Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if you guys ever tried this or even heard of this:

Some years ago surfing the net I found this article

---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage
Readily-available chemical added to gas tank in small proportion improves the fuel's ability to vaporize completely by reducing the surface tension that inhibits vaporization of some fuel droplets.

by Louis LaPointe
Adapted by Sterling D. Allan and Mary-Sue Haliburton
with LaPointe's permission for Pure Energy Systems News

See also, Acetone Data • FAQ
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
and I found it pretty interesting. So I started adding acetone to my car (its a Toyota RAV4 with fuel injection) and found an increase in mileage about 20%, better idle, more power and all in all a smoother and more stable engine performance.
The response to gas was more immediate as well.

I have added acetone for 2 years to my car now, without any negative side effects. In contrary, it runs smooth as silk with acetone.
Sometimes I leave the acetone away, to measure the difference and everytime performance of the engine drops as well in mileage as in power.

The principle how acetone works is pretty easy. Acetone is a solvent, so it reduces surface tension of the fuel. Less surface tension = finer droplets in the fuel injection = better and more complete burning of the injected fuel!

Now since our M109R (or M1800R in my case) does have fuel injection and a LARGE burning chamber with giant pistons, I wonder if acetone would improve its performance. Maybe we could gain some miles or even better some horsepowers...

The amount of acetone to add to the fuel is very tiny. I found to have best results around 2.3 ml acetone on 1000 ml fuel or make it 2,3 per mille.

I will start some experiments with that and tell you my results.

G

·
When the state of Florida had emissions inspections and I had a lot of trucks that had to be checked we use to put about a gallon of acetone in the fuel and then run the vehicle real hard and then take it right to the inspection station. We passed emissions everytime.

·
Registered
71 Posts
thats very smart....i cant wait to see the results, if they are positive i might have to buy some stock in acetone

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ppridgen1 said:
someone with a service/parts manual should check the fuel system to be sure we have no o-rings or plastic parts suseptable to deterioration from the accetone
Acetone and Your Engine
Acetone is known to deteriorate cheap plastics and other substances. While the components in a car's fuel system should be of high quality, and thus immune to any deleterious effects from exposure to acetone, be aware that "ideal" is not always the case in practice. Be advised that not all systems have been tested against acetone. Until such thorough testing has been accomplished and certified by a accredited authority, you assume your own liability for experimentally testing acetone in your particular system.
Yup, thanks for the warning ppridgen1, you all do this at your own risk (especially watch out to drop NOTHING on the paint!).

But regarding the dilution of the acetone in the fuel (0.23%) it is VERY improbable that there will be any harm to your fuel system.
Anyways, nothing is for sure...no risk, no gain.

Here is another link reporting about people who added acetone into their fuel:
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

Suzuki

Suzuki GS750 1977 - multiple improvements on older bike. Power increase, Throttle responce increase, almost eleminated unburnt fuel smell from idle exaust.
Suzuki Ignis; purchased in 07.2004. The standard mileage is 8.5litre/100km (only in city) before I use aceton in fuel. After, it was only 6.4l/100km! It was wonderful! -- Tamas Hodjan (Budapest, Hungary) (May 12, 2006) <hodjantamas {at} gmail.com>

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would love to see more information on this. Diluted as it is, I really doubt that it will hurt any internal parts any worse than the fuel alone will. Basically, it sounds like it's only about a teaspoon full per full tank of gas. My other question is how well does the acetone mix in with the fuel? I may just have to try this in the old car to see if it will pass emissions.

·
Registered
898 Posts
same reason you have to be careful with Berryman's B-12... Thats some good sheet but you can't let it sit on plastic it will eat it up from the acetone in it...

khrome

·
Registered
161 Posts
Didn't Mythbusters do a show on this? I kind of remember it, but I can't remember if they tested the acetone myth.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
J R said:
BINGO :D DONT DO IT WITH THE INJECTORS AND FUELPUMP/REG,ECTÂ THAT ARE ON THIS BIKE...JMO ;)
I'm going to heed JR's advice. I think he knows what he is talking about guys. Why not wait and see what alternatives you may have. :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We spoke to a fuel-systems engineer who works for one of the major oil companies
Well, what do you expect he would say?
Do you REALLY think that such a guy from a major oil company would want you to save 20% fuel, so their sellings would drop 20%?
Yeah, sure...

Maybe that rocket scientist can explain to me, why my RAV4 is running 450 km without acetone and 520 km with acetone and this on a repeateable basis because every 3rd tank fill I leave the acetone away. I always drive the same ways to my practice and back home, half "autobahn" and half in town. After 2 years of useage there should have been some damage if there is any. The recent inspection showed nothing and exhaust values had been "the best I ever saw on a RAV4" according to my mechanic.

I am very well aware that this will not be the same for every vehicle. It depends on the efficiency your engine already works. But there is no doubt about it that you can pass every exhaust test with acetone, because there are much less toxic byproducts, simply because the fuel burns more completely. So what happens to that "surplus energy", huh?

In winter the engine will start much more willingly. I experience better acceleration, smoother running of the engine and less vibrations.

If you have a rubber tube from your tank to your gas cap that will be dissolved by acetone, you should not add acetone and curse about the low quality parts they built into your car, because gasoline is a mixture of aggressive substances that can dissolve rubber by itself! So what?
Don't fill gasoline into your car because it could damage the rubber tubes??? ::)

Now what is bogus?

·
Registered
532 Posts
J R said:
http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=98268&ran=66469 sorry on this link I opened the link and saw the two gay guys in the pic and just couldnt bring myself to read there babble LOL
:a20:

I read the article though and at the bottom they say that their final reason not to use acetone is that it dissolves paint. Well, brake fluid also dissolves paint. Maybe I should stop using brake fluid in my cars.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Something interesting know that you shouldn't believe everything that you see on TV But....

The TV Show Myth Busters just did an experiment on The acetone additive theory along with a few others in both a carbureted and fuel injected car and it was definitely BUSTED, In fact it actually reduced the performance while it was on the Dyno.

However for those with diesels they were able to run used vegetable oil that was filtered with no other additives or changing anything on the vehicle and they got 30 mpg from 1 liter of oil vs 33 mpg from 1 liter of diesel fuel. 10 percent difference with no other performance problems for free!!!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
+1 on what ppridgen1 said. we use a lot of acetone to clean with here at work and you have to change your rubber gloves at least every 12 minutes or it disolves them! it is considered a solvent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts