M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can it be done? I would like to keep 2.25" lowering bones and install air ride on it....also which air ride is for recomendation?is it better ride than stock?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Can it be done, sure, but you will kill your tire and likely your fender.

Air ride lets you drop all that way to the bump stop.

Bones put the fender in range before you reach the bump stop.

The question is why would you want bones and air ride?

If you want to ride at the bone height, only pump it up that far.

If you want clearance for corners, jack it up to stock.

When you park it, drop it to the floor.

No need for bones for any of that:D

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
I don't know if the Arnott lowers them more than the KewlMetal does, but I checked the clearance on mine with modeling clay when I had it on. With the KM fully lowered, it had just over 1.5" clearance, and that was right over the top of the tire. It might have been less somewhere else or on the sides of the tire.

I tried mine with the 2" Yana Shiki lowering bones and it bottomed out well before the shock had fully collapsed. You wouldn't want that to happen if a line blew off or you were trying to adjust it on the fly.

I'd like to try mine again either with 1.5" bones or a set of adjustable bones. That way you could run it low and still have some down travel left.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I can tell you with the Arnott and stock bones, my check valve faild so I had to ride a stretch with no air.

It was so close to the tire that the screws that hold in the tail light left nice groves in my tire.

I have since ground the inside of those down, but still, when it is dropped all the way, I have less than 1/4" clearance in spots.

·
Registered
430 Posts
So let me ask a question.... been asking FuturR about this and I appreciate his input...

I have a 10 inch rim, I have the modified swingarm coming from DLP... I WANT to put a 300 on the rear... I WANT to put an Air Ride on... it's the fender mod... is the fender mod required IF I put on an Air Ride with Stock bones??

THe Air Ride will be for parking lot pics... when it's time to ride, I intend to go max height...

Will this be possible?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

OK, I have to explain...I don't know how that air ride works - so you say you pump it on the hight you want?I didn't know that...I thought you can pump it max up or collapse down...if I can adjust hight I don't need bones, but why the others put them? Also do you have a clearence problem when collapsed on 280 or 300 tire with stock fender or with sumo-x fender like some guys mentioned? And is the Arnott the best solution and why? What about bouncing effect on higher speeds? I read something about that might happen...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
OK, I have to explain...I don't know how that air ride works - so you say you pump it on the hight you want?I didn't know that...I thought you can pump it max up or collapse down...if I can adjust hight I don't need bones, but why the others put them? Also do you have a clearence problem when collapsed on 280 or 300 tire with stock fender or with sumo-x fender like some guys mentioned? And is the Arnott the best solution and why? What about bouncing effect on higher speeds? I read something about that might happen...
Trying to answer some of what you have tangled in there:

From Zoom's response, it looks like the kewl metal system left you some room, which may explain why others have used bones with air ride.

The pogo you have heard of is also not a problem that happens in the arnott system as it is not a dual air bag system, but an actual spring.

In theory, you should not have any rub with the arnott slammed and up to a 280, but like I previously said, I had contact from the tail light mounting screws, which I have since take care of.

To do the 300 you need to mod the fender or go with another one, from what I understand. I have not gone to a 300 yet, so I am just passing on what I have heard.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
So you mean you don't get rid of the stock bones when you install the air ride?
Exactly.

At least with the Arnott system.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly.

At least with the Arnott system.
from what I understand - stock shock has its lenght with stock bones and air ride should work using that lenght from min to max position, if you put lowering bones it should prevent that you can't pump the air ride to its maximum hight, I don't see how it helps if air ride keeps some room at it's lowest position like KM? please correct me if I am wrong...?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have 1 1/2 bones , 10" 300 metz and had to mod all kinds of fender. I am on the list to get Arnott air ride. I know I will have to do more mods to fender when it shows up. Because I do not want no issues. I plan for the bad stuff to happen and pre plan so if something brakes in that air system. I still want to ride home and not ruin a $300.00 tire. Just my opinion. And you know what they say about them.
Good luck
Dam Guy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

sorry I am not native english speaker, can you explain those bump stops?Where are those stops ? Bones put fender between min and max position, bump stops are at it lowest position if I understand that and when you drop air ride you are at those bump stops or...?bones should prevent air ride to go to the highest position or...?
you can pump that while you are riding to desired position or...?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have 1 1/2 bones , 10" 300 metz and had to mod all kinds of fender. I am on the list to get Arnott air ride. I know I will have to do more mods to fender when it shows up. Because I do not want no issues. I plan for the bad stuff to happen and pre plan so if something brakes in that air system. I still want to ride home and not ruin a $300.00 tire. Just my opinion. And you know what they say about them.
Good luck
Dam Guy
I agree with you, I have a problem that I don't know exactly how that air ride works...if it loose air you will ride on its lowest position, so if you secure that you have clearence in the lowest position, than it should work OK if air ride brakes or something?Also I ma more concerned if I can ride well in the midle position somewhere between min and max position, and also I was surprised that different air ride systems has different hights at its lowest position...

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
bump stops are what you hit when your suspension is at its lowest point before hitting the parts of your inner fender (this will destroy your tire if they werent there.) now with more than stock bones if one of your air lines blows or you have a malfunction with your air ride system your fender would hit the tire before the bump stop would become effective. and that would trash your tire and be a very bad safety issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bump stops are what you hit when your suspension is at its lowest point before hitting the parts of your inner fender (this will destroy your tire if they werent there.) now with more than stock bones if one of your air lines blows or you have a malfunction with your air ride system your fender would hit the tire before the bump stop would become effective. and that would trash your tire and be a very bad safety issue.
so bump stops are on the suspensions shock? so how lowering bones influence bump stops, I don't understand that...I thought they just stop shock to go to the max position?when you changwe bones bump stops are at the same position as before...you just hit it sooner...because of shorter bones, is it not?

·
Registered
369 Posts
so bump stops are on the suspensions shock? so how lowering bones influence bump stops, I don't understand that...I thought they just stop shock to go to the max position?when you changwe bones bump stops are at the same position as before...you just hit it sooner...because of shorter bones, is it not?
ZELEZNY,
Just use the Stock Bones That way you will Have the Full Range of Motion.
Good Luck :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
So let me ask a question.... been asking FuturR about this and I appreciate his input...

I have a 10 inch rim, I have the modified swingarm coming from DLP... I WANT to put a 300 on the rear... I WANT to put an Air Ride on... it's the fender mod... is the fender mod required IF I put on an Air Ride with Stock bones??

THe Air Ride will be for parking lot pics... when it's time to ride, I intend to go max height...

Will this be possible?
Since no one else will respond. Yes, the fender has to be modded. The 300 is so wide that, in stock form, it will not fit. It will hit/rub both inner sides of the fender. The space between the sides has to increase. Lets just say for figures, if the fender is modded correctly, you should gain roughly 1/2" or a bit more. Not only does the fennder have to be modded, but when you put the fender back on, the right side fender strut needs to be spaced out a small amount. This is not work for the leary, need to take your time and a bunch of patience--will not be a plug and play thing. The fender has detented ribs that have to be taken out and then welded back up---that is where most of the space is gained. Those ribs run, starting from the top, down the sides of the fender. You can see these when you pull off the rear seat easily---then you get a idea of the space gained. Air ride, lowering bones, stock bones, does not matter-----when running the 300---you have to mod the fender. Looks best with air ride though.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
The pogo you have heard of is also not a problem that happens in the arnott system as it is not a dual air bag system, but an actual spring.
I'm not sure where the pogo effect story got started. I ran the KM system for close to 2 years and it never pogo'd on mine. I guess if you inflated it all the way up and didn't add any pressure to the back side of the piston it might do it. And we have lots of curves with lots of bumps, so there was plenty of opportunity for it to do it. And the KM is an air cylinder, no bags. It looks just like a big air cylinder with an air line attached to each end of it.

So you mean you don't get rid of the stock bones when you install the air ride?
You have to have bones on any of them. The bones are what locates the suspension linkage to the bike and gives the shock linkage a point to pivot around.

The bones are the diagonal piece in the picture below. You can see how they attach to the frame and the shock linkage, then the shock attaches to the linkage to dampen the movement. And you can see how if the shock got shorter, such as when letting air out of an air ride, the linkage would pivot around the bones and lower the bike. This also shows how changing the length of the bones changes the height of the bike. The longer the bones the lower the bike will sit, since it raises the swing arm location. Kind of sounds backwards, but look at your bike and picture what happens when the swing arm moves up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts