M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've ridden my M109 130 miles, while it made me grin from the power and ease of handling...it made me wince from using the peddles. I'm 5'8" and the way its adjusted right now is for someone just a little taller. How can I adjust these...does anyone else have this problem...can you show pics of the proceedures? HELP :eek:

Devilish

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
wrong forum and you didn't use the search feature. battin 0 for 2.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
DevilishEyes109 said:
Hi All,

I've ridden my M109 130 miles, while it made me grin from the power and ease of handling...it made me wince from using the peddles. I'm 5'8" and the way its adjusted right now is for someone just a little taller. How can I adjust these...does anyone else have this problem...can you show pics of the proceedures? HELP :eek:

Devilish
It's pretty simple, just pull the shifter or brake off of the spline and rotate it where you like it. I'm going to play with my brake peddle a bit.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Just a reminder. I dropped my brake lever 2 notches. Any more than that on mine and the footpeg mounting bracket would have interfered with full application of the brake. just be sure you can push hard and not hit bracket. Brakes are sort of important!
Jer

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lamonster said:
It's pretty simple, just pull the shifter or brake off of the spline and rotate it where you like it. I'm going to play with my brake peddle a bit.
Oh I forgot to add I'm mechanically challenged ::)...I can do it if I know where to start...what tools are involved...steps. I'd like to try it so whats first? Will the same apply to the shifter?

Devilish

·
Registered
76 Posts
DevilishEyes109 said:
Oh I forgot to add I'm mechanically challenged ::)...I can do it if I know where to start...what tools are involved...steps. I'd like to try it so whats first? Will the same apply to the shifter?

Devilish
I second that!!!! and also thanks, for you "few" guys that are actually constructive in your response.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Get your hands on some metric allen wrenches. This uses a 6 or 8 millimeter, if I remember correctly. You may have to cut the allen wrench to make it shorter because the engine case, peg mounting bracket and exhaust gets in the way after one turn of the wrench. Get some pliers and remove the spring. Take the bolt completely out. Pull or tap on the brake pedal to take it off the knurled shaft (you may want to mark the shaft and the brake pedal before you remove it so you can tell how far you moved it). I moved mine two splines and that was plenty. Tap the brake pedal back on the shaft, reinstall the bolt and tighten it. Make sure to reinstall the spring and check the brake light switch to make sure the brake light still lights up when you apply the rear brake. I am comfortable with the shift arm so I didn't mess with it, but it's been said that the procedure is about the same for it. :bigthumbsup:

If I've forgotten anything, please speak up :redfaced:

Edit to include: I rotated mine Forward, toward the front of the bike, so my foot wasn't resting on it while riding.

·
Registered
535 Posts
:eek:

Wow...I didn't think to do it like this. If you look at the picture above, I made adjustments further towards the middle of the bike (left of the picture). I adjusted the 2 bolts mentioned in the owners manual. Seems to work fine for me. I'm just curious to know if there is any benefit to adjusting the lever by taking it completely off, as mentioned above.

:eek:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Dec,
That explains why when we PMed. we weren't entirely on the same page. You had done something different than the adjustment I was talking about. I removed the lever and then replaced 2 splines further down. I didn't realize you were working further back. And yes, 2 splines is about as far as you can reasonably go without the possibility of the lever being interfered with by the mounting bracket.
I went down real hard one time and broke lots of bones because I wasn't cautious enough when doing some brake mods so I'm a little careful in this area.
Jerbear

·
Registered
535 Posts
jerbear said:
Dec,
That explains why when we PMed. we weren't entirely on the same page. You had done something different than the adjustment I was talking about. I removed the lever and then replaced 2 splines further down. I didn't realize you were working further back. And yes, 2 splines is about as far as you can reasonably go without the possibility of the lever being interfered with by the mounting bracket.
I went down real hard one time and broke lots of bones because I wasn't cautious enough when doing some brake mods so I'm a little careful in this area.
Jerbear
Yup

I just hope the way I did it will not alter the affectiveness of the brake. I took it for a ride after fiddling with the light adjustment and pushed down on the rear brake much harder than I normally do. I hear it squeel for a half a second when I really push on it...maybe that is the norm though since I have yet to push hard on the rear brake.  :)

I'm just wondering if there is any difference to the functionality of the brake by adjusting it the way in the manual vs taking the lever off the spline. Any input?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Did anyone adjust the brake lever the same way that I did? ..

Seems like most people took the lever off entirely and adjusted it down a "notch" or two.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did it the way you did...per the manual...and it works great. Just be sure you turned the brake light switch a few turns to compensate for the adjustment and then test it for proper operation...no worries :bigthumbsup:

G

·
I adjusted mine yesterday what a difference!! I dont have to hang my foot off the edge now.. I just removed the 10 mm bolt and slid off the brake lever and moved it foward 2 splines. Dont think you can move it foward any further than 2 or you will be asking for trouble. I can lock up the back tire with no problem.
You shouldnt have to adjust the brake light switch at all because doing it this way doesnt change the position of the switch, it is on the other side of the shaft.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks Dragon_Strik ...
 Not sure if I want them though. I can totally reach everything. I just dropped my brake lever down. It still does not interfere with me being able to stretch my legs out and :doorag:rest them on the foot pegs when I am taking it easy.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Get your hands on some metric allen wrenches. This uses a 6 or 8 millimeter, if I remember correctly. You may have to cut the allen wrench to make it shorter because the engine case, peg mounting bracket and exhaust gets in the way after one turn of the wrench. Get some pliers and remove the spring. Take the bolt completely out. Pull or tap on the brake pedal to take it off the knurled shaft (you may want to mark the shaft and the brake pedal before you remove it so you can tell how far you moved it). I moved mine two splines and that was plenty. Tap the brake pedal back on the shaft, reinstall the bolt and tighten it. Make sure to reinstall the spring and check the brake light switch to make sure the brake light still lights up when you apply the rear brake. I am comfortable with the shift arm so I didn't mess with it, but it's been said that the procedure is about the same for it. :bigthumbsup:

If I've forgotten anything, please speak up :redfaced:

Edit to include: I rotated mine Forward, toward the front of the bike, so my foot wasn't resting on it while riding.

:eek:ldpost:

However I've been searching for the best way to adjust the rear brake lever. So I found this thread and it was very helpful. I cut down a hex allen wrench to fit in between the peg & pipes and took off the brake lever nut. Removed the spring & slid the lever off. Then I adjusted the brake back up 2 notches. I also wrapped the lever in a rag and took a crescent wrench and bent the lever up about 1" as well. Now it's easy to reach & out of my way when my feet our on the pegs! :bigthumbsup:

It's this little details that makes riding long distances much more comfortable.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Please do not try anything; if you cannot comprehend this simple mechanical manoeuvre and lower your brake lever for notch or two and figure it out what tools to use, then please for god sake do not do it on your own.
It is a breaking system and if you are not sure then you are playing with your destiny.
There is a saying: Assumption is a mother of all F...ups.
Don't assume...

Devilish

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Please do not try anything; if you cannot comprehend this simple mechanical manoeuvre and lower your brake lever for notch or two and figure it out what tools to use, then please for god sake do not do it on your own.
It is a breaking system and if you are not sure then you are playing with your destiny.
There is a saying: Assumption is a mother of all F...ups.
Don't assume...
I would hope he would have figured it out since 6-11-2006!

I don't think there's really any stupid questions. If you don't know how to do then you don't know how to do it. That's why we have forums.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts