M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks: Thought I'd share with those of you, who like to do their own fabing or are on a budget, a great source for "Air Filter Backer Plates". First I'd like to thank that kitchen diva, Martha Stewart for the great array of kitchen products. I think she had the 109 in mind when she introduced "black cutting boards" :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Cutting boards you ask? What the heck does that have to do with the 109 intake system! Plenty :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Your source of material for this project is in K-Mart's kitchen section. Visit there and you'll find Martha Stewart "Utility Boards" for $8.00 each. You'll need two :D

The first step is to cover the board with tape so you can apply marking lines using your stock air cleaner cover.

I used a Sharpie to trace the stock cover and left a good margin, approximately 1/8 inch along the entire cover.

Martha must have had this in mind when she selected the dimensions of the Utility Board. A perfect fit as you can see :bigthumbsup:

This material is easily worked with a saber/jig saw. Just cut along the line and presto, one rough cut backer plate.

Lay you stock air box on the plate and mark the mounting holes. The tape is left in place so you can easily see the locations which have to be drilled!

You now have the exact locations for your mounting screws. Simply drill the holes and the plate will fit/line up with the air box.

I dressed the edges of the backer plates with my belt sander. This gives the plates a nice, uniform edge :bigthumbsup:

I was fortunate enough to have some thicker material ( 1 inch ) in addition to the 3/8 inch thick utility board so I made sets in both thicknesses.

This is the back side of the 1 inch thick filter plate after I routered out the cavity to match the airbox. I used both a drill press and 1/2 inch router bit and Dremel Tool with roto rasp to accomplish this task.

These are the plates after the back sides have been routered. I used the Dremel to cut the two lower relief holes. The top plate ( orange ) is some foam carpet pading I had laying around. It will make a good seal when the backer plate and airbox are joined together. The foam will require a cutout for air access but that will happen after I select the filters I'll finally be using.

This is the left airbox mounted to the backer plate. I used the OEM screws to fasten the units.

A few pics of the plate mounted. Once I select filters I'll cut the air inlet holes!

After searching local auto stores I finally found the filters I like. Pep Boys had Spectre High Flow Cotton Fiber Filters. You oil and wash them just like K&N's. At $16.00 a pop they were reasonable when compared to other re-usable filters. I was impressed at the total filter area of these filters as the center portion is also cotton fiber. The filters are just over 6 inches in diameter and I routered out the backer plate 1/4 inch to accept the filters.

Finally got the all the gaskets completed and the backer plates with filters are mounted. I'm really pleased I selected the Spectre Filters and I think the finished product speaks for itself. The Spectre were available in four different colors, red, blue, yellow and white, which I used. A friend gave me some K&N Filter Oil in a spray can so I'll be treating the filters shortly. I used a 1/4 X 20 X 2 " long stainless button allen bolt to secure the filters to the backer plates. The nice thing about this set-up is you can remove the filters for washing, oiling ect. without having to remove the entire airbox assembly. I'll be picking up two "shower caps" to cover the boxes and filters for whenever I wash the bike.

This mod does not require the altering of any of the stock OEM parts, which allows the bike to be returned to its original configuration :bigthumbsup:

Wanted to add these last photos which show the filters with the K&N oil applied and the backer plates which now have the edges routered. As was mentioned earlier in this post, I used the white fiber filters because it's easier to see when the oil is properly applied to the fiber. Spectre makes the filters in several different colors but it would be difficult to see/check for proper oiling with filter colors other than white.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Re: Air Filter Backer Plates

great job. love to see people find new uses for every day objects.

There is a black board called Sintra(expanded PVC) that we use in the sign industry that I can buy in 4x8 sheets. If i can create a CAD file for a template, we could rout about 50 of them in 20 minutes or so. only problem is that it doesn't like extreme heat changes, cold to hot tends to cause it to warp. I'll look around though, may be other materials that could easily be used.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Great Job Bob, I guess you counter sinked the holes and then drilled in and tapped it so to speak I guess all you would have to do is drill smaller holes than the screws and there you go. Did you shave away the inner airbox outline or did you just press it in place, its alittle taller than the box.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

BearCom said:
Great Job Bob, I guess you counter sinked the holes and then drilled in and tapped it so to speak I guess all you would have to do is drill smaller holes than the screws and there you go. Did you shave away the inner airbox outline or did you just press it in place, its alittle taller than the box.
On the 1 inch thick material I used my Dremel Tool to router out the airbox shape and hole reliefs. The 3/8 plate will eventually have hole reliefs cut and a foam gasket applied. This plate would be used for the Eldelbrock or Holly Triangle filter while the thicker plate will be used for a K&N. I'll be adding some additional photos of the backsides of the plates for clarity.

·
Registered
401 Posts

I going to do one out of 1/2 in aluminum, where did you get 1 in material ?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

BearCom said:
I going to do one out of 1/2 in aluminum, where did you get 1 in material ?
A friend of mine works for a company that makes laminate sheeting. You could check with a local demolition company and see if they have any "used" bathroom partitions. That's basically what the material is. I was fortunate enough to get solid black sheeting!

·
Registered
401 Posts

It aint that much heat for 1/2in and the shineablility with aluminum is sweet. I do have a 90deg with custom fittings to go in the air intake under the tank and flange size to fit 5 1/2 K&N,BUT failed to realize one thing :edit: The right is for cyclinder 1 and the left is for 2, which left is set back further than the right so oopps! The right is good but the left has to be redone, heck I proablly will redo both. Would post some pics of it right now but I'm not at home,will Later.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Air Filter Backer Plates and Spectre Filters w/PICS updated 10/18/06

The original post has been updated with photos of the finished product. One of our members thought this set-up should be called the Jail House Series in appreciation of Martha Stewart :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
532 Posts

BlkM109r said:
great job. love to see people find new uses for every day objects.

There is a black board called Sintra(expanded PVC) that we use in the sign industry that I can buy in 4x8 sheets. If i can create a CAD file for a template, we could rout about 50 of them in 20 minutes or so. only problem is that it doesn't like extreme heat changes, cold to hot tends to cause it to warp. I'll look around though, may be other materials that could easily be used.
Try Delrin.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Incredible. Great job! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

J R said:
Nice work Bob :bigthumbsup: Martha would be proud ;) :bigthumbsup:
Thanks JR......The filters look even better with the red K&N Filter Oil applied :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts

Finally Martha is good for something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Larrys109 said:
Did you notice a gain any performance?
My "seat of the pants dyno" tells me yes :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

Great idea to use that material...congrats. The filters look good too. Nice job Bob!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Excellent and Creative... I give it a :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Overall with highlights on the cost and a slight :eek: for dramatic effect!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts