M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made it home from Knoxville today.  I think this is the end of my traveling for a while.  At least until we do our Sturgis Solitary ride at the end of July.

I have had the M109 for about 3 weeks and have 3,000 miles on it.  Even changed the oil while I was on the road.

But today I actually had two close calls.  First was a lady in a Lincoln SUV who was trying to dial her cell phone and she kept running onto the median of the Turnpike and kicking up rocks right into me and did all this at 90MPH.  I gave her two chances then passed her on the right got right in front of her and gave it a few taps of the brake to make her pay attention.  She slowed down real fast.

When I was almost home I was traveling on the Sawgrass expressway right after the toll booth.  3 lanes headed west.  I was in the right lane and was gonna merge in a few miles as it cuts down to 2 lanes.  This guy in a blue Nissan SUV came flying up in the middle lane and then started to jump into the right lane where I was.  I hit the horn and let off the throttle so he wasn't going to hit me but when he realized what almost happened he freaked out.  Hit his brakes and got back in the middle lane.  I thought all was well but he started to follow me.  I had noticed that he had Illinois plates so figured he would get lost once I got off and headed towards my house on the surface roads.  He probably figured I didn't know the area as I have N.C. plates on this bike.

As I got off of the exit ramp I could see him getting off but I lost him after a few turns to my house and never saw him again.

I am sure that somehow in his mind that it was my fault that he didn't look to see if I was in the lane.  I saw it coming and it waslike I watched him in slow motion.

All I can say is keep your eyes on everybody.  Their goal is to try and kill you.  But of courrse they don't mean it and they will be sorry and apologize and might even attend your funeral to show their kind heart.

All eyes on everybody.  Always leave yourself a spot to move if you have to.

My Dad was a truck driver in his younger years and always preached that you should never put yourself in a spot that makes you rely on someone else to get out of harms way.  I try and follow that all the time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glad to hear you are safe. Cagers are dangerous but I think SUV drivers are even more so. They can't see around them as well, they handle like tanks, and the typical SUV driver think they are safe cause they have an SUV thus they take more risks. No real scientific tests here just from on-road experiences.

·
Registered
572 Posts
TheXRavenX said:
Glad to hear you are safe. Cagers are dangerous but I think SUV drivers are even more so. They can't see around them as well, they handle like tanks, and the typical SUV driver think they are safe cause they have an SUV thus they take more risks. No real scientific tests here just from on-road experiences.
I agree totally with this statement, I see so many WOMEN driving them, with tons of kids in the car with them, acting as if the SUV is on auto pilot, paying attention to EVERYTHING ELSE, but the road...

I drive a big black truck, REALLY HARD to miss me on the road, and I have had MANY close calls with SUVs almost hitting me, as their drivers were NOT paying attention...

If they almost hit me, in a huge TRUCK, makes me wonder how many close calls they have had with smaller vehicles, especially a bike...

They need to outlaw cell phones for women drivers if you ask me, my wife even AGREES with this... she said that women JUST DO NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO TALK AND DRIVE... lol

I wish legislation or something could be passed, to help the cause of riders... this is so messed up!

·
Registered
176 Posts
There should be a test at the DMV every time you renew your licence proving that you have the ability to use a cell phone and drive at the same time. Interactive if you know what I mean. Put them in the room with a cell phone and a video screen with obstacles along the way and a written test afterward about what they saw and did.

Kinda like a flight simulator.
:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, women on cell phones and cars don't mix well. My wife and I commute 80 mi. round trip to and from work everyday. My wife will definately agree that women driving while on the cell phone are the worst drivers and the most dangerous on the road.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I carry everytime I leave the house and thank the good Lord I have never had to pull it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's easy to feel "ten feet tall and bulletproof" with all that metal wrapped around them.

I work with a fella who, when he's walking around at work, is a mild-mannered - maybe even considered meek by some - human being. Get him behind the wheel of his big F-250, though, and he turns into a raving lunatic. I rode to lunch with him one day and I couldn't believe the total personality change. He tailgated, dropped f-bombs, blew his horn at random cars and drove 80mph on a 55mph highway. When a car changed lanes so he could pass, he changed lanes, too, and rode their @ss, just to show them that they didn't get out of his way fast enough. On the way back from lunch, I told him to take it easy or let me out of the truck. He got pissed at me, slammed on his brakes, drove 40mph and sulked the whole way back to work. This guy's gonna pop a vein some day driving down the road :confused:

This is exactly the kind of person that I would have no problem taking out his windshield with a rock. For someone to run me over because they wanted to feel more "manly" and get to wherever they're going 45 seconds sooner is senseless. There's no way to change their personality, so if I have to I'll change the appearance and functionality of their vehicle (weapon) :duck:

·
Registered
849 Posts
We all know the type Trouble Is they really have no business on the road. I've got friends who are always "packing" too when they're out. Sometimes I don't know what scares me most. I do know it's a jungle out there and suevival goes to the tough and/or the swift. Thank the 109 for allowing me to be swift.
Normally, on my bike, I'm always looking for, and driving in a safe pocket trying to avoid the dangerous jerks we have to share the highway with.
It just so happens my main "cage" is a rather intimidating Ram Hemi that I use for trailering and rainy days, and when I have to use it, I purposely drive safely and courteously to share the road rather than hog it.
On another note, I lived for quite a while in Fort Collins and spent every spare minute in the surrounding mountains and parks. Your pics sure make me miss it.
Jer

·
Registered
154 Posts
A lot of people here say that they wish there was a law against cell phone use while driving. In NY where I live there is - and the women driving SUV's are just to busy to obey it along with evrybody else. I still see a phone glued to the head of every third driver weaving down the road.
The law is completely ignored and not enforced.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Texas legislature actually did pass a bill banning cell phone use while driving without a headset or hands-free system in use. And I've never seen anyone get pulled over for it here.. hell here in Austin the COPS drive around nuts while talking on cell phones IN thier patrol cars!

Its not just women believe me.. Men drive like $hit while on the phone too. My job requires me to use a cell phone quite often and I'm constantly pissing off my boss by not answering the bloody thing cause I refuse to answer it while I'm behind the wheel, headset or not. Basically the feeling I have whether I'm in my truck (which is a rather hefty F150 super cab) or any other vehicle, is to expect those around me to drive in the worst possible way that they can and do the most stupid things they can... so far I've never been disappointed.

Hal, I'm glad your safe brother and I hope you too have a concealed weapon permit! I know I do and a desert eagle .50 cal to go with it.. never had to use it anywhere but the range thank god cause I'm relatively sure it would destroy an aluminum engine block with one hit :evil:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Kinda hard to conceal a desert eagle .50 cal, What are like 10 feet tall-LOL . But hey if you can do it, the Desert Eagle will stop anything coming your way that was not invited. :bigthumbsup: Heck I only pack a little S&W .40 in a concealed holster worn inside the back of my jeans while riding. I have only squeezed one round thru a .50 and that was one shot to many and besides I wasn't even on the paper-whoops. Z 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DHandyman said:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Texas legislature actually did pass a bill banning cell phone use while driving without a headset or hands-free system in use. And I've never seen anyone get pulled over for it here.. hell here in Austin the COPS drive around nuts while talking on cell phones IN thier patrol cars!

Its not just women believe me.. Men drive like $hit while on the phone too. My job requires me to use a cell phone quite often and I'm constantly pissing off my boss by not answering the bloody thing cause I refuse to answer it while I'm behind the wheel, headset or not. Basically the feeling I have whether I'm in my truck (which is a rather hefty F150 super cab) or any other vehicle, is to expect those around me to drive in the worst possible way that they can and do the most stupid things they can... so far I've never been disappointed.

Hal, I'm glad your safe brother and I hope you too have a concealed weapon permit! I know I do and a desert eagle .50 cal to go with it.. never had to use it anywhere but the range thank god cause I'm relatively sure it would destroy an aluminum engine block with one hit :evil:
This may tick a few people off but my Grandaddy told me "that a gun will get you in more trouble than it will get you out of".

·
Registered
593 Posts
"that a gun will get you in more trouble than it will get you out of". Worked for Billy the Kid :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Cagers really need to get a grip on he wheel and let the cell phone go....I see so many people on phones...eating , messing with navi systems...
talking very emotionally with someone in the car...it's terrible.

·
Registered
752 Posts
lawdog said:
To all the "Rambos" who carry firearms and even think of displaying, menacing, drawing down, etc. on a cager...

You will be arrested and charged with a serious FELONY !!!  Firearms are not the way to deal with traffic-related encounters. Nothing good will come of it. I can guarantee it !!!

lawdog :cop:  [don't make me beat you with a rubber hose]
Isn't that how the movie 1st Blood (Rambo) began? Some small town law officer beating Stalone with a rubber hose? That turned out well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts