M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More than one technician at my dealership claims that there is no better air filter than the one the bike came with and that the dyno numbers are not accurate. I am not a "gear head", I just want my bike/car/lawn mower to be faster and more powerful. One guy also said that the airborne sand particles down here in South Florida are fine enough to penetrate an exposed filter like the Thunder mfg. Tornado kit (or any K&N setup), and that any gain would be more than negated by the potential damage the particulates could cause.

I am embarrassed to ask if the claimed HP gains are real world, why the hell would anyone do them if not? But I would like to hear the experts opinions.

Hal-
I see you are in South Florida also. Any truth to the sand claim?
 
G

·
FL109er said:
More than one technician at my dealership claims that there is no better air filter than the one the bike came with and that the dyno numbers are not accurate. I am not a "gear head", I just want my bike/car/lawn mower to be faster and more powerful. One guy also said that the airborne sand particles down here in South Florida are fine enough to penetrate an exposed filter like the Thunder mfg. Tornado kit (or any K&N setup), and that any gain would be more than negated by the potential damage the particulates could cause.

I am embarrassed to ask if the claimed HP gains are real world, why the hell would anyone do them if not? But I would like to hear the experts opinions.

Hal-
I see you are in South Florida also. Any truth to the sand claim?
Its all a matter of what you want out of your bike. Its a great bike as it comes from the factory. But a lot of us want to make it better (I will let you decide what better is).

As far as the sand comments - - - where do these guys have the time to dream up this stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
I cannot think a k&n with oil,will not stop sand.as far as more air.I would think you would have to re adjust the parameters if you can since it is a closed system.I don't have too much to say about dyno's. A stop watch don't lie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
If an aftermarket filter is not good enought to filter something as coarse as sand you would be in trouble.
I think the "tech" you talked to should stick to oil changes and pumping up tyres only.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, enough said. I will keep my place in line for the Thunder Tornado Air kit. If nothing else, they look cool as hell!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
VTtwinner said:
That Florida sand thing is a load of Fritz.  :joke:
:a18:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
VTtwinner said:
That Florida sand thing is a load of Fritz.  :joke:
I agree. I went last week to pick up the parts for the first service. The dealer only gave me one crush washer for the oil change. I told him no this has 2, he scratched his head and came back with another one that was smaller than the first one. I then asked about the crush washer for the final drive, oh he says. He comes back with one like the first one. I then said what else do I need. He says he checked the book and I also need to change the plugs. So he comes back with 2 plugs. I didn't say anymore just took what I knew I needed and figures I would return the rest.

I know this is a new bike but come on. This dealership sells Yamaha, suzuki and Kawasaki. That is a lot of bikes but there are only a few new models and once you have looked up the basic, shouldn't a good dealer know what the bike actually calls for. He didn't even know how many plugs it had.

Changed the oil and sure enough both drain plugs are the same size, thankfully I had 2 because I asked for the crush washer for the final drive also.

I just don't get dealers who don't know what they are talking about . I was looking at the same dealer for kury peg mounts to see what would fit. Went through everthing they had and nothing worked. This guy just kept asking me what pegs I wanted and he would find out which ones would fit. I kept telling him, I don't need pegs I just need the adapter. I told him again and again, it doesn't matter which pegs they all fit, I ony need the adapter.

Guess what I never got an adapter. Hey Hal do you know what adapter works?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
what's a crush washer? sounds like something i need since i plan to do my own oil changes from here on out.
 

·
M109Riders Founder
Joined
·
8,014 Posts
FL109er said:
More than one technician at my dealership claims that there is no better air filter than the one the bike came with and that the dyno numbers are not accurate. I am not a "gear head", I just want my bike/car/lawn mower to be faster and more powerful. One guy also said that the airborne sand particles down here in South Florida are fine enough to penetrate an exposed filter like the Thunder mfg. Tornado kit (or any K&N setup), and that any gain would be more than negated by the potential damage the particulates could cause.

I am embarrassed to ask if the claimed HP gains are real world, why the hell would anyone do them if not? But I would like to hear the experts opinions.

Hal-
I see you are in South Florida also. Any truth to the sand claim?
Anything is possiable if you don't know what you're talking about. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
phaed said:
what's a crush washer? sounds like something i need since i plan to do my own oil changes from here on out.
Metal washer that goes under oil plug. It is folded over and semi-hollow, and when you torque it down it gets crushed. Hence the name. I believe it is called an oil gasket in the Suzi fiche though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
K&N, Airaid and similar wetted gauze type filters flow air but do not trap dirt particles especially in places such as Florida where high amounts of silica are present in the ambient air. K&N states in their own literature that the it filters better as it gets dirtier. Some Einstien wrote that.

Those filters are intended for racing applications and do not meet OEM requirements. I know, I use to sell them.

We are waiting for AMSOIL to start producing bike filters similar to the Auto, Truck filters they now are producing. This is technology right from Desert Storm, designed to keep our Tanks, Vehicles and Helicoptors running. Flows as good as a K&N but filters 50 times Better and is less expensive with a 4 year life expectency.

Stay with the stock filter for now.
 
G

·
Oil Doc said:
K&N, Airaid and similar wetted gauze type filters flow air but do not trap dirt particles especially in places such as Florida where high amounts of silica are present in the ambient air. K&N states in their own literature that the it filters better as it gets dirtier. Some Einstien wrote that.

Those filters are intended for racing applications and do not meet OEM requirements. I know, I use to sell them.

We are waiting for AMSOIL to start producing bike filters similar to the Auto, Truck filters they now are producing. This is technology right from Desert Storm, designed to keep our Tanks, Vehicles and Helicoptors running. Flows as good as a K&N but filters 50 times Better and is less expensive with a 4 year life expectency.

Stay with the stock filter for now.
With no offense intended, Amsoil is not the creator of all things good. And if you really understand air and filtration you would have to agree that "flow" and "filtration" have a contrary relationship. Just cause Amsoil says it doesn't make it true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
You are correct when looking at old technology. New things come along everyday and this is one of them. Sorry if the way I wrote it made it sound like it is AMSOIL's technology, it is not. After re-reading what I wrote, I can see how you concluded that. My fault for incomplete explanation.


The filters were developed and Patented by Donaldson for the U.S. equipment used in Desert Storm including tanks and helicoptors. Shortly after Desert Storm started, they were experiencing huge problems with the fine desert sand getting through the current filter systems, Donaldson engineers went to work to develop a new Nano-Fiber material which is now used in Donaldson and AMSOIL air and oil filters.

You can go to Donaldson.com to see more about Nano-Fiber Technology. The tests have shown the same flow as a K&N and 50 times more efficient at removing dust/dirt.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
If you want some excellent filter material to place in you air cleaners check with the military mechanics who keep the M-1 tanks running in the deserts of Iraq. Those tanks have Turbine Engines which suck air like it was going out of style. If you want the perfect "test bed" for proving filtering material efficiency, check with some folks who are in uniform and know what "DUST" is all about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
Bob.. That is EXACTLY the Media that I am referring to. It was developed by Donaldson for use in those severe conditions.

A joint venture between Donaldson, AMSOIL and a couple other filter companies was formed and now these filters, using Nano-Fiber technology, are available through AMSOIL for many auto, truck and RV applications.
 
G

·
Not to get too technical but this is the filter that Donaldson sell for most vehicles. Does this equal 50 times better filtration?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
heh, statistics. that chart sure looks amazing til ya read the left column :p.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top