M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a lot of people use leaf blowers to dry their bikes, and I may still go that route, but I am considering a heated dryer that I can use on both my bike and my Golden Retriever.

The Air Blaster has been around for a long time, but I am considering the "Air Shammy." Does anyone have experience with this company?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I know that a lot of people use leaf blowers to dry their bikes, and I may still go that route, but I am considering a heated dryer that I can use on both my bike and my Golden Retriever.

The Air Blaster has been around for a long time, but I am considering the "Air Shammy." Does anyone have experience with this company?
Depending on how hot of air, I wouldn't use anything heated on a Lab. Their skin and oils are too sensitive and you will severely dry them out and cause loads of dander. I always tied the dog up on the front porch until he was dry then used a leave in conditioner. He always had great hair and skin.:bigthumbsup:

This was Count. Our partner for many years. I think he was about 8 in this pic. Weighed out at 120. He was from a breeder in Kansas.

·
Administrator
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your concern. I do not think the heat is very high, and it can be turned off too. The Airforce brand actually markets theirs for pet dryers as well as a motorcycle dryer.

But I do appreciate the comment. I would not do anything that would hurt my girl. She's 8 1/2, and is recovering from a nasty bout with Lymes and Anaplasmosis right now. I hope to get a clean bill of health from the vet later today when results from the bloodwork come back.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have no experience with the dryers but your dogs are beautiful!! Love dogs! I'm going to start a thread! Lol

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Thanks for your concern. I do not think the heat is very high, and it can be turned off too. The Airforce brand actually markets theirs for pet dryers as well as a motorcycle dryer.

But I do appreciate the comment. I would not do anything that would hurt my girl. She's 8 1/2, and is recovering from a nasty bout with Lymes and Anaplasmosis right now. I hope to get a clean bill of health from the vet later today when results from the bloodwork come back.

View attachment 87983
HP, I have 4 little fury family members...two Shih Tzus and two Cane Corsos. I wouldn't use heat to dry either of them. Old Towels (just for the dogs) work just fine. Also, it is not good to wash/bath dogs too often. It can cause them to have skin irritations from the essential oils being eliminated from their skin.

As for the bike...I hardly ever use water to clean my bike. The few times I did I blew the excess water off with my leaf blower immediately after rinsing it off from having been caught in the rain. Now I watch the weather report daily to make sure I don't get caught in the rain. If you are washing your bike I would think that blowing the excess water off with heated air is going to cause it to spot very badly. Also, the water could get into something electrical and cause it to malfunction.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
would one of these do the same for drying the bike ?

just attach the hose to the exhaust side & put a filter on the intake port.
they also sell a set of blower nozzles.

·
Administrator
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I only wash my dog every few weeks. She gets stinky from swimming in a pond at doggy day camp! I don't wash my bike much either, but when I do I'd like an easier way to dry it, especially the areas you can't get very well with towels. As far as water getting into electrical, that's pretty unlikely. Bikes are made so they can be ridden in the rain and are waterproofed. These dryers are not strong enough to blow water past seals and o-rings.

As far as the shop vac - I have one where the top comes off and acts as a blower, but it's not very effective as a bike dryer. I used someone's portable Airforce Sidekick at the MAM and it did a fairly nice job. No water spots. That's what got me on this kick.

My golden retriever actually likes the hair dryer on it's lowest setting, but that's not very effective. Her long thick hair takes hours to dry. Maybe I'll just get the dryer without heat, or not use the heat.

So, I guess nobody has any experience with this company... (so far)

EDIT: - OK, it's not really heated air - "Remember that you are drying water on a painted surface. An excessive amount of heat will not be a good thing for your expensive paint. The heat we gain comes only from the electric motor as the air passes over the motor before exiting the blower tube and nozzle. We do not use an auxiliary heater since this could cause the paint to bubble and damage. The 25 degree increase of air is from ambient temperature. If you are drying in the winter in 40F temperature, then you can expect about 65F coming out of the nozzle. Please allow 5 or so minutes for the motor to heat up and warm the air."

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
After I wash my bike I use my air compressor to remove most of the water from the bike. I then use a couple of lint free drying cloths reserved for drying my bike. I then wax the entire bike. Doesn't take very long and it's worth it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
what dryer... put her in 3rd and drop the hammer lol that'll dry her off.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Id stick with a leaf blower for bike, assume u already have one, and towels for the dog:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

In Newmarket, the newest drive-in bay washing establishment has air-dryers and credit card operated. No change, and a air dry right after a wash.
Come in handy.

·
Registered
669 Posts
After I wash my bike I use my air compressor to remove most of the water from the bike. I then use a couple of lint free drying cloths reserved for drying my bike. I then wax the entire bike. Doesn't take very long and it's worth it.
Same here! My Air compressor does a great job. Instead of waxing it, I started using Mother's detailer. Works pretty good

·
Administrator
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After I wash my bike I use my air compressor to remove most of the water from the bike.
Same here! My Air compressor does a great job.
An air compressor has a couple of issues:

• Unless you have filters and dryers on the line, it can spray moisture, dirt, and oil
  • The pressure is high enough to damage paint and force water into places that it is not supposed to go

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.