M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My riding buddy Tak called in for a coffee and we put the two silvers side by side to see what all that work had achieved.

Well.... not a lot cosmetically..my bars rotated up slightly (to bring them closer) seemed to make a a difference to the perceived height of the bike but the std bike is a beauty and looking at it I must admit to a 'twinge' of remorse. I don't feel I have degraded my bikes looks cf the stocker though, which is a relief!

By comparison the exhaust note on the stock bike quite honestly sounds 'whimpish' (even with a plug in mine) and the pulse timing is altered and MUCH nicer (probably the extended collector pipe extracting better)..but I have to do something about another muffler to try to bring the noise down..it would drive me nuts on a trip and is loud enough to get tickets for noise. (Still not 'obnoxious' like unplugged Vance and Hines noise levels.)

Must tidy up the rear next!

Didn't have time for a ride comparison as I had contractors coming..will do that another day!

Side by side for your thoughts?

G

·
Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Your bikes beauty lies within. Let me put this in laymens terms:

You got the air and the pipe to smoke that stocker.

Both bikes look great.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes ...but if you were a nubile maiden with which rider would you choose to travel to 'never you mind' land? :joke:

damn!..forgot the seat..that's got to give Tak the advantage!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Ras your going great. The way you've modded the pipe makes the bike have better balance. I love the stock exhaust. The stock set up is one of the best I've seen. But your pipe mod is an improvement. It takes the bike more into the sport range and takes away a little of the heavy look the stock pipe imparts. Good on ya mate!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jazzman said:
Ras your going great. The way you've modded the pipe makes the bike have better balance. I love the stock exhaust. The stock set up is one of the best I've seen. But your pipe mod is an improvement. It takes the bike more into the sport range and takes away a little of the heavy look the stock pipe imparts. Good on ya mate!
Thanks Jazz..I went over the hill to Wellington tonight with a baffle 'plug' in the back of the muffler to make it tolerable..the noise levels were fine, but a BIG drop in performance.
Just about home, I gave it full throttle and it sheared off the screw that secured the baffle plug and spat it out like a missile..it was wierd ..like an turbo coming in...wooo..it just shot off...felt like a car that had just dropped a loaded tandem axle trailer. I will have to experiment with accoustic damping to try and get performance with a less noise. The new exhaust sounds like a Ducatti growl, and has lost that "put" "put" sound the stock one has..I never liked that.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I love the new pipe. My only change would be to a chrome one of the same design.
Yes the stock pipe is beautiful, and graceful, But yours is beautiful and athletic.
Your new woman is just as beautiful, but she is firm where she should be.

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
walker said:
his rear tire looks bigger. is he running a different size or is that just the angle of the pic?
Must be the angle, or the dust from the gravel drive..it is a stock 240 on each bike!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sledzep01 said:
I love the new pipe. My only change would be to a chrome one of the same design.
Yes the stock pipe is beautiful, and graceful, But yours is beautiful and athletic.
Your new woman is just as beautiful, but she is firm where she should be.

Sledzep
:D

Ah yes!... but this beautiful woman is giving me an earfull at the moment..she was much less demanding when she was plain!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Greg! Knowing what you know now, would you perform this mod if you had it to do all over again?? The mod looks awesome and as many have commented the angle of the muffler really compliments the lines of the bike. The heat shields look like they were designed for this mod. If the noise level is bothersome you may be able to insert a home brewed baffle wrapped with fiberglass cloth! Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
rasputin said:
:D

Ah yes!... but this beautiful woman is giving me an earfull at the moment..she was much less demanding when she was plain!
Yes, but she is faster! :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
[

Side by side for your thoughts?

Ras,

Your bike looks AWESOME :bigthumbsup:

That pipe you have makes it look unique and mean :doorag:

I am also a fan of extremely loud bikes so I dig that too. I am NOT a fan of a rear seat on this particular bike so yours looks that much better.

Oh and the only opinion that matters about your bike is yours, so go crazy and do whatever you want to her !!!

Apollo

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bob109 said:
Greg! Knowing what you know now, would you perform this mod if you had it to do all over again?? The mod looks awesome and as many have commented the angle of the muffler really compliments the lines of the bike. The heat shields look like they were designed for this mod. If the noise level is bothersome you may be able to insert a home brewed baffle wrapped with fiberglass cloth! Just a thought!
G'day Bob..no question about that..YES. YES YES. The bike even feels sportier with the weight loss and the way this thing now whips up in the Rev's is astounding..will have to be careful..
I bet Hal's bike "ported" loves climbing through the high rev end of the tacho? I just need to find a muffler that looks the part and has a better dB rating..I think I will be on the right track with a carbon "oval" maybe a bit longer...possibly 2" instead of 2.5"..I'll go and see a local bike muffler maker and see what he thinks..it may just be a question of packing type and density. All part of the evolution! cheers, Greg

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
rasputin said:
G'day Bob..no question about that..YES. YES YES. The bike even feels sportier with the weight loss and the way this thing now whips up in the Rev's is astounding..will have to be careful..
I bet Hal's bike "ported" loves climbing through the high rev end of the tacho? I just need to find a muffler that looks the part and has a better dB rating..I think I will be on the right track with a carbon "oval" maybe a bit longer...possibly 2" instead of 2.5"..I'll go and see a local bike muffler maker and see what he thinks..it may just be a question of packing type and density. All part of the evolution! cheers, Greg
Thanks for the feedback :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

bob109

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
rasputin said:
Yes ...but if you were a nubile maiden with which rider would you choose to travel to 'never you mind' land? :joke:

damn!..forgot the seat..that's got to give Tak the advantage!
To get back to the original question............

A maiden nubile or not would go for the stock...it looks better !

Now most maidens know diddly about performance mods they go
for looks...so the dude with the stock pipes and rear seat is goin
to get himself a sticky wicket :a20:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Ok This is my honest opinion, Both bikes are gorgeous. now with that said this is what i see.

With this bike being a sport cruiser hybrid the exhaust mod transforms it into the more "Sport " Category from looks alone where the stock looks more "Cruiser", But The raised bars look More Cruiser where as the stock bars look more sport. Kinda of a Tit of Tat. As far as the Fair maiden riding off the Dream land it would depend on the Type of Girls She is. Hard Fast and Loud or Low "Perceived" Slow (As in lady in the Streets and a freak in the bed) :joke: and Mellow. Looks good either way and either way works>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts