M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a BAK from my bike. Haven't decided if I want a hypercharger, BAK or do the ducks mod with KN filters. QUestion is about washing the bike or getting caught in the rain with a BAK. Since hte filter is exposed do you have to cover it in some way? I"m one of those who makes sure their bike is spotless every ride so it gets washed a lot. Just would like to know if they are kind of a pain in that respect.
Thanks,
Michael

ALso feel free to give feedback on intake options.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
People have been running after market intakes in the rain for years with no issues. Personally I would go with the ducks. That way you can have a one of a kind intake and spend a little less $$ with the same results. Keep in mind that the intake tube goes up into the air box.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
or PM pynikal and go with the sleeper mod. definitely more HP to be gained from this mod than any other air intake mod.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
I run an exposed filter and have been caught in some massive rain storms, plus have washed it with a hose and got the filter soaking wet. All either one did was left a little residue on the bottom of the filter where some of the filter oil mixed with the water and ran out. It won't hurt the bike unless you drop it running in a mud hole.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I don't think our bike or any bike create that much vacuum to suck water in the intake...
Sure it does.

It is not a problem though.

You can run small amounts of water through a motor with no ill effects.

In fact, there has been experimentation with water injectors to help cool a strained motor.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
In fact, there has been experimentation with water injectors to help cool a strained motor.
It's been used a long time, back as far as WWII on some of the airplane engines. I put a kit on my turbocharged SVO Mustang back in the late 80's. There are still all kinds of kits on the market, and I've made a couple using the windshield washer tank and pump from a car.

That might help mine keep from spark knocking under load..... hmmmm.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Sure it does.

It is not a problem though.

You can run small amounts of water through a motor with no ill effects.

We used to spray some in just to clean up some of the carbon inside of the engine. But that was 25 plus years ago.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
It's been used a long time, back as far as WWII on some of the airplane engines. I put a kit on my turbocharged SVO Mustang back in the late 80's. There are still all kinds of kits on the market, and I've made a couple using the windshield washer tank and pump from a car.

That might help mine keep from spark knocking under load..... hmmmm.
We used to spray some in just to clean up some of the carbon inside of the engine. But that was 25 plus years ago.
Exactly. I was not really looking to go into all of the possible or claimed benefits of water injection, but you are both on the same page with me here.

My theory on why it is not more commonplace is in cost.

The big drawback to routinely running water through your motor is corrosion.

Straight H2O would not be a great problem, but most water is full of all kinds of salts and chemicals that do bad things to hot steel over long term exposure.

So, for a sustainable system you would be using distilled water and aluminum, stainless steel or plastic from start to finish.

Aluminum blocks are common enough, but stainless exhaust systems are still a little pricey.

Once we see plastic blocks and exhausts we may see more water systems.

This is a bit off topic, so to the OP: there is no need to worry about the small amounts of water you can take into your motor in normal operation with any intake you want to consider.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a BAK from my bike. Haven't decided if I want a hypercharger, BAK or do the ducks mod with KN filters. QUestion is about washing the bike or getting caught in the rain with a BAK. Since hte filter is exposed do you have to cover it in some way? I"m one of those who makes sure their bike is spotless every ride so it gets washed a lot. Just would like to know if they are kind of a pain in that respect.
Thanks,
Michael

ALso feel free to give feedback on intake options.
I run exposed filters and have ridden on torrential downpours where you couldn't see what was 10 feet in front of you and had no problems. Water was pouring out of my filters however I doubt very little if any of it made it up into the engine.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The big drawback to routinely running water through your motor is corrosion.
One of the byproducts of the combustion process is water .Hence the water that drips out of your muffler... I think one of the idea's of the water injection is to have the water broken down during the combustion process to hydrogen and O2 , thus creating more power.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I think one of the idea's of the water injection is to have the water broken down during the combustion process to hydrogen and O2 , thus creating more power.
Not quite. To separate the hydrogen and the oxygen you need either a chemical or electrolisis process. The water is then converted into a gas that is a combination of hydrogen and the oxygen aka 'Brown's Gas'. Heat and burning fuel will only make steam.

Adding Brown's Gas into your motor could add power. However, carrying enough of it is not practical and generating it on-board has efficiency problems.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Not quite. To separate the hydrogen and the oxygen you need either a chemical or electrolisis process. The water is then converted into a gas that is a combination of hydrogen and the oxygen aka 'Brown's Gas'. Heat and burning fuel will only make steam.

Adding Brown's Gas into your motor could add power. However, carrying enough of it is not practical and generating it on-board has efficiency problems.
thanks for the science lesson :D

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
What's the "sleeper mod" and does a ducks intake give the same hp benefits as a bak?
If you put K & N filters in your stock boxes, then the Ducks mod is as good as a BAK.

The Sleeper mod is removing the entire airbox assembly and putting filters directly on the intakes, up under the tank. It breathes in hotter air, but you can run a tube from outside up to that area to get some cooelr air up there. The Sleeper mod eliminates the entier air intake assembly thus making it much more free-flowing than anything that just replaces the air filters. I am not sold on doing that myself, and am replacing the Edelbrock filters that have been on mine for four years with Big Air assemblies.

Its good enough for me.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts