M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,

I found some custom tips that I would like to add. They are similar to the Scorpion tips, but they are flair out straight instead of hooking out like the Scorpions. I reviewed the instillation instructions for the Scorpions and have a couple of questions to ensure that the tips I order will work.

For the Scorpion tips, why does the cut have to be different for the top and bottom? The top the weld is left on and for the bottom it needs to be cut off?:dontknow:

What size tips do I need?....3"?

And finally for the people the flair for the 3" tips go from 3" to 4"inches. Will there be enough clearance so that flair do not hit?

Thanks,
:cop:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,078 Posts
The reason the stock cans get cut at different places is so they fit the tips. Both tips are the same inside diameter, but the exhaust is slightly different. So on one the weld makes up for the difference.

The stock cans are about 3 1/2" in diameter, but you might want to measure them to be sure. I've whacked them up a lot but never measured them exactly, just roughly with a tape measure.

For the fit, look at your stock exhaust and how much clearance it has. Add half of whatever the flare amount is and see if you have that much. For instance, if the stock cans are 3.5" and you get tips that flare from 3.5" to 4", you need 1/4" more clearance. But keep in mine you can also tilt them out a little before you weld them on. That's how Rainey gets a 6" muffler to work on the stock head pipes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You will need tips with 3.5" ID inlet and 4" OD outlet. Make sure your tips are not stainless steel. They won't weld onto your stock exhaust very well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts