M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my spark plugs and did the marble mod (similar effect as block off plates) And now I am having trouble re-attaching the air box to the throttle bodies. Anyone have any tips or tricks to get those suckers to slide back on. ??? I have already tried a little PB blaster on the lip of the rubber and used a screwdriver to try and get it into position. I also have everything else hooked up so there isn't anything underneath stopping the airbox from dropping down. So I gave up for tonight and I will go at it again tomorrow after I finish at the range. Any advise would be welcome. Oh and I tried to search for this before anyone jumps on me for not using the search function.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I just changed my spark plugs and did the marble mod (similar effect as block off plates) And now I am having trouble re-attaching the air box to the throttle bodies. Anyone have any tips or tricks to get those suckers to slide back on. ??? I have already tried a little PB blaster on the lip of the rubber and used a screwdriver to try and get it into position. I also have everything else hooked up so there isn't anything underneath stopping the airbox from dropping down. So I gave up for tonight and I will go at it again tomorrow after I finish at the range. Any advise would be welcome. Oh and I tried to search for this before anyone jumps on me for not using the search function.
Use the search!!! J/K:evil: Bro, you just have to play with it. It really isn't hard, just tedious. Take your time, slide it into the rubber 1st, then line up the rest. PM RicoChet. I understand he is an expert on these now!:doh::joke:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The first time I put it back on, it went right on the second try. 10 minutes and it was done.

The next time I had it off, I lost count of the number of attempts. I had 2 hours into it before calling it a night and then another hour the next morning.

lube it up and keep trying until it goes in. It is just that easy, or that hard, whichever your situation is that day.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The rear should go on fairly easy. Do that and then start the front. You will need to use a long skinny screwdriver to get the lip of the boot worked over the throttle body. I have tried the front first in the past, but have had much better luck doing the rear first. Also you can use that screwdriver from either side of the bike to accomplish it.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok I will try to take the other connections loose and slide the rear boot on first. I was just going by the service manual that said re-install in reverse of tear down. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Make sure the clamps are as loose as you can get them. I used some windex as lube on the boots. Good luck!! Sometimes they go on real easy :D, other times the are a real bitch!!:verymad:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
windex....hmmm. Ok I will try that. Guess it is the same principle of "lick it before you stick it" I figured the PB blaster would do the trick but the windex might help even more. Thanks Irish

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
jd. you ve been around here long enough that you no longer have to use the search. the search is for the new guy!
you did the right thing. just walk away and it will come to you tomorrow. i dont know how many times i ve been in the same situation and somehow it works out every time. you ve got this bro!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jd. you ve been around here long enough that you no longer have to use the search. the search is for the new guy!
you did the right thing. just walk away and it will come to you tomorrow. i dont know how many times i ve been in the same situation and somehow it works out every time. you ve got this bro!:bigthumbsup:
Oh I still use the search, if I am curious about something I will research it to see if it is something that I might need to throw into my "toolbag". I was just joking about somebody jumpin my case, I figured Hink would chime in. Thanks man, enjoy the weekend!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,147 Posts
It takes some force, don't be too gentle with it. I use Windex on mine too as I wanted something that would dry out after it was on.

I don't recall which way goes on best, either put it on the rear then pull back hard while pushing down, or the front on first then push forward while pushing down. Kind of picture how it needs to hit under there.

And every couple times I have to pull off one of the air cleaner boxes and reach up to the boots with a long screwdriver and work them on.

And remember to plug the PAIR valve solenoid back in. It's bad enough getting the air box back on without finding out afterward you forgot to plug the solenoid back in. :redfaced:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It takes some force, don't be too gentle with it. I use Windex on mine too as I wanted something that would dry out after it was on.

I don't recall which way goes on best, either put it on the rear then pull back hard while pushing down, or the front on first then push forward while pushing down. Kind of picture how it needs to hit under there.

And every couple times I have to pull off one of the air cleaner boxes and reach up to the boots with a long screwdriver and work them on.

And remember to plug the PAIR valve solenoid back in. It's bad enough getting the air box back on without finding out afterward you forgot to plug the solenoid back in. :redfaced:
I made sure to TRIPLE check ALL the connections before trying to slip on the intake boots. But it will be staying apart long enough for me to get my shipment from DLP, Blue Lion and Rynosback since having the tank and radiator shroud off helps with clutch cable and stebel install.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Oh I still use the search, if I am curious about something I will research it to see if it is something that I might need to throw into my "toolbag". I was just joking about somebody jumpin my case, I figured Hink would chime in. Thanks man, enjoy the weekend!
buddy, i use the search too and it has paid off most of the time. i ll see you in june bro! cant wait!:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,147 Posts
I made sure to TRIPLE check ALL the connections before trying to slip on the intake boots. But it will be staying apart long enough for me to get my shipment from DLP, Blue Lion and Rynosback since having the tank and radiator shroud off helps with clutch cable and stebel install.
JD, don't pull the shroud to install the clutch cable or the Stebel unless you already have it off. You can run the power wire for the horn around the air box and fish it through the shroud in front of the tank. You only need to drop the shroud forward a little to get to the stock horn.

For the clutch cable, unhook it at top and bottom. Tie a heavy string about 4' long to the old cable at the top end, then pull it out from the bottom. Tie the bottom end of the new cable to the end of the string, then use the string to pull the new cable in. Once the bottom end of the new cable gets down near the motor mount, untie the string and put the cable on top of the mount. The original ran under it, which puts strain on the cable. From there you can easily run it along the frame back to the transmission mount.

That makes the cable change a 15 minute job, and it gets routed exactly as the old cable was except for pulling it from under the mount. Even with the shroud off it's not fun trying to get the new cable through all the stuff up front, but the string makes it easy.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the airbox on and the windex helped alot, it only took 10 minutes and a beer to get it in. I also didn't take the radiator shroud all the way off, I just took the top part loose to give my hand room and I also wanted to check my coolant level. So I am in a hold pattern until my parts come in to install the stebel and my new Ducks setup. I can't wait to hear the difference with the marbles and some better plugs installed (stock ones still looked good), as long as the pop on decel is better I will be happy. Thanks again for all the helpful tips and tricks. Dosen't matter how closely I follow the manual there is no replacement for a good guy with experience telling you what worked for them. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look forward to meeting you in June at the meet...................very sharp bike.
June can't get here fast enough! Our bikes have some similar traits with the silver and the POW MIA covers. I will see how much I can change mine up so that nobody gets our bikes mixed up in Virginia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts