M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding, regardless of gear, if I am coasting there is the normal free play in the clutch cable. When I hit the throttle, it takes the slack out of the clutch cable. There are no issues, but just wondered if anyone else has noticed this and if so, why does it do this.:dontknow:

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
:agree:
under acceleration make sure you have about 1/16" play at the lever. This will help ensure you get a longer life from your clutch cable.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Yup, its due to how the cable is routed. Mine is still routed stock, I have dialed in extra free-play to deal with it. No big deal.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent! Thanks guys!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Yup. ZOOM mentioned that lastnight, I thought I was seeing things LOL

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Doesn't really make a difference where the cable is routed. Just saying.
My understanding is that the stock routing under the mount causes the motor to pull on the cable due to torque. When the cable is routed over the mount, it no longer pulls on the cable.

I just have never gotten around to trying it cause I've had no issues with the stock routing. Seems a lot of others have.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
It mostly has to do with the clutch linkage design on clutch side...as the engine torques it pulls on the cable and makes no difference on the routing...makes it oh so much more important to have plenty of free-play. There was a real good post explaining it,in a diagram the cause, a few years back, but I wouldn't even attempt to frustrate myself finding it. I think it is unique to the 109. The routing will affect the rubbing motion of the outer housing when it torques though.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Just do the two quarters between the perch and the lever and adjust till they fall out this is a great way to make sure you have enough free play so you don't snap your cable. The motor is on rubber mounts so under torque it pulls the cable tight this is normal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts