M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently gutted my stock exhaust. I was thinking of getting two flat plates with a 2" hole welded onto the ends of the exhaust where the original backplate was. I may get them chromed after also.

The two reasons I was thinking of doing this is to clean up the looks of where I cut the original pipe out and to impove loudness.

My question is will this make the bike louder?

Thanks and sorry for the crappy diagram,
:cop:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
Adding the flat plates won't make it any louder than it is with them gutted, if by gutted you mean you took everything out of the inside. Any reduction in the size of the opening you currently have will make it a little quieter. If you want to quieten it down more, go to a smaller hole. The hole on the stock pipes is around 1 3/8", so you could go to 1 1/2" and still have more flow than stock.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adding the flat plates won't make it any louder than it is with them gutted, if by gutted you mean you took everything out of the inside. Any reduction in the size of the opening you currently have will make it a little quieter. If you want to quieten it down more, go to a smaller hole. The hole on the stock pipes is around 1 3/8", so you could go to 1 1/2" and still have more flow than stock.
ZOOM to the rescue!!! Thanks buddy, you have been there a couple of time when i had a question.

I am not looking for quiter. I did gut them by taking everything out of them. I am happy with the sound now. Someone mentioned to me that it would make it louder. I have little knowlege on exhaust, but that did not seem right....so I figured I would ask.

I may still do the chrome or polished plates to clean up the look, but go with a larger hole. Maybe 2.5 or something.

Thanks again,
:cop:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
No problem bro. On some old bikes with straight pipes, such as the old Honda Scramblers, they actually used a rotating washer in the end of the pipe to quieten it down. If you were riding off road you turned the washer with the flow, when riding on road or you wanted it quieter you turned it to block part of the flow. It was just a washer on a rod that blocked the end of the exhaust.

Hard to believe they had stock bikes from the factory with straight exhausts. :D

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
you can also think of a mute for a brass instrument (if you were a band geek like me) i had like 3 or 4 different mutes depending on the sound that i wanted/needed for what ever. so anytime that you alter the end of something that sound comes out of no matter what is not in the inside it will change the sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts