M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all! i have a platinum bleed feed system. about 4 yrs old. havent ridden bike since late june due to relocating. cleaned and polished tonite to ride tomorrow. air ride went up n down a couple of times. then the last time i went to air up. i pressed up toggle and it actually went down. pressed damping toggle and went down also. kept hitting up and it buried itself down. after a few tries i hit release toggle and it popped up an inch or so. i hit up toggle and compressor runs but no height. i hit release toggle and it will pop up in small increments. im guessing its the relay...any help appreciated

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,049 Posts
I had the old Kewl Metal air ride, which works about the same as the Platinum. It had two two-way toggle switches. One switch worked the primary side, the other worked the secondary side. Either switch if flipped in one direction would run the compressor, flipped the other way they opened the valve and released air from whichever side the switch was working.

So you activated the primary switch to run the compressor and raise the bike, then activated the second switch the run the compressor and add some back pressure to the secondary side to control the amount of dampening you wanted. And you had to play them back and forth a little to get the right height as adding back pressure also raised the bike back up a little.

Is that how yours works, or do you have 3 switches? I wonder because you said you had a damping toggle, or maybe that's the same thing as Kewl Metal called the secondary toggle.

On the Kewl Metal it wasn't uncommon for debris to get in the air valve and make it do the wrong thing. Mine never did, but I remember it coming up on here pretty often.

Here's a Youtube video on how the KM air ride worked.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello thank you for your reply. yes it works as you explained with the 2 toggles. possibly it is clogged with debris.there are 3 air lines coming off the manifold. which one do i blow air through? do i blow air from manifold end or from piston end?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,049 Posts
Air goes in through the tube from the pump. If yours is like the one in the video, it has an inlet on one side and two outlets on the opposite side that run to the cylinder. I would say you blow through the outlets if you want to try that.

I think you have to take it apart to clean it though. Even the air coming out the outlets moves back through the valve when you lower it. I've never had to take mine apart so I'm not sure how that works. I think Harris, bigpapaXCT had one and he may have cleaned it before. I know someone on here posted about cleaning them before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts