger of hitting him head on. I was pulling more toward his rear tire or that general area. Still woulda sucked though.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I did sort of the opposite thing on the way to work this morning. I came up behind two very slow moving cars in a pretty tight curve in the right lane of a four-lane. Just as I was changing lanes to pass, I knew that the car directly in front of me also wanted to pass, but I wasn't sure if the driver knew that I was already in that lane beside them. So as I'm watching that car and trying to stay as far away as possible, I notice that my line is taking me right across the double yellow and into oncoming traffic. I also had to make a quick decision as to what was the more emminent danger. Luckily I still had enough room that I didn't have to do anything really drastic, and I eased more into the inside of the lane.

I realized after what a close call it was though.

Sometimes, when countersteer is automatic to you, it is also possible to fixate on the target that you are getting away from and not realize where your evasive maneuver is taking you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts