M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
good point, some bikes will go that fast but will they go that fast safely? I have had my ZRX 1100 up to about 140 true speed and since it is a mostly unfaired bike with a windscreen about the size of the one on the 109 it can get brutal. once you get up to that speed you can see how much Aerodynamics or the lack of it has to do with going that speed in a stable manner.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had a friend get blown off his bike at high speed we think.   He was unable to confirm.   Another friend has a shock break at 120MPH.  He lived but he looked like someone took a melon baller and scraped out chunks of skin all over his body.

I don't think anyone who goes 150 is a nut job. To each his own. I love acceleration, but no high speed for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This bike doesn't feel right passed 135mph...

1) The fact that you have to keep focus on keeping your feet planted should not be happening.
     Lets me know the bike wasn't designed wrong, but wasn't designed for high speed.

2) I feel a dampner is needed although I'm overly impressed with how stable the head is at top-end speeds.

3) Windscreen is not a problem with a well invested helmet. All are dot approved... But there's a reason why one
     helmet is $200 and the other is $600... Design and comfort throughout the ride.

4) As for a comfortable speed... I guess this really depends on the riders ability... But on my 2hr back canyon cruise
     yesterday... I would randomly look down at a 100mph+ a majority of the time... So the bike delivers and rides very
      well in the 90mph-115mph range through peg scrappin' twisties and straights. When taking a corner hard I noticed
       the rear doesn't seem to follow the front line when taking it hard... It seems to pull me out which almost had me straight
        lining a 30mph railing. I feel this has to do with the bigass rear tire. I wasn't going to brake, or do a crazy skippity
        jump HS down shift in the corner, or let off too much on the throttle and risk straight lining... So I tucked it hard, and just washed
        out just in time as the corner straightened. But I wasn't impressed with Suzuki's follow travel... They have it close, but just a tad shy!

5) It's not a sportbike... With the nice HESD I can slice through roads at 140mph and feel solid as a rock, as well as dumpin' it in the corners.
     But when I jump back on the 109 I notice it's limits. I'd personally stay around 120mph... You can take 55mph benders no problem and things
      seem a little more in check. As for trying to bury the odometer... You may pull it off, but you're on it too long in the process and the brakes
        don't have it when that deer jumps out in front of you. Liter sportbike gets me there instantly and I have the brakes to bring it right back
down. I'm slowing down 400lbs vs. 700lbs. This bike is about low end grunt.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I personally have no desire to ever exceed 120mph in or on anything which doesn't posses wings and propeller / turbine. That having been said, I'll probably do so at some point and live to regret it I hope. :doorag:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally,,I have to test the limits on everything I buy..after all ,,there are good resons I bought the monstousity....FAST,MEAN, FAT,ETC.....Now that I've done it,,a few times I might add..the desire to top it out ,,is gone(been there done that)....just to windy,,and a steering dampner is needed to be stable and comforable at that speed....I'm still out for Blood ,,Stop light to Stoplight..... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
411 Posts
To each their own I always say. The reason I bought the M109 (M1800 for us ;)) is I have the best from both worlds. I can cruise or I can haul a$$ and considering I live in Germany I don´t even have to worry about getting a speeding ticket on the Autobahn (interstate) na na na na na na ;) IMHO if I just wanted to cruise 60-70 mph all the time I could/would have bought another bike hell an savage can go that fast. (no offense meant to anyone that owns a savage) :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reasons to not do it.

1. No steering dampener.

2. 700 lbs

3. We know it does it.

4. Avg guy does not where leathers and has not idea what it is going to happen when it happens.

5. Why take the chance of wrecking the Bruzer Cruzer?

Personally, I would like a lower 1st or closer 2nd and 3rd. And continue to spank them from light to light. I feel this bike is more like a 69 Chevelle with a 427 big block rather than a Lotus Esprit.

Sooner or later someone is going to get the right road noise at that speed and will end up with the rubber up and that will be very bad.

Half the battle is knowing what it does, much like a navy seal you are not going to poke a navy seal in the chest to see if he can kill you with a ball point pen you just know the dude can do it.

But then again maybe Darwin knows more than all of us and some should not be breathing.

Too Each His Own, hey do a brother a Favor and get your donor card updated if you are going to sign up for this stupidity.

·
Registered
411 Posts
raw_taz
(1) Opinions are like a......s everyone has one and also the right to express theirs, In your Avatar it says ride it like you stoled it and then you write those of us that ride it extremely fast should have our donor card updated excuse me for saying so but those two just don´t jive ::) In this day and age anything can happen even if you are just going 55mph. As a roofing contractor who is on at least 1 skyscaper a year believe me, its the kick( ok maybe money has something to do with it too ;)) You know the saying,"No risk No fun". I used to have a busa so the power of the M109 is nothing new to me. If I die on the M109 at least I´ll cash in my chips with a smile on my face, waiting donor patients will get their wish and my wife will be very wealthy :doorag: Now you ride yours a little slower, enjoy it and have a nice day even if you think I am stupid.
[Too Each His Own, hey do a brother a Favor and get your donor card updated if you are going to sign up for this stupidity/quote]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mad Dog said:
raw_taz
(1) Opinions are like a......s everyone has one and also the right to express theirs, In your Avatar it says ride it like you stoled it and then you write those of us that ride it extremely fast should have our donor card updated excuse me for saying so but those two just don´t jive ::) In this day and age anything can happen even if you are just going 55mph. As a roofing contractor who is on at least 1 skyscaper a year believe me, its the kick( ok maybe money has something to do with it too ;)) You know the saying,"No risk No fun". I used to have a busa so the power of the M109 is nothing new to me. If I die on the M109 at least I´ll cash in my chips with a smile on my face, waiting donor patients will get their wish and my wife will be very wealthy :doorag: Now you ride yours a little slower, enjoy it and have a nice day even if you think I am stupid.
I guess I just ride agressively not at extreme speed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mad Dog said:
To each their own I always say. The reason I bought the M109 (M1800 for us ;)) is I have the best from both worlds. I can cruise or I can haul a$$ and considering I live in Germany I don´t even have to worry about getting a speeding ticket on the Autobahn (interstate) na na na na na na ;) IMHO if I just wanted to cruise 60-70 mph all the time I could/would have bought another bike hell an savage can go that fast. (no offense meant to anyone that owns a savage) :bigthumbsup:
None taken. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not taking this bike up over 200 km/hr (125 mph) is wrong. You have to know, if only once.

JUST DON'T SCREW AROUND TWO-UP!

To do that consistently, well this isn't the right ride for that either.

The 75 - 85 mph range is a nice ride... not too windy, just starts to tickle fifth gear.

Once you've got 1000 hours on her, try working the twisties a bit - someone posted that this isn't a Busa type ride... (no crap!) but she'll do a helluva lot more than most every other cruiser. You should be throwing her from side to side.

Last point - 700 lbs is the dry weight. I read somewhere that we're over 750. I see a lot of riders here are over 250... you guys are pushing half a ton of weight versus the skinny a$$ crotch rocket who between rider and bike is 60% of your weight...

Don't forget weight is a big part of momentum... the sport bikes have a big advantage so don't try to match your fat a$$ on the M through the twisties.

Ride Hard but Ride Safe... :doorag:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
well have hit the 150 mark on the speedo i know i was not going that fast but it did not matter i still was rolling i really did not beleive the bike would go that fast i know the speedo is off but still to hit the 150 mark still shock me.......

·
Registered
752 Posts
raw_taz said:
The bike does 150 mph on the dyno, been there done that. You will not be at 150 on the street so stop trying one of you dodo's is going to find a tank slapper at that speed and we will miss you.

STOP the INSANITY!

Definition of Dodo http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/expeditions/treasure_fossil/Treasures/Dodo/dodo.html?dinos

Read, Learn, Adapt.
There is no wind resistance on the Dyno Taz. If you know open class bikes you'll know that wind resistance is an enormous part of the equation that the Dyno can't measure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
L-Train said:
There is no wind resistance on the Dyno Taz. If you know open class bikes you'll know that wind resistance is an enormous part of the equation that the Dyno can't measure.
That is my point L-Train they will never hit 140 for that matter so why try?Â

But, like I have posted before, to each his own. It will be a sad day when somebody dumps this behemoth at say 138 trying to go 150.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Dumping at any speed over 100 would really SUCK...

Even with my kevlar jacket and full face helmet and riding pants and boots... that would HURT!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've taken my 109 to 125mph a couple of weeks ago, it really felt very stable and was still accelerating but I decided to let off because I didn't have much more straight road left.
I will attempt to hit the 140 mark where and when I find the right place. I have no doubt the bike will do it because there was plenty of acceleration left at 125.

I also own a new Z06 Corvette (427ci/505HP) which is speed limited to 203mph. I've taken it to 180 without any problem and still had plenty of guts left, my goal is to hit 190 and then I'll retire from going any faster! Talk about wind drag, at anything over 160mph it feels like the brakes are jammed on when you let off the throttle, the car slows down radically fast at those speeds.

It's not that I plan to do this kind of speed on a regular basis, it's just being able to say "I did it" and that's the goal. How many guys can say they've gone 140mph on a bike and 190mph in a car? Very few - at least in a car at that speed! ((( ;

EFE M109

1 - 20 of 40 Posts