M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the weather was nice yesterday I decided to take a ride. I got in a few hours during the warmth of the day. Later on last night when I tried to start my bike it wouldn't start. I have lights, horn etc....It won't even turn over. No cycling thru, no clicking with the starter...nothing. The check signal light comes on along with the oil light. Okay I'm not the most technical of guys when it comes to working on my bike so I did the obvious things. I checked to see if anything was leaking but I didn't see any oil anywhere. I checked my oil and there's a trace of oil on the dipstick but it looks like some needs to be added. I guess my question is, if the oil is real low, would that cause the bike to just shut down and do nothing without any warning at all? Or is this something more serious? It was running great before this happened. It's been about 1000k since my last oil change.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I'm no mechanic either - BUT

Maybe it might be the starter button/mechanism on the handle bars? :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Need more info. Was the on/off switch on the right hand control in the off position? Was it in nuetral? Did the fuel pump and speedo do their part when you turned on the key? Answer some of these and list your mods so we can get a better idea of your bike.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
OK, dumb question but I gotta ask. Is the red on/off switch turned on on the right side control housing? If not, you'll get the symptom you are describing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fuel pump and speedometer does nothing. The kill switch is not on. I just checked the dipstick again and it barely has oil on it.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
OK, so as posted above, year, mileage, mods, anything done recently? Post as much info as you can

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The fuel pump and speedometer does nothing. The kill switch is not on.
So, does the above in bold mean that the switch is in the OFF position? If so, that is your problem. It should be in the ON position.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
So, does the above in bold mean that the switch is in the OFF position? If so, that is your problem. It should be in the ON position.
I'm thinking he means it's not in the position that kills the engine. I would hope he knows how to operate his bike.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I guess your bike was in NEUTRAL position. Perhaps needless to ask but just checking.

Only thing that I have experienced similar was a GROUND wire. The short one that goes fro battery to frame. I made me a problem and it is wire itself. How I do not know. Looks fine to me but it wont crank up. New wire
did it at once so, my batter was OK too.

check it out..

Since the weather was nice yesterday I decided to take a ride. I got in a few hours during the warmth of the day. Later on last night when I tried to start my bike it wouldn't start. I have lights, horn etc....It won't even turn over. No cycling thru, no clicking with the starter...nothing. The check signal light comes on along with the oil light. Okay I'm not the most technical of guys when it comes to working on my bike so I did the obvious things. I checked to see if anything was leaking but I didn't see any oil anywhere. I checked my oil and there's a trace of oil on the dipstick but it looks like some needs to be added. I guess my question is, if the oil is real low, would that cause the bike to just shut down and do nothing without any warning at all? Or is this something more serious? It was running great before this happened. It's been about 1000k since my last oil change.

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts