M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my long time friends is planning on getting a motorcycle.He likes my M109R,but he doesn't like the width of the bike.He wants to get a smaller bike for his first time.I told him not to get anything smaller than 700 cc's,because he would be bored with it real fast.We went to our local bike shop and he looked at the honda shadow 750.To me the bike is smaller than hell,but I am 6'1" 250 pounds,and he is 5'11" 190 pounds.
If I could get anybodies input I would appreciate it.It has been so long for me being a first time rider that I dont want to steer him wrong?Thanks for your time.

G

·
I am 5'11 and 180 and in 2004 I had a Shadow Aero 750. I absolutely loved the bike. I had huge cruisers and sport bikes before her but it was a great back to basics bike. Highly recommend it. Tell him to get it, ride the snot out of it and get a beast next spring or summer.

Here's some pics of mine, more at my site...www.alanwhite123.com

beachbars :)

G

·
Buy a used HD sportster 883. Ride it for a year, learn how to ride and sell it for what he bought it for. Then he can get what he wants. Don't learn to ride on an 1800.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely didn't suggest an 1800.I ride the 1800.He really doesn't want a Harley especially a sportster.Basically only chicks ride the 883 around me.Nothing against chicks riding I just think my buddy doesn't want to ride what my wife rides.5'6" 105 pounds.And nothing against harley I just think that is way to small for him.Not the engine,but the bike would be way to small for him.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Intruder 800: very, very quick bike. Low weight, very nimble.
Intruder 1400: quick bike, but not as quick as the 800. Can be helped by better air flow through the bike...and a rejet. Very close in style to the 800. Still "feels" like the smaller 800.

Here's the 1400:

and here's the 800:

I have the 800, but a custom tank on mine so it looks "fatter" than the one in the pic above. Downside to these two bikes: 800 comes with a 3.2 gallon tank, the 1400 comes with a 3.4 gallon tank. Hence, my custom 6 gallon tank.

I paid $3100 for my bike 2 years ago...I have put on an average of 7500 miles per year since buying it...while I was in college. Been on plenty of solo rides....and been on plenty of group rides (Did the Run For The Wall and Rolling Thunder this year). It'll beat _most_ cruisers out there in a quarter mile....even the 1400 Intruder. (based on chuckhawks.com 1400 13.64 seconds @ 94.7 mph, and the 800 with 13.31 seconds @ 97.2 mph).

People with the "BIG" bikes (109 excluded) often think the slim 1400/800 have nothing....and see the rear end of them alot. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
A work buddy hasn't ridden in 30 years. He bought a Honda 1100 Shadow. Nice bike, Good power, and easy to handle. He's happy with his choice.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Silver Odessea said:
Jamie,how do you hold that bike up my wife cant even get the bike off its kick stand.
Not me, i'm 6'5-250, that was a previous post about a 105 lb. female rider.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
jamiesM109R said:
Not me, i'm 6'5-250, that was a previous post about a 105 lb. female rider.
Regardless, my wife is 5'1" 105 pounds...and SHE can lift the M109R off the kickstand no problem. Turning it around, on the other hand, would be a problem for her.

I seem to think the girl in the above pic is an inch or two above 5'1"...but could be proven wrong.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My vote is for the Yamaha V-Star 1100. It's the lightest in the 1100 class and also has one of the lowest seat heights so it is easy to get a foot down in case you're in trouble. My little 95lb wife can even ride one.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You're right about the size. A guy I work with bought a Honda VLX 650 as a first bike. That only lasted a couple of months. Now he owns a Shadow 1100. More power and room for the Mrs. An 1100 V-star is a nice choice too. My wife learned on a 1400 Intruder and promptly kicked my butt all over the road. I had a Roadstar at the time.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I am the last person to ask, as this is my first bike... and doing great on it... just turned 1000 miles tonight...

Then again I am 6'5 and 295, need a bigger bike for my tiny self, LOL

·
Registered
126 Posts
My first bike was a Suzuki C50, stable plenty of power to start of with and I didn't have a bit of trouble out of it. It was a good bike for a year or so and then I stepped up to the M109R and I'm loving every min. of it.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I'd recommend an M50. It's a very forgiving bike. Same height as the 109 and much narrower. Very even powerband makes it very easy to ride.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Silver Odessea said:
I geuss my wife is a wussy since she cant get the bike off the kick stand.dont tell her I said that!!!!!!
Tell her to cut the handle bars/front wheel to the right...before trying to pick it up off the stand. Bet ya it makes it 50-70% easier for her to lift off the stand.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts