M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys... did this one yesterday and rode 130 miles today... noticed some heat (not much) and twice it backfired when letting off throttle at 6000 RPM, some slight popping... I'm running debaffled cobra dragsters, JSD on the way but not on yet.. I do believe I'm going to need the cobra FI2000R....

Question: Does the backfiring means the ECU compensated too much and gave it too much fuel or just the apposite..

Thanks Casey
some pics for your viewing enjoyment...

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1424422&pid=2227726
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1424422&pid=2227727
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1424422&pid=2227728
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1424422&pid=2227729
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1424422&pid=2227725

·
Registered
752 Posts
opposite. Lean = Backfire

Looks good :bigthumbsup:

perhaps with my stock tailpipes it's not moving as much air as you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks L Train.. wasnt sure on that... Thanks for all the details on the MOD.. couldnt have done it without...

Casey

·
Registered
898 Posts
yes decel popping = lean

Ok I asked this question on one of the other posts about this mod and I did'nt see a response to it... So I will try again... I have not removed the air boxes to look ...

Are the spots on each side symetrical for doing this mod.... It looks in the pics as if one sits further forward than the other is this the case or did I have a bad angle?

khrome

·
Registered
398 Posts
khrome13 said:
yes decel popping = lean

Ok I asked this question on one of the other posts about this mod and I did'nt see a response to it... So I will try again... I have not removed the air boxes to look ...

Are the spots on each side symetrical for doing this mod.... It looks in the pics as if one sits further forward than the other is this the case or did I have a bad angle?

khrome

they're not symetrica......right hand side sits farther forward than left side.

G

·
cowboy casey said:
Question:Â Does the backfiring means the ECU compensated too much and gave it too much fuel or just the apposite..
I have a carb bike and on my case: Popping on decel does not neccessarily means lean.

It could also be a result of a bad seal in between your cyl heads and your pipes.. Did you change your crush gaskets when you installed the new pipes... I have found it in good practice to re-torque the pipe side nut/bolt that go into the heads as they tend to loosen up some with vibration and time. Blue thread locker seems to help with that on the pipe side of the bolts...

Also when I run debaffled it seems to provoke more pooping in my case. Again my bike is carbed, but they should be similar scenarios...

Hope this helps! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Cowboy,

Thanks for the heads up, this is just a suggestion. Make sure on your air intake mod that you have tight seals on all of your connection points. From previous bikes I've had if you're taking additional air from a loose connection on accel it will stutter (getting to much air) or decel your bike will run lean and backfire. Are you hearing an induction sound when your bike is idling from both air filters? Just a FYI.

Cormierone

·
Registered
752 Posts
M109R Fan said:
I have a carb bike and on my case: Popping on decel does not neccessarily means lean.

It could also be a result of a bad seal in between your cyl heads and your pipes.. Did you change your crush gaskets when you installed the new pipes... I have found it in good practice to re-torque the pipe side nut/bolt that go into the heads as they tend to loosen up some with vibration and time. Blue thread locker seems to help with that on the pipe side of the bolts...

Also when I run debaffled it seems to provoke more pooping in my case. Again my bike is carbed, but they should be similar scenarios...

Hope this helps! :bigthumbsup:
Fan, you just described a lean bike. With the seal being loose or the baffles out it is moving more air out of the system so it can move more air in. The less restrictive exhaust is sucking more air through and leaning out your bike.

G

·
The intake looks real good. Where did you get the assembly that mounts to the intake tube? Is it metal or plastic?
Thanks,

oldold

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its the plastic chromed peice that comes with the 90degree piece.. it is not functional as it is to small to bolt together, but it does stay there and does not move... i am trying to find another way to mount the rubber tube to the 90 degree fitting...

Casey

·
Registered
961 Posts
Casey,

I did the air intake mod and I noticed popping in both filters as with the stock air boxes it was also running a little hot. I have the JSD-3M and I also installed the FI2000R and ran it with the default settings, it's 90 degree out side with 85% humidity. I adjusted the green setting from the 1 setting to 2 1/2 the popping stopped completely it's running way cooler and definitly has more bottom end punch. The green setting is basically from idle to 4000 rpm. The setting for yellow and red seem to be fine at default settings. I'm not racing my bike or anything close so the FI200R takes care of the leaness from the factory and with the air intake mod the bike runs and sounds perfect.

Cormierone

P.S. I've noticed that the stock pipes are louder.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Cormierone

Where are you located?

I think my altitude might be why I am not running much leanness. I am at 5,300 ft.

And my pipes are louder too :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
961 Posts
L-Train,

I'm in Chester Virginia. I don't know what the elevation is here.

C-One

1 - 16 of 16 Posts