M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the Fi2000r and some new K&N filters on the bike. Fairly easy install and a lot more responsive (didn't know it was possible!) In the original air boxes, there was an air intake hose that led the outside are in. On the install diagrams, it was not pictured. I have an '08 M109R. My question is, are those needed? I took them out just cause I figured it would make for better air flow. - Also, I remember reading something about this a while back, but I could not find the thread. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
There are no hoses that let unfiltered air into your system.

If that is what you found, something on the other end of your hose is disconnected.

Do you see your line here?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I think he is talking about #32 in the pic. They are to make the intake quieter.
I agree, and do not know what year they started installing them. My 06 did not have them, nor does my friend Sam West's 06. Also I saw a picture once on this site showing a big difference in the size of the intake hole on the back of the intake. The 06 is quite large, 07 and on are noticably smaller.

If this was my bike, I would remove the #32 tube and take an X-Acto to the hole making it larger. I did this exact thing to my wife's M50, which had a hose similar to this in its intake. Made it slightly louder, no improvement in performance that I can tell.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Its your air intake hose. Unless you do a ducks mod, thats how air goes into your air box. The air goes into the tubes, which flows through the air filters and then goes into your air boxes which go into your throttle bodies.

Do you need them, no. You can do what Cbxer said and remove them and make the hole larger to get more air into your filters. Or you can leave them on. Its all about your prefernce

I think those tubes were installed on the '08's and newer

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have an 08 M109r2 with the California smog implements:barf: and I've never seen them and I run K&Ns in the stock housings, I'm thinking their reason for them is for smooth air flow thru the air filter housings but, possible to keep rain or other water out of the filter housings. Just a thought.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I'll just leave them out and move on to the next mod!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I think he is talking about #32 in the pic. They are to make the intake quieter.
Seems that way.

He said "Air Box" so I figured he was talking about what is marked 33 in the diagram as that is the air box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts