M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my boss wanted me to run around town and pick up a few things for the office. A great chance to get out of the office and screw off on company time. Love my bike but some things you need four wheels for. So... I jump on my bike and hurry back home to switch out my bike for the truck. Maybe a little to eager to get back home I squealed the rear tire a little at a stop light that turned to GO!! The chirp was minimal and I mean barely audible. Moving up from my 883 sporty I have given the M109R beast a little more throttle than it required more than once with vastly greater result and reduce tire life. Not paying much attention to the small learning curve error that I have not yet fully overcome I continue on down the road for a little bit and notice a motorcycle policeman coming up from the rear. Slowing down and pulling over to the right lane I expect him to pass me by but he only rides along side me. It took me longer than it should to realize...he is pulling “me” over. Pulling into an auto zone parking lot, I felt it appropriate setting since I might not be riding my bike for the remainder of the journey. I park the bike, start to take off my gear, and produce all the standard paperwork in a practiced fashion. He smiles at my license and says with a heavy New York accent (which was odd since I live in Kentucky) "Good motorcycle endorsement", I produce my insurance card he says "Excellent! Insured motorcyclist and the last thing?" as I hand over my registration. It seemed to me he was a little more excited at my having all the required documentation that I was at having it, later I learned why. Of course the standard conversation ensued. Do you know why I pulled you over? he asked. “I believe I squealed my rear tire at the light”, came the sheepish reply. “Yes”, he responded, “you lifted your front tire off the ground a bit too”. He told me I did a great job at keeping it straight and handled it well ….and continued talking but all I could think of in my head was “no way in hell I lifted the front end off the ground”. While my inner disbelief kept saying over and over “now way I popped a wheelie” was masked by a nod and apology to the officer. After the usual safety briefing I learned that soldiers were returning to Fort Campbell and buying crotch rockets but skipping the license, insurance, and registration. The Motorcycle Policeman told me he was going to write a warning ticket. After I signed the ticket he ripped it from his clip board and began to hand it to me. As I was taking the ticket from him he ask “Are you in a hurry to go anywhere?” “Not anymore”, I replied. “Great!” he said “I have a friend that would love to see your bike”. So while we waited I began to do a dealer sales pitch on the bike and start over when the second Motorcycle Policeman arrived. The show and tell went on for about five minutes then they tell me to have a nice day and pull off. As they leave and I prepare to do the same my cell phone rings. It is my boss asking me where I am. I tell him I just got pulled over because the police wanted to look at my bike. “Yea, everyone one loves your purple bike now get back to work so you can pay for it” he replies. You know the boss is right, everyone does like to look at my purple bike.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Cool story. Still don't know why he even felt the need to write a warning ticket in the first place. All he had to do was say, "Be careful, and drive safe."

·
Registered
629 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Cool story. Still don't know why he even felt the need to write a warning ticket in the first place. All he had to do was say, "Be careful, and drive safe."
My thoughts exactly. Then he takes up more of your time and even though you were so cooperative and friendly still gives you the ticket. :dontknow: I, personally, don't get it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kinda like when I'm trying to get down a cup of coffee, and everyone walking by wants to take my time and ask about the ST1300. I actually get a kick out of the "civilian" population just being interested in a Honda with a shotgun mounted on the back. I think its cool that he just wrote you a warning, and not a ticket. Remember, he has to account for his time also. Anyway, after a long day, its home to the woman....and the 109 !!!!!!!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
:pop: EXCELLENT story... go get pulled over again... :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Devilish

G

·
Well, anytime you get pulled over and it doesn't cost anything, that is not too bad.

On a similar note, I have never owned a bike in my life that has drawn so much attention. This is my 4th bike and I heavily accessorise my bikes, many times with one off stuff, but no bike I have ever had draws the attention that the 109 draws, and this bike has the least amount of accessories (so far anyway) of any of my other bikes.

people just love this bike. This past weekend 4 of us pulled up on 109's to a gathering of bikers and after we parked the bikes, no lie for 25 minutes all we did was answer questions and take compliments from people. When we all left it took another 20 minutes for us all to answer everyone's questions just so we could get out of there. :p

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I have only gotten a handfull of warnings over a lifetime (34 yrs) of riding but always wondered why the written instead of verbal warning. It could be better for them to show at the end of the day they were actually out doing something I guess.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
heh, cool story

G

·
That's bullshit... its like police pulling over a ferrari or a lambo to see it up close and personal...

M109R the ferrari of motorcycles... :joke:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
steve j said:
I have only gotten a handfull of warnings over a lifetime (34 yrs) of riding but always wondered why the written instead of verbal warning. It could be better for them to show at the end of the day they were actually out doing something I guess.
I think the warning maybe goes into their system so if you are pulled over again for the same thing, they can see you had already been warned. Also, the cops in this area radio in to dispatch anytime they make a stop so it may be policy that anytime a stop is documented through dispatch, they have to have something in their book to document that stop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts