M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called some local Suzuki dealers in order to get price for the 160-260 Metz combo. 1 dealer told me that no one install 260 but they install 280 on a lot of stock mag? They have some on hands. I told him why because in the USA, no one seem to trust the 280 on a stock rim? After that, the guy told me that a 160 is too wide for te mag?? I told himthere's a lot of guy running 160 without any issue in the USA

I did a seach to get infos but on the 280, i didn't find anything...
So my question may be bizarre but, is a 280 safe on stock mag and is there some issues with the 160 ? Does the part's guy doesn't knows the safety rules for our M109 tires?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
there are hundreds of post on this subject, use the search, and read on :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Oh boy, here we go.....:pop:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the seach button a read the first 10 pages...nothing interesting regarding the 280 ....

·
Registered
960 Posts
Here, I'll give you a synopsis.

1. 280 generally not safe or recommended
2. 280 not as wide as a 250 or 260 due to the width of the bead/rim.
3. 160 OK in front run in reverse.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here, I'll give you a synopsis.

1. 280 generally not safe or recommended
2. 280 not as wide as a 250 or 260 due to the width of the bead/rim.
3. 160 OK in front run in reverse.
Thanks a lot NMclay!! Brief and good info!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
yeup ! what he said ,,, I will add that the 250 dunnie is Wider on a stock Rim than a 260 Metz , I just like the Metzler "Stickyness" Better ,Is that a Word :dontknow:

The 280 has been Reported to Roll the Sidewalls too Much ,on a stock Wheel

Most people that have Tryed the 160 up Front (Mounted back wards ) loved It :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
detailed info on the 280 on stock rim

I did a seach to get infos but on the 280, i didn't find anything...
So my question may be bizarre but, is a 280 safe on stock mag and is there some issues with the 160 ? Does the part's guy doesn't knows the safety rules for our M109 tires?
There is some info on this topic in the FAQ as well as a comprehensive write up with pix in the URL listed below. Good luck:

Q: Does a 280mm tire, fit on a stock rim?
A: Yes, but as per the tire manufactor, it is NOT recommended. There are a few guys that run it without a problem, but lets face it, you wouldn't put 33" BF Goodrich Mudders, on your Civic... would you? Sure you can make them fit, but it's not recommended!
The largest tire that can be SAFELY mounted on a stock rim is a Metzler 260, a Dunlop 250, or Avon 250. Before you ignore me, and listen to someone who does not have a clue, please take the time to read this! If you're considering a 280 on stock rim... read this (UPDATED 7/03 More Pics) http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76640

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I think I am going to move my 280 to the front and put a 380 on the rear:dontknow:

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think I am going to move my 280 to the front and put a 380 on the rear:dontknow:
I want to see that!!!! Really, let's see the disaster!!! That's one of those statements they would call a Hot Mess ...

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
400 on the rear, Think I will keep the 160 up front though ;)

:bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
big butt.....

heres a big rear end

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i know as many guys use and say that 160/60/18 is ok but just curious to know why on Dunlop and Avon site , they say that dimension is for a 4.25 rim and our stock front is 3.5 bizz??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts