M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to make airbox removal newbies aware of what I ran into this morning while installing my Power Commander module. Things went very smoothly until I went to remove the airbox. For the life of me I could not get the air port clamps that connect from the bottom of the airbox to the throttle body air intakes to unscrew. It seemed so simple but I encountered one screw, the hardest to get to of course that had the head stripped. I thought that was odd and spent a long time trying to figure out how to get the screw to loosen with a stripped head and no clearance to get to it. This wound up taking the majority of the time for this install. Finally I just bore down on it with a slightly larger screw driver thinking if worse came to worse I could cut the whole clamp off.

Finally it turned a little bit and after that it was ok. The other throttle body side clamp was also very hard to turn but with the experience from the first I just muscled it into turning with lots of pressure. Once I got the airbox lifted I discovered the root of the problem. Not only do the screws have some type of lock tite on them, but they are also both bent. The combination of the bent screw, the lock tite, and the partially stripped head on the 1st one cost me a huge amount of pain and time on this project.

You experts out there probably would have gone through this in no time. However not knowing what I was going into, I wasn't certain what was going on. With it being a Sunday and no extra parts on hand I didn't want to force or break anything.

I'm including a couple of pics for the unexperienced to show what the ports and clamps underneath the airbox look like along with the screws. Since I have no replacement screws and have to go back together with these, I swapped them so the screw that was the real bad a$$, bent the most and with the stripped head is now on the easier port side to get to. Here's the pics.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Re: Airbix removal problem for Power Commander install

I didn't bother to take the airbox off, didn't do it with the Cobra so I didn't see a reason to do it with the Power Comander. ::)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Airbix removal problem for Power Commander install

Lamonster said:
I didn't bother to take the airbox off, didn't do it with the Cobra so I didn't see a reason to do it with the Power Comander. ::)
If I was going to do it again, I probably wouldn't remove it now. The difference being your experience and my lack of experience. I'm betting you already knew what you were going for and where it was. The space is pretty tight in there, and while I thought I had it figured out, I wanted to be sure. Not having seen under the airbox, I also just wanted to gain the knowledge of what a good look at the top of the heads and throttle body set up looked like.

It was a major pain due to two things. I really wasn't certain I was disconnecting all the right stuff. It's very hard to see up under the airbox when its on. And those clamp screws with the lock tite. They wouldn't have been such a challenge if they weren't bent too. The screw you have the better view of is not bent too badly. The one that only shows the stripped head is bent big time. I scratched my head over that one for a long time.

In the end, I'm glad I took the airbox off. I wouldn't do it again just to install a power commander (however the pics with the install instructions show it off and the instructions clearly say to remove it. Being a newbie, it was monkey see, monkey do. And then I ran into the problem. Now that I've gone through the pain, I'm glad I did. I have much better knowledge of what's under the airbox, and what it all looks like than I did when I started.

Maybe this thread will help the next unexperienced guy with his install a little.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. My bike is back together and the Power Commander is installed and working - I think. Bike runs fine. I haven't tried to make any adjustments yet. Ultimately I'll need to schedule some dyno time.

Here's a little tip on getting the airbox back on and connected. It's not a very simple process. If you just set the airbox on top of the throttle bodies, you'll see that the lips of the airbox air ports (rubber) and the flange of the metal throttle bodies don't line up exactly. Because of the angle of the throttle bodies, and where they should be when fully seated in the airbox rubber air ports, when you put the airbox on top of the throttle bodies, they don't line up. The distance of the front edge of the front throttle body to the rear edge of the rear throttle body is wider (longer) than where the openings in the airbox air ports are. If you pull the whole airbox back and get the rear rubber air port seated back on the rear throttle body, then the front lip of the front throttle body is too far forward for the airbox port to fit over it. The airbox port needs to go forward about a half an inch.

Here's a trick I found for getting the airbox back on. See pics below. I took a cheap long blade screwdriver and bent the tip forward. Then after seating the rear airbox port onto the rear throttle body, I used the bent tip on the screwdriver to grab the front rubber edge of the airbox front port and levered it over the front of the metal throttle body. After an hour of pulling my hair out trying to figure out how you get airbox air port openings to fit over throttle bodies that are a half inch wider spacing, this trick worked great and the first try.

I hope this helps the next person removing and reinstalling an airbox. See pics below.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
midnight hour said:
To whom ever, I have heard about the tornado air filters, does anyone know about these?
Huh?  :dontknow: How does this relate to the airbox removal? Right now there are 2 separate threads on the front page specifically talking about the tornado airfilter. Maybe you should check them out. Try the search feature too. You'll get a better response if your questions are at least remotely related to the thread you post them in. If you can't find a related thread, then start a new topic. Don't just find some random topic (like this or the other one you posted in "Powercommander Install") and ask an off-the-wall question. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I'm still wavering on installing a Power Commander, everything that's posted on the board is saying it's the better of the two choices because you have better control of fuel distribution. I haven't done a search on the instillation yet but from reading this I understand that some of the steps you did aren't needed. I'm not a wrench so I'd be grateful for the most direct instillation steps possible. Thanks for adding to the knowledge of the board!

Devilish

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had similar problems with those scews except they were bent. One other helpful tip is to put a little WD40 around the rim of the air box ports and they will slip back on with little problem. I had recommended that anyone removing the air box replace those scews or you will have problems down the road in a tread I posted several months ago. I had removed the airbox when I installed the PCIII and put in a new air horn and switch.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i had the same problem with one of the two screws. the bad one was bent. i used the "pissed off" method and just ripped my airbox off without loosening that one. it worked fine :p. i'll be getting replacement bolts for both of those, and will not re-loctite them.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
+1 :bigthumbsup:
Same problem when I took my airbox out ..can't remember which clamp it was but the screw had been "F'd" (bent when assembled) and I had to destroy it to get it out and replace the screw with something from my junk box.
Whew!..the relief when I found a screw that fitted the clamp..I was saying un-nice things about Mr Suzuki's helpers till I found the substitute screw.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
we found during our removal of the airboxes ,no stripped screws .But we did find using an extreamly long screwdriver to be the cats ass when it comes to reaching it and having plenty of room to torque it. :bigthumbsup:
My screws weren't stripped, they were bent, making it very hard to turn them. I gave up for fear of rounding out the head and just installed the PCIII as Lamont suggested... without removing the airbox.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Medic1210 said:
My screws weren't stripped, they were bent, making it very hard to turn them. I gave up for fear of rounding out the head and just installed the PCIII as Lamont suggested... without removing the airbox.
Ditto on my bike too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts