M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum. I have read it for months but never had to post any thread. (FYI i speak french, sry for my translation)
I would really appreciate your input on that. Here or by email, it would be really appreciate.
I have done the swap for the M109 rear wheel. When the mechanic installed it, he told me that there was a friction that stop the wheel to spin freely. So he had to put 2 small spacers on the right side of the wheel. This done, everything seems to be ok, but when i look at the bike (License plate) from behind, the tire seems to be slightly on the left side by a couple of millimeters (7 i would guess). You guys that has done that modification, are you getting the same result or my dealer did something wrong?
I have a M90 2009 and i used a 2009 M109 rim and everything listed in other threads.
It does not seems to affect the maneuverability in any way.

Thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
First :welcome: to the site!! :congrats: on the bike!! I have the stock wheel on my 9 and it's not quite center. I noticed that after I did the de-beaver job. I think that is just the way it is. :-\ Enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
What size tire do you have on the rear? The only thing that would prevent the tire from spinning freely would be if you have a 250 on there as it rubs against the drive shaft. Did you reuse the M90 bearing spacers or did you purchase M109 bearing spacers? Although I don't think that would prevent the tire from spinning freely.

My rear rim is centered, but if you de-beavered and installed the plate holder off center it would only make the tire appear off center.

My only guess is you may have a 250 tire on the rear and your dealer installed the spacer to keep the tire from rubbing against the drive shaft. If that is the case I would take off the 250 and get the 240 ASAP. By stretching out the swing arm like that you could end up breaking the welds and the results would be catastrophic!

If you can, post up some photos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't want to go with the 250. I Stayed with the 240 dunlop E3.
My fingers does not pass between the tire and the drive shaft but there is space, so it is not rubbing.

Deputy, as you describe in previous post, i bought the M109 bearing spacers. The only thing i kept was the bearing themselves since they were in good shape.

The guy told me that there were friction when he did not insert the spacer. I really don't know where the friction was. The wheel was spinning but not as usual, he said.

I will try to put some photo as soon as i get back home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Purple, sry for the delay.

The plate holder is the original one, should be centered i guess.
I just got home and took some picture of the rear wheel.

You will be able to see that the tire is not centered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Josh.

That's what i will do when i do my own plate holder, it's just that the tire appear on the side of the plate holder. I can't move them around too much with my fiberglass saddlebags.

Yes it will look better if move the plate a little, but still, i am curious to know if others that made the same modification are having the same result. I just want to make sure that i did not miss or did something wrong.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I was just busting your chops, bro. From the other responses, it looks like it's no big deal, aspurplengold83 said. Ride safe.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I wouldn't think they'd have to take the entire tail section off to install the rim...my guess is the f'ed something up, otherwise why would the tire not line up with the tail section. I still would like to know why the tire wouldn't spin freely.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Something isn't right. Mine seems to be on center after the swap. Maybe they messed up putting the bearings back in and damaged them somehow?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think i will get the bike back to the dealer so he can verify if there is something wrong or at least try to align it.

I will get an explanation on what he mean by the friction he told me about. I pick up my bike 10 minutes before they close, i didn't got the chance to have a good discussion.

You guys have the 2009-2008 wheel (64100-48810-12Z) or the 2007 (64100-48810-YD8)?
If i remember correctly, i have read post that said they were identical, but i am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just called the guy to have some more detail about the mod.

Here is what he said (Please forgive my poor vocabulary) and explain to me.

It seems that simply the core of the M109 rim wheel is 7mm smaller then the M90 rim. He said that even the Brake lever (whatever the name is)has that couple of millimeter difference adkustment between the 2 bikes. He had one by the side of my bike when he installed it.

He told me that the friction was due to the millimeters difference.
The swingarm was getting forced when bolted and the bar was getting a slight torsion.

I may sound picky, it's getting the first thing i remark when i look at the bike. He also said that it was not really possible to add spacers on the left side to adjust it.

Any idea?

(guess that i will have to change my plate holder faster than i thought)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess your mechanic left out one of the axle spacers, most likely on the caliper side...this might be why the wheel would not spin freely as it would cause the disk to bind on the caliper.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Did you ever check back with your mechanic? I tired to duplicate the angle of the photo you took of your bike with one of my bike for a side by side comparison (mine is on the right).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Deputy,

Yes i went back to my mechanic.
The difference i see is only the 2 spacers i have on the right side.
If i compare the length of the screw, it seems that this is the only difference. In your case, won't it put too much stress on the swing arm if the wheel itself is narrower by 7mm ?

You have not added any spacer on the Drive Shaft side?

Would you mind to put a pic of your bike from behind? I will have the mechanic see the picture to show them.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have the spacers in there on both sides, but they are the Suzuki spacers that are supposed to be in there. Just my guess, but the ones your mechanic put on are just washers...which leads me to believe he may have accidentally left one of the spacers out.

#12 (circled in red) is what I'm assuming your mechanic left out, but by your photo it appears it's there. Perhaps the washer (#15) was left out? :dontknow: All I know is he should not have to add any washers...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Verdict?

I was wondering if Coast got this figured out?

I've done this mod recently and my rear wheel is also off centered. Looks very similar to Coast's, only I didn't put the extra washers in. I will say with reinstalling the rear brake, it took me awhile to line it up with its bolt, but it did go in without issue. Also, I did not lose any parts and put them all back exactly as I took them out. Mine is not debeavered, so it is fairly noticeable. I just thought once I debeavered it, I would slide the plate over to make it look centered... I wonder what the others that have done this looks like that have not debeavered?

·
Registered
743 Posts
i think you will find that the 109 wheel does pull the brake side swing arm in if you have a look at deputys pic there is alot of thread showing now if someone with a 90 rim could post a pic you will see less thread . the same thing happened when i put the 109 rim on i noticed that when doing up the nut it was pulling the swingarm in but there is no rubbing or binding so i left it on

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Dada,

I didn't got the chance to go to dealer last week, job was taking too much of my time.
I will go see them this week as soon as it stop raining.

But i am really afraid that there is not much to do with it. I know them from many years and i completely trust them.
They explain the reason that the M90 and M109 rims have 7mm difference. So it is as Gav explain, its the brake side of the swing arm only that suffer that 7mm.
But still, i am not sure since Deputy wheel is centered.
I will post back as soon as i talk to my dealer. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts