M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well fellow 9ers I just found out something enteresting :eek: and thought I'd share and see if the same applies for you in your area (State) ???.
Scanario:
I've had my 'with passenger' license for sometime now and consider myself a great driver however I still want to stay in the confines of the law. Nieces & Nephews LOVE Uncle TJ . . . or atleast his Bike:confused:. Since my passengers to this point have all been adults I decided to call the local PD :cop: and see what the age restrictions for passengers were for NC. To my :eek:SUPRISE:eek: the Sherriff said, 'NC doesn't have an age restriction.' To which I replied 'ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?':doh: So I took the 2 Nieces and Nephew for a ride; they are all 8 and up.:bigthumbsup:

The scary thing is that technically someone crazy enough in NC could ride an infant on there 2 wheeler Legally!
So this raises the question ???; what are the rules in your state? Are they smarter/safer than NC?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Well fellow 9ers I just found out something enteresting :eek: and thought I'd share and see if the same applies for you in your area (State) ???.
Scanario:
I've had my 'with passenger' license for sometime now and consider myself a great driver however I still want to stay in the confines of the law. Nieces & Nephews LOVE Uncle TJ . . . or atleast his Bike:confused:. Since my passengers to this point have all been adults I decided to call the local PD :cop: and see what the age restrictions for passengers were for NC. To my :eek:SUPRISE:eek: the Sherriff said, 'NC doesn't have an age restriction.' To which I replied 'ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?':doh: So I took the 2 Nieces and Nephew for a ride; they are all 8 and up.:bigthumbsup:

The scary thing is that technically someone crazy enough in NC could ride an infant on there 2 wheeler Legally!
So this raises the question ???; what are the rules in your state? Are they smarter/safer than NC?
You have a special "with passenger" rating on your license? Never heard of it! No such thing here in MN.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
None in Mass either and I'm shocked. This state is strict on everything. One article stated that they need to reach the pegs, but not officially.

·
Registered
389 Posts
In Canada (Ontario at least), we have the following:
M1 class: no passengers, can only drive in the daytime, 0% BAC, limited speed roads
M2 class: allows passengers, 0% BAC
M class: no restrictions

There is no age limit but passengers must have appropriate helmet and their feet must be able to touch the footpegs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The 'with passenger' ratings simply means actual License vs permit. When you take and pass the book test only you have a 'permit' which inables you to ride all you want with out a passenger. Once you go back and take the actual 'riding portion' through the cones and stuff you get the M on your license which allows you unlimited driving with or without passengers. No M1 or M2 classifications. This may be why NC has so many bike accidents. Of course it could be the blind 8) 4 wheel drivers also.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
In Mass, when just on a permit, you can NOT have a passenger. It isn't mentioned on permit, but when studying and taking the exam, it's made known. I don't think you can go out of state either. Around me here, that limits your riding area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In Canada (Ontario at least), we have the following:
M1 class: no passengers, can only drive in the daytime, 0% BAC, limited speed roads
M2 class: allows passengers, 0% BAC
M class: no restrictions

There is no age limit but passengers must have appropriate helmet and their feet must be able to touch the footpegs.
So far Canada wins the Safest MC Passenger Requirements Award :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
In Kentucky

You have to have half your teeth missing. :eek:

·
Registered
746 Posts
In Western Australia, you learn while being followed by a licenced rider, take the test after you are ready and have passed the written test of course. You are then restricted to 250 cc motorcycle for the first year. I was already a Canadian rider and just applied for the new licence...:doorag:

·
Registered
465 Posts
In Western Australia, you learn while being followed by a licenced rider, take the test after you are ready and have passed the written test of course. You are then restricted to 250 cc motorcycle for the first year. I was already a Canadian rider and just applied for the new licence...:doorag:
In NSW, you do your L's written test and stay upright course and away you go, 6 -12months later you do ya P' stay up right course and 12 -24 months later you get a full licence!

·
Registered
174 Posts
In Queensland kids must be at least 8 before you can carry them but I'd be surprised if too many knew this.

Sent from a place far far away
using Tapatalk

·
Registered
907 Posts
In Queensland kids must be at least 8 before you can carry them but I'd be surprised if too many knew this.

Sent from a place far far away
using Tapatalk
That's interesting. There doesn't seem to be a minimum age here in nz but one requirement is that they can reach foot pegs. I suppose you have to make sure your kid has enough self preservation instinct to hang first. :D

Sent from my portable microwave emitter

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW! All the rules are soooo different across the board! :eek: I guess I'll just have to ride dutch the whole time. :bigthumbsup: This ensures 2 things....
1) I stay married

2) I get to ride as crazy as I want

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
So is this cool??

·
Registered
976 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.