M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one have them and do you think it sounds and looks better i need sound any help please let me know :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
personally the modified stockers sound better than the aftermarket 2-2's out there. I you ever listen to the 109 with 2-2's on it you will know what I mean. I guess if this bike had a single pin crank pin on it it might sound better with those pipes but it's just loud and flat sounding. I have yet to personally hear a 2-1 on it yet but I am betting they will sound way better and perform better too. the Sideburner from DG or Hardkhrome is supposedly shipping now but there are stories about the performance from these so you may want to check out the dyno sheet first. Vance & Hines are working on a 2-1 but are tight lipped about the final look or when they ship. It could wind up looking like the 2-1 they show on their website on the V-Rod there on the first page or could look like the classic Pro Pipe megaphone but they did say in an e-mail to me the design "could" be different than the standard Pro Pipe. Hacker pipes has theirs being made right now with some being sent to the chromers already but no data as of yet on the Dyno sheet numbers. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love the way my Cobra dragsters sound but I lost some performance. With winter coming and the girlfriend not wanting to ride due to the cold I am going to go with the JR type fabrication of the stockers. When she's on the back I can't play. :D If you decide you are interested I'm going to sell the Dragsters. I will probably sell them for 250.00 + shipping. Just PM me.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
ChuckyC said:
I love the way my Cobra dragsters sound but I lost some performance. With winter coming and the girlfriend not wanting to ride due to the cold I am going to go with the JR type fabrication of the stockers. When she's on the back I can't play. :D If you decide you are interested I'm going to sell the Dragsters. I will probably sell them for 250.00 + shipping. Just PM me.
Are you running any FI controller? And if so have you tried Dyno tuning with the Cobra's? It may be that you are just running pretty lean... which you can fix.

·
Registered
168 Posts
steve j said:
I guess if this bike had a single pin crank pin on it it might sound better
I still haven't seen a diagram of this engine.....so are you saying the connecting rods don't go to the same place on the crank hence it doesn't sound like a Harley? Also is this how Honda Yamaha Kawasaki and Victory build their engines? I've been curious since I heard it running the first time .......doesn't really sound like a Harley.
Dave

·
Registered
696 Posts
PretentiousBastage said:
I still haven't seen a diagram of this engine.....so are you saying the connecting rods don't go to the same place on the crank hence it doesn't sound like a Harley? Also is this how Honda Yamaha Kawasaki and Victory build their engines? I've been curious since I heard it running the first time .......doesn't really sound like a Harley.
Dave
page 3-71 of the VZR1800 Service Manual... shows the crank very well... two individual rod journals... hope this helps...mjm

·
Registered
13 Posts
steve j said:
personally the modified stockers sound better than the aftermarket 2-2's out there. I you ever listen to the 109 with 2-2's on it you will know what I mean. I guess if this bike had a single pin crank pin on it it might sound better with those pipes but it's just loud and flat sounding. I have yet to personally hear a 2-1 on it yet but I am betting they will sound way better and perform better too. the Sideburner from DG or Hardkhrome is supposedly shipping now but there are stories about the performance from these so you may want to check out the dyno sheet first. Vance & Hines are working on a 2-1 but are tight lipped about the final look or when they ship. It could wind up looking like the 2-1 they show on their website on the V-Rod there on the first page or could look like the classic Pro Pipe megaphone but they did say in an e-mail to me the design "could" be different than the standard Pro Pipe. Hacker pipes has theirs being made right now with some being sent to the chromers already but no data as of yet on the Dyno sheet numbers. :bigthumbsup: Â
I heard the Sideburners on a burple M109. Its loud! Correction, a good powerful thunder loud. I didn't like the one huge pipe and the slash cut faces outward towards side.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
pipefitnfool said:
does any one have them and do you think it sounds and looks better i need sound any help please let me know :bigthumbsup:
Do a search, it seems every week there is another mostly better exhaust shown on here.

For a start drill out the center first 2 plates in the stock exhaust. I am not sure how much better they might flow, but for the $12 you spend buying the correct drill bits you get $500 worth of sound.

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
with lamonster and Jr and a few others on here they have put together some really nice pipes you might want to do a search and look at what some have done and with some of the pipes there are sound clips which will give you a basic idea what they sound like...... :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
for what its worth, I fitted cobra slashdowns and played heaps with the baffles in differnet combos to get a very cool, but not excessivly loud sound.
I ended up with the "lamostser" washer trick in the end of the std cobra baffles, and NO glass packing and the baffles are NOT turned around.
I believe this is pretty much like a torque cone or thunger monster baffle.
Personally, ( and the sound of a bike will always be personal choice...) mine sound like twin cyl heaven and I can ride without upsetting the neiaghbours too much. :bigthumbsup:
Mind you when I get on it hard and run it to the limiter, she does REALLY bark loud and get her voice back :bigthumbsup:

I also think they look pretty good, albiet it little too long. Might cut them down soon like I have seen another guy on this forum do to his cobs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
109guy said:
nice view from up there
Thanks bud.
Heres another view of my town, Perth WA taken from about halfway down the aptly ZigZag Rd.
Thats Perth you can see way off in the distance.
The ZigZag is a 4.5km trip from up on the Darling Range down to the flats. Its a true zigzag with 180 degree switchbacks for EVERY corner.... Usually covered with pea-gravel. A hairy ride on fat 9er, thats for sure, but fun as hell. Its the last part of my fave track I go for a run on if I need to blast out cobwebs.
cheers mate.

·
Registered
422 Posts
perthguy said:
The ZigZag is a 4.5km trip from up on the Darling Range down to the flats. Its a true zigzag with 180 degree switchbacks for EVERY corner.... Usually covered with pea-gravel. A hairy ride on fat 9er, thats for sure,
Try it at 100mph++ in a Rally Car .... 2mins 13sec bottom to top :eek:
Pea gravel+bitumen+rally tyres=SIDEWAYS

·
Registered
936 Posts
pipefitnfool said:
i have cobra slashdowns which i think sound good, i did the block off plates and this thing at an idle sounds as good as the 1800 Honda with Vance and Hines (jmo) to me.
the only other pipe i would run would be the hacker as it did gain 5 or 6 horses on the dyno not to mention it looks better than the hard chrome poc or the v&h 2 into 1 thats supposed to be coming, hacker will probably out perform all, only one close would be Jr's again jmo.
like Hal said its hard to get both(looks and performance) you either get one or the other.
if you want sound like a harley buy one.

you can now start the mud slinging

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I run Cobra Drags. There are pretty loud, but I think the sound is all business. A definite tight performance bent to it. I know a lot of folks are enamored with the single pin crank sound, especially at idle, ala H-D. I didn't buy a 109 to spend a lot of time idling and profiling, though. I leave that to the H-D boys. Besides, they usually get to listen to my pipes under the Doppler Effect. :doorag:

moto said:
if you want sound like a harley buy one.
+1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts