M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Blue Angels are performing at Dobbins Oct. 16,17. I missed the last show they did here, I will not miss another. The last airshow I attended was several years ago, and it was pretty awesome. Admission is free. I hope to see you there! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Cool I didn't know about this. I might go ahead and take my boys up there this weekend as well.

Whats the best way to get tickets for this? Any suggestions on when to show up? Where to park? I've never been on this AFB before.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think there are any tickets to be had. The website that I saw there schedule on said free admission. The show starts at 8 am, but I would show up at 6 am. The last time they were here I waited close to the start time, and failed. It was already crowded by the time I got there. There were people sitting along the streets, businesses along the road parking lots were full. I plan on being there at 6 am. That may still be to late. People come from all over to see them perform. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
News > Navy Blue Angels and Canadian Snowbirds heading to Wings Over Atlanta 2010 Air Show at Dobbins
Story at a Glance Bus transportation will be at no charge from three parking lots in close proximity to the base.
Free parking will be provided at Lockheed, Six Flags White Water and Jim Miller Park.
Buses will start running to the base at 8:30 a.m. both days, Oct. 16 and 17.
No one will be permitted entrance to the base after 1 p.m.
Return rides to the parking lots will be available throughout the day.
Photos
1 of 6
U.S. Navy Blue Angels in action. Photo courtesy of the U.S. Navy Blue Angels.
Download HiRes

Canadian Forces Snowbirds in action. Photo courtesy of the Department of National Defence, Canada.
Download HiRes

Download HiRes

Canadian Forces Snowbirds in action. Photo courtesy of the Department of National Defence, Canada.
Download HiRes

Download HiRes

Download HiRes

Navy Blue Angels and Canadian Snowbirds heading to Wings Over Atlanta 2010 Air Show at Dobbins

Posted 10/8/2010 Updated 10/8/2010
Email story Print story

10/8/2010 - DOBBINS AIR RESERVE BASE, Ga. -- Join thousands of people from across the Atlanta region on October 16 and 17
at Dobbins Air Reserve Base bi-annual "Wings Over Atlanta 2010" Open House/Air Show.

The free air show will begin at 8:30 a.m. and end at 5 p.m. both days.

This year's premier flying acts will feature the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels
and the Canadian Forces Snowbirds.

Other performers will include:
U.S. Air Force Academy Wings of Blue - Opening Ceremony
Red Eagle
Dan Buchanan
Gary Rower
Bill Braak Smoke-N-Thunder
Kent Pietsch Jelly Belly
Dobbins C-130 Airdrop
Otto The Helicopter
F/A-18 Hornet Demo
Georgia State Patrol Helo Demo
Viper East F-16 Demo
Sean D. Tucker/Oracle
numerous military and civilian static displays

With limited parking on Dobbins, base officials contracted to greatly
increase the bus capacity to bring spectators onto the base. This year, the
bus transportation will be at no charge from three parking lots in close
proximity to the base. "Free parking will be provided at Lockheed, Six
Flags White Water and Jim Miller Park. We greatly appreciate the generous
donations these organizations have provided with respect to the parking
which will help ensure the success of the Dobbins Open House/Air Show.
These three locations will provide approximately 10,400 parking spaces for
visitors, a 2,000 space increase over the prior Air Show in 2008," said Col.
Timothy E. Tarchick, 94th Airlift Wing commander.

Buses will start running to the base at 8:30 a.m. both days. Return rides
to the parking lots will be available throughout the day. No one will be
permitted entrance to the base after 1 p.m.

"During our last show there were some 80 buses transporting people to and
from the base," said Lt. Col. Steven Drosos, air show director. "We could
have used more in 2008, so this year we greatly increased the bus
requirements."

"We would like to take the opportunity to thank Mr. David Hankerson, Cobb
County Manager and the Cobb County Emergency Management Agency for their
assistance," said Colonel Tarchick. "We also thank the local law
enforcement from the Sheriff's Office, Cobb County and Marietta Police
Departments who will be in place to control the heavy traffic expected in
moving up to 100,000 visitors each day to and from the base and parking
lots." -

"Handicap parking will be provided on base with entry through the Windy Hill
Gate," said Lt. Col. Timothy Martz, 94th Security Forces Squadron commander.
"In today's environment, everyone must go through security prior to entering
the base. As such, the patience of all attendees is greatly appreciated for
this function will mirror that of a major sporting event. We anticipate a
large turn-out so delays should be expected in getting such a large amount
of traffic on and off base. When the air show ends we expect long lines on
base for buses returning attendees to the parking lots."

Due to security, visitors are not allowed to bring weapons, glass
containers, backpacks, coolers, except small coolers for baby formula and
medications, and/or pets to the Air Show. Baby strollers will be allowed.

For additional information and updates to the show, visit
www.dobbins.afrc.af.mil or www.wingsoveratlanta.com. These sites are
updated daily with additional information as new performers and sponsor
information becomes available.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Not sure it's gonna matter. You'll probably have to park outside somewhere and take one of the parking lot buses into the base anyways.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I worked at Dobbins for a short time on the F-22 project doing airspace security. The best place to park is going to be at the air force base ops which is adjacent to the flight line (not on the navy side - way too far of a walk). There will be free parking and shuttle service from the Lockheed side, but we would have to rely on shuttle service (about a 15 min ride) to the other side of the runway to the show area. They are expecting around 100k visitors each day so traffic is going to be a nightmare - arriving WAAAAYYY early is a good idea.

Don't forget to bring sunscreen and a hat - the parking tarmac is a great reflector for sunlight and even with temps in the mid-70's sunscreen isn't a bad idea.

VERY IMPORTANT - you cannot bring a backpack onto the base so anything you would like to bring in needs to fit in your jacket or a fanny pack tucked away. Security maybe pretty tight so if you decide to chance it you may end up loosing a back pack. Even if you make it through the gate once on the flight line there will be security and you may get flagged down and your pack taken away - not saying it will happen, but why chance losing a bag. I plan on using a small fanny pack tucked under my jacket.

A friend of mine is one of the performers so I definitely want to go. Saturday and Sunday are both looking to be great flying days, so it shouldn't matter which day. I'm probably going Saturday.

Anyone want to meet very early Sat morning and ride in through the Dobbins gate off Cobb Parkway?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Good infor Shawn, Thanks! My son has a soccer game on Saturday so I'm gonna see if I can't make it up there on Sunday instead. I hope it's not a complete fiasco parking and getting in & out that area.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wish I could change to Sunday, but I'm covering for a guy who is taking his son camping, so Saturday morning will be my only free time.

Here's a little more info for anyone going.
---------------------------------------
The earlier you're in line the better. There's only one operational gate on the Air Force side (Cobb Parkway/Delk Rd), so it's going to get a little busy quickly. Come in from Delk Rd and the gate will be on your RIGHT side so you're not turning across traffic.

Note - the airfield will be to the left of the road you will be traveling on once on the base (it's somewhat parallel to the runway). Don't follow my directions below if the air cops are directing you to a specific location. These aren't regular cops - they carry fully automatic weapons for a reason so it's a good idea to listen to them and not argue.

Once you're through the gate follow the signs for BASE OPERATIONS (same as airport management). I think it's about 1/2 - 3/4 mile from the gate but it's been awhile so I could be wrong. It will be located on your left-hand side. It's at the base of the air traffic control tower which is adjacent to the airport parking area (i.e. tarmac).

·
Registered
257 Posts
early

Better get up early boys.. I live 1 mile south of Dobbins.. watched the angels practice today as well as several other types of aircraft come in from who knows where..

pretty sure i saw a bi-plane and several WWII era fighters, an f20 or t38, f-16s - f-22s f-18s .. and a c5 galaxy.. of course there are always c130s there as well. you can bet that with free admission, it will be a madhouse.. especially since people that live in smyrna seem to love things that are cheap.

sadly, I'm leaving before the traffic gets bad.. going camping and riding my new bike

·
Registered
83 Posts
Flight Times

The Snowbirds & Blue Angels will not take to the air until after 13:00 hours if that is why you are going just to see them you have time. If you do not want to put up with the corwds find a North or South spot within a mile of the base and you will be just fine to watch and leave at you leisure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts