M109 Rider Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!

thanx so much ...
A while back I read a post where a guy said he used a turkey baster to force coolant up his overflow tube into the reservoir on the 109 but when I did a search I could not find it. So the idea did not originate with me, I just expounded on it.:D

You can pick up a condiment dispencer (mustard/ketchup) squirter at your local grocery store, Walmart, etc. I got this one from Walmart for $0.97.

Fill it about 2/3's full with coolant so that it can be placed partially on its side without spilling. Place the bike in an upright position with a wheel chock, jack or just have someone sit on it holding it upright.

Place the tip of the dispenser into the overflow tube making sure there are no contaminants in the tip of the hose prior to insertion.

Push the tip in as far as you can. While holding the dispenser tip in the hose firmly, invert the dispencer and squeeze, This will force coolant up the overflow hose and into the reservoir. When you remove the tip the coolant that was in the hose will drain out so you might want to place a pan, towel, or something to catch the excess liquid so your shop floor dosn't end up looking like mine.

I didn't like the look of the overflow tube just hanging down so I keep a loose zip tie attached under the bike and just tuck the hose into the loop.

Hope this helps someone and gives a little more riding time instead working putting cowlings back on.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Finally found it

Finally found the hose, it was tuck in a slot on the inside of the lower fairing. The slot is made to hold the overflow hose. Thanks guys. I learn so much from you guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
:bigthumbsup:Thanks for sharing,

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I just did this. It took more time driving to the store to get the bottle then adding of the coolant itself. Great find on doing it this way.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
The wife wants to know why the mustard tastes like antifreeze. What should I tell her?

Does the cap have to be loose on the overflow or will enough air escape to let the liquid in?
Nope, otherwise everything would have to be taken apart.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Nope, otherwise everything would have to be taken apart.
I just did mine the other night by reaching behind the cowl and getting the cap off and stuck in front of the overflow tank. I spent quite a little time trying to get the tank level up with a piece of fuel tubing and a large syringe. Then it took almost as long to just get my fat fingers in there and get the cap back on. I wish I had seen this before, at least I know the syringe will work to push it up the tube now.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I've topped mine off twice in the seven years I have owned the bike. I just reach behind the fairing and take the cap off, use a funnel with a long flexible hose on the end. Never been a problem for me to do it this way. But I do have long thin fingers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nice!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I've topped mine off twice in the seven years I have owned the bike. I just reach behind the col and take the cap off, use a funnel with a long flexible hose on the end. Never been a problem for me to do it this way. But I do have long thin fingers.
In 7 years and you haven't changed the coolant? I have changed mine twice since 2008. Both times a VERY large amount of calcium or something came out of it. I have changed others too and this seems normal. I would recommend a change!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drive a 2006 m109r. The manual says to use distilled water in the cooling system, and I disagree with the engineers that designed the bike. Why would I use water if antifreeze is an option, and what are my options as far as antifreeze? I do get that antifreeze is very slippery if spilled, and I know that ethylene glycol and no dex-cool is what to use in a bike. The question is, what brands do you use with what results? Is it really an upgrade or am I wasting money on a pointless "upgrade"?

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,524 Posts
Even in the manual it says coolant should be used. Here:

Only if you use concentrated coolant, you mix it with distilled water....

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I drive a 2006 m109r. The manual says to use distilled water in the cooling system, and I disagree with the engineers that designed the bike. Why would I use water if antifreeze is an option, and what are my options as far as antifreeze? I do get that antifreeze is very slippery if spilled, and I know that ethylene glycol and no dex-cool is what to use in a bike. The question is, what brands do you use with what results? Is it really an upgrade or am I wasting money on a pointless "upgrade"?
Just make sure the coolant is silicate free. I use either Peak or Prestone emix

41 - 55 of 55 Posts