M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you scrap your pipes in right hand turns? Presently I have a set of brand new 1.5" bones ready to install this winter, but was thinking about going lower. I never ride 2up and would probably have trouble locating the rear seat. :)

From what I have read the 2" actually lower the bike closer to 2.5", and the 2.5" lower it closer to 2". Go figure.:dontknow:

Thanks ... just looking at options here.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I have the swepts but have not lowered and I haven't scraped yet. From what I've heard on this forum I'd be afraid to lower with these pipes! One scrape and they're ruined!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have the swepts but have not lowered and I haven't scraped yet. From what I've heard on this forum I'd be afraid to lower with these pipes! One scrape and they're ruined!!!
They're ruined? They get scraped on the bottom, so unless you are up under the bike you can't see it. I have 2" lowering bones and yes they do scrape.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I got the swepts and 2" drop. Had them on for about 1,500 miles. I only scraped for like 2 seconds on a hard right turn that I came into too hot in the first place :) And you really can't see it unless you get under the bike and look up.

If you ride real agressive, you may want to consider less of a drop. Or you could go air ride so you could raise it up a little in the twisties and slam it down for crusing around town.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes they do. I have 2" bones and you will scrape them. However, you can't see it unless you get under the bike to look.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
The Yana Shiki 2" bones lower it closer to 2.5", but the other 2" bones are pretty close to 2". Some look not much lower than the 1.5" bones.

I bet if you look at the mounting bracket on your swepts you could probably modify it a little to raise the pipe up some at the rear. I think that is where most drag them.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Yes, scraping them ruins them. All it takes is one scrape and the chrome on that section of pipe is gone. Then rust sets in, and we all know where it goes from there....just because you may not be able to see it doesn't mean no damage done....I'd say either go with the swepts OR lowering, but don't do both. If lowering is a must, go with a different set of pipes....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes, scraping them ruins them. All it takes is one scrape and the chrome on that section of pipe is gone. Then rust sets in, and we all know where it goes from there....just because you may not be able to see it doesn't mean no damage done....I'd say either go with the swepts OR lowering, but don't do both. If lowering is a must, go with a different set of pipes....
The cover can be replaces if that is what you are so worried about. To each his own but I love mine, scraped or not and I don't consider it ruined.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The cover can be replaces if that is what you are so worried about. To each his own but I love mine, scraped or not and I don't consider it ruined.
Why would I be worried about your pipes? The OP was asking for input and I gave it. If you don't mind having scraped up heat shields, then by all means go ahead and lower with the swepts....

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
:pop:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Swepts

Hey B!!! Did you lower ur nine yet??? Still going with the 1.5? If so how do you like it???

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Hey B!!! Did you lower ur nine yet??? Still going with the 1.5? If so how do you like it???
Not yet, and yes. Cash flow is tight right now, so it has to wait.:'(

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Why would I be worried about your pipes? The OP was asking for input and I gave it. If you don't mind having scraped up heat shields, then by all means go ahead and lower with the swepts....
I think the point Rusty is trying to make is that it doesn't matter if you scrape. When you do, eventually it will rust out on that shield. But his point is that he doesn't care. It doesn't ruin the pipes, only that one shield. A phone call to cobra and some cash gets him back to square one. I agree with him that if I really wanted these pipes, I would do it as well. Guaranteed I could get 3 or 4 years out of them before that one shield got bad and had to be replaced. Heck, most people are already selling their bike at that point.

To the OP, yes you will scrape but if you like them, buy them. If in fact it gets bad, just pull them off and buy another shield from cobra and start over. Can't be more then $100 for the new shield, but call first to make sure before making a decision.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
IMO if ppl are afraid of a lil scratch here and there, then don't ride the bike. It's gonna happen, regardless of the type of mod. I also understand ppl being anal, but to a point. Shyt happens, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
gonna do it?

I have the swepts...planning on the 2in drop this winter....question.does it matter how you take corners hot or not sooner or later its gonna scrape is what im thinking...this is a hard one...:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Damn you Bernie. I thought you weren't lowering and passed up on free 1.5" bones recently :mad:
Damn, who had those. Story of my life Harris, always missing out on a deal!!! Def gonna do it by spring. If I can't manage to save up enough by then, well, it would seem I have bigger issues.:mad:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts