M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm looking to buy an M109. I have read that 206-2009 models are a little more susceptible to clutch/transmission issues than the 2010-2014 years. I know there are many threads on, "Is this a major issue on the majority of bikes or just an issue noted on very few owners, but enough to be noteworthy". In this case, that isn't my question... I'm wondering if I should specifically target 2010+ models, knowing I will probably have to spend an extra $1,000 or more for a newer year... or if I should save the money and go ahead and pull the trigger on an '06-09 model.

Sorry, I'm at work - I'll post some pics of my other bikes and some more background on my boring life after work. :)

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
8,993 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Although the clutch was upgraded in later years, I don't think there has been much, if any, change to the trans. If you can swing it, however, go for the newer models for the upgraded clutch (in my opinion.)

Reactions: Zoom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I sold my Moto Guzzi this weekend, so I now have the funds to by a bike. As is always the case, the ones I really want seem to be juuuuust out of reach. But I'll find one.

Thanks again - I'm now limiting my search to 2010+.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I have an 06 and have never had any major issues with it. It will soon have 39,000 miles, and I've owned it since new in July 2006. It's a hit-or-miss thing. I've had the shudder, very infrequently. Not at all last year, and so far this year. It's gotten better with age. Like a fine wine.
Tire Sky Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, if all goes well, I'll be picking up a 2012 with 5,200 miles tomorrow. It was knocked over in a trailer when something fell into it (yes, I believe that is what happened based on the location of scratches on the left, and a dent on the right) so I think I'm getting a decent deal. I do my own body work and was looking to do some custom paint on her anyways.

To be continued...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts