M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A VERY RUFF "HOW TO" ON CUTTING STANDARD CANS..

Hi guys..

Many many here have ask me about eh how to on my pipes, and i so wish i took pictures as i went along but i wasnt on this site then so........sorry about my late answer!
All i can do is show the left overs to give you an idea of the way i did it ok hope this helps.

Firstly i had the left overs from steves bike as he fitted some scorpion tips which was great 4 me as i could butcher his pipes to get my answers!

Once i had the left overs from that bike "above" i started to mark out where i wanted them to be..I cut off 11 inches from the forward end of the bottom pipe 1st which means you have to cut the pipes on yr nine compleatly in half (after removing them of course)as the bottom pipe (can) is all one peice with the hole system.

p,s the bottom can has eh chrome cover..

that cover is just tack welded on ,,so its easy to just grind the tacks and take it off
then i marked out the 11 inches and cut both the can and the chrome ...cover

then i put the front half of the exhaust back on the engine and lined the bottom can to the front pipes to see where to weld etc..just tack weld for now!!! Il come back to the brackets that holed them on later as they have to be moved to line up with the frame mounts!!

The top pipe to be honest is eh nightmare!!!!!!!!
its a slip on pipe and it just slips off like eh race can..thats where the easy looking part of this ends........

same as b4 i cut that to...but BEWHERE!! as you now should have the bottom can welded to the front pipes and in place...put the top can where it has to go and line up the mount so it fits to the bottom pipe (understand?) i.e both cans must line up on the mounting bolt in the middle of the bottom can...to make them fit together once you have cut the top can.The top can wasnt....wasnt...11" and i cant remember how long it was but it was about 10 and eh bit!! all will make sence when you actauly do this mode for real i promise!!!

The top can has an inner liner (which i didnt no) which i asume helps to stop the outer chrome from burning..as the bottom can is just eh chrome cover thus no burning etc..

top pipe

I can only say at this point that due to the botom can being fitted to the front pipes and in place on the bike it was just a matter of lining both cans up ON THE BIKE and looking at angles and length to make sure it all lines up etc..then tack the lot in place...then remove it ALL and seem weld the cans back to the front (bells) i,e the parts of the front pipes that i cut the pipes from..ANOTHER BEWHERE THO!!!!!!!!!! the top cans outer diameter was NOT THE SAME AS THE FLANGES (BELLS) I 1ST CUT THEM FROM the top can has that inner liner remember...well thats what gets welded back to the front pipes ,you will have to bridge the gap up to make the outer chrome tube weld on to the bell (flange) hope ya understand my woffling!!!

god knows if my woffling there makes sence , but its all i can put here as eh ruff how to on this mod due to me doing it with no pics!!

I neally forgot.....once you have the pipes tacked in place ON THE BIKE look at where you want the bottom mounting bracket ..which had to be removed as it was welded originaly on the part of ther bottom can you thro away...line that up and just cut it and refit it where it needs to be...as the pipes at this point will be tacked to your bike, the bracket is easy to locat in its new home!!

WELL i hope that sort of answers any things you needed to no and , i CAN AND WILL take as many pictures you may need of the of cuts to answer anything else!! shame i couldnt take pics of the job actaully being done but......... maybe when i do the next one..il do this proper ok guys

Paul

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I really appreciate this Paul. I had this booked in to do last week but never happened. It is a must this week and I will be definately doing it with this report in my hands

All the best

Rick

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bam Bam..hopefully that should help..even if it gives you an idea as to...HOW TO.. which is all i can do for you, but dont hesitate to get hold of me somehow as to anything you may get trouble with BEFORE you cut etc ok...we are all here to help and I can answer most things having already done it!! GOOD LUCK MATE!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Small bit of advise.
the weld to the top can to the original pipe isnt easy....in respect of the cover plate ....the one between the top can and the front pipes only just covers the new weld..so make sure that weld (top can weld) is small and neat,,otherwise IT WILL SHOW ON RE,ASEMBLY.. and we dont want that do we!!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
He he... hell NO. I don't want any inappropriate welds

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Nice fabrication CP :bigthumbsup:.....I would like these pipes gutted and shortened to approximately the rear axle nut....but we both know that is a lot of work for end result. I guess I'll keep mulling over what I want to do for awhile longer:doorag:

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
cheeki,nice write up i did most of the same things but were we differ is mine(pipes) are completly gutted.one the top pipe if you cut the top end where you drilled holes the inner tube will slide out.it is then bigger then the flange you are connecting it to so what i did was make a small sleeve 2" to fill the gap then welded it to the exhaust flange.on the bottom i did the same thing but once again i made a sleeve to fit inside the bottom from the muffler that is behind it. I think it was 4" or so then slid it in side untill it was where i wanted it.tack welded it like the stocks were then welded it to the exhaust flange this one fit much tighter.if you look close my pipe are a little off but not bad for a rookie may try another one and skip the mistakes.hope this helps if you want to try one my way.get lots of complaments espically cause the large opening makes it look loud but it is not loud.I'm also glad to help anyone who want's to try this. sorry i tried to make photo smaller not to successful.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice fabrication CP :bigthumbsup:.....I would like these pipes gutted and shortened to approximately the rear axle nut....but we both know that is a lot of work for end result. I guess I'll keep mulling over what I want to do for awhile longer:doorag:
If we lived closer id do them for you fella...... ride safe :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,033 Posts
Great job on the writeup cheeki! Pics and explanation are very well done! :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paul <----blushing now!! Cheers guys for the THANKS

Anyway all messin about done...IF ANYONE GETS STUCK OR NEEDS THAT LITTLE BIT MORE INFO ON THIS MOD...Im usauly here to do my best to help...Just ask ..and il try to answer anything i missed ok :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some have mentioned that they maybe eh bit loud once the baffle tubes are removed..You dont need to de.baffle if you choose not to..the baffles will fall out when you cut the pipes at 11" and if you want to keep them in then just slip the baffle tubes back into there locations inside the cans and weld them up!! The baffle tubes are made up of 2 peices that slip together inside the cans so the half of the can you use ,,WILL have baffles in place if you dont want them to be to loud!

You can see the baffle tubes that can be left in place if you look at 2nd picture!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
i removed everything, they are not loud unless you want them to be(over 4000 rpms) other then that mine sound just like scorpion tips i know cause my buddy has them and side by side they sound the same.plus i think they look better gutted just my .02 . I get tons of complaments on them more people like mine then the scorpion tips.may try to make a pair a little longer over the winter so may have a pair for sale depending on which one i like more

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a spare set of pipes and looking at them off the bike I was wondering if you cut the 11 inches off of the end under the heat shields, when you weld them up again, won't the stock heat shields cover up the new welds? You don't have to cut the heat shields do you? Also, the stock exhaust mounting bracket at the rear axle, do you have to cut that down or can you just relocate the bracket that is attached to the exhaust to match the stock bracket that is on the bike? Thanks guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts