M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I read a post where a guy said he used a turkey baster to force coolant up his overflow tube into the reservoir on the 109 but when I did a search I could not find it. So the idea did not originate with me, I just expounded on it.:D

You can pick up a condiment dispencer (mustard/ketchup) squirter at your local grocery store, Walmart, etc. I got this one from Walmart for $0.97.

Fill it about 2/3's full with coolant so that it can be placed partially on its side without spilling. Place the bike in an upright position with a wheel chock, jack or just have someone sit on it holding it upright.

Place the tip of the dispenser into the overflow tube making sure there are no contaminants in the tip of the hose prior to insertion.

Push the tip in as far as you can. While holding the dispenser tip in the hose firmly, invert the dispencer and squeeze, This will force coolant up the overflow hose and into the reservoir. When you remove the tip the coolant that was in the hose will drain out so you might want to place a pan, towel, or something to catch the excess liquid so your shop floor dosn't end up looking like mine.

I didn't like the look of the overflow tube just hanging down so I keep a loose zip tie attached under the bike and just tuck the hose into the loop.

Hope this helps someone and gives a little more riding time instead working putting cowlings back on.

·
Registered
567 Posts
:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:Nice job my man. Wish I'd have asked before I tore all that crap off. Since I have the Suzuki Engine Case Bars and there is no reaching in with your fingers with those like some suggested.

·
Registered
95 Posts
coolant

That's what I like about this forum. Somebody is always thinking and willing to share.

GW

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dont do what I did!!!!!

I Appreciate the great idea ,I thought I was being smart when I changed out my plugs and I would add a little coolant to the bike in the radiator cap on the right side of the bike I mean it was already apart well needless to say I had to smell fluid burning off for a few hundred miles .. :doh::cus:I now have a quicker way to make the bike run cool thanks for the info .. Ken out

·
Registered
284 Posts
lift

Not trying to but in but I would like to know what kind of lift you have ? it looks kinda like the one thats of harbor freights site. Thanks for letting me butt in

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Not trying to but in but I would like to know what kind of lift you have ? it looks kinda like the one thats of harbor freights site. Thanks for letting me butt in
Nah I got this one at Atwoods farm and ranch supply, what they where doing with a mc lift :dontknow:. rcj houston has the one from Harbor Frieght and likes it. You might PM him, I talked to him about it before I bought this one, I think his has the trap door to drop the rear wheel through this one does not, but then I got a really good deal on this one. I think they just wanted to get rid of it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
A while back I read a post where a guy said he used a turkey baster to force coolant up his overflow tube into the reservoir on the 109 but when I did a search I could not find it. So the idea did not originate with me, I just expounded on it.:D

You can pick up a condiment dispencer (mustard/ketchup) squirter at your local grocery store, Walmart, etc. I got this one from Walmart for $0.97.

Fill it about 2/3's full with coolant so that it can be placed partially on its side without spilling. Place the bike in an upright position with a wheel chock, jack or just have someone sit on it holding it upright.

Place the tip of the dispenser into the overflow tube making sure there are no contaminants in the tip of the hose prior to insertion.

Push the tip in as far as you can. While holding the dispenser tip in the hose firmly, invert the dispencer and squeeze, This will force coolant up the overflow hose and into the reservoir. When you remove the tip the coolant that was in the hose will drain out so you might want to place a pan, towel, or something to catch the excess liquid so your shop floor dosn't end up looking like mine.

I didn't like the look of the overflow tube just hanging down so I keep a loose zip tie attached under the bike and just tuck the hose into the loop.

Hope this helps someone and gives a little more riding time instead working putting cowlings back on.
so the overflow tube is under the front of the bike? are there any more tubes in that area to confuse it with?

·
Registered
198 Posts
A while back I read a post where a guy said he used a turkey baster to force coolant up his overflow tube into the reservoir on the 109 but when I did a search I could not find it. .
I remember the post your refering to. Thanks for the photos. Just what a lazy dude like me needs to find an easier way to do something that need doing.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Thanks every now and then, I leak coolant from the left side down on my chrome. Don't know why, other than it's proably a 10cent hose clamp. So thank you for that:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks every now and then, I leak coolant from the left side down on my chrome. Don't know why, other than it's proably a 10cent hose clamp. So thank you for that:bigthumbsup:
Torq mine did that too. Last winter when I was doing some other things I had the air cleaner housings off of each side. You can see the coolant hose conecting the front and rear heads, the angle at which the clamps where positioned I just knew I was going to have to remove the air box and everything above the hose. As it turns out the clamps were so lose I was able to reach in there with a long screw driver and move the clamps on the hose:eek: so that I could get a small 12 pt box end wrench on the clamps and tighten them. No more coolant drip!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
An easy search found just what I was looking for. Perfect! Thanks for posting:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

What kind of coolant is everyone using? Is the 50/50 pre-mix for auto's OK?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
....What kind of coolant is everyone using? Is the 50/50 pre-mix for auto's OK?
It said in the owners manual what type of base it needed to have, I don't remember and I don't have my manual handy. It was a 50/50 mix that I picked up at Walmart and it was automotive. There are different types though so check your manual or maybe someone else will chime in.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts