M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few minutes ago I posted a poll aimed at seeing how people were applying their aftermarket dollars. Then just now I posted a reply to someone else suggesting that an HD may STILL hold more long term value than our "rice burners."

The two combined got me to thinking though... I think one reason I chose the M109R over any other current bike and specifically went for a 2006 rather than a 2007 model is because I think our bike could very well go down in history as a motorcycle classic. Perhaps a bike that starts a revolution and spawns a ton of copycats, but even if not, one that will forever be remembered as something "different." Don't you think?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just bought it because it is a bad SOB! Resale value never even crossed my mind. I will ride this until the next "new thing" comes out.

First year on a new model bike, could be a classic.

G

·
Resale is already showing that the bike is not holding it's value. The bike for sure is blazing new territory and is a definate winner for Suzuki. They have decided to use the motor as a platform for 3 other models, some already released. I think we as owners are just more exploritory than most. Cutting across the grain by going to the metric market and going with something new and something different. A "classic", I would like to think so.

Harley's, for now have a much better re-sale. I still prefer my 109.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I bought mine to abuse/wear out like a pair of sneakers. When its time, you just get a new one.
I would rather get my moneys worth out of it while riding than worry about resale value later on.
Its just a toy

Sledzep

·
Registered
696 Posts
sledzep01 said:
I bought mine to abuse/wear out like a pair of sneakers. When its time, you just get a new one.
I would rather get my moneys worth out of it while riding than worry about resale value later on.
Its just a toy

Sledzep
like Slez... i got mine to ride and do some mods.. i don't care about the next step until i get there... i've had well north of 130 cars.(can't even remember all of them)... same thing... i like em til i don't... then move on.... mjm

·
Registered
327 Posts
i wonder how some one can buy a new bike , and wondering about the resale price at the same time . i never care about the price, if i whant something i buy it (my wife had my sleeping in the dog house a lot because i thank that way ) but i only have one life so i live it well no regrets.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sledzep01 said:
Its just a toy

Sledzep
Yeah, I love your philosophy too. But I know others trade bikes as often as you might trade underwear, so there you go. :joke:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
did you buy it to ride or re-sell?

the harleys won't have as much resale as they'd expect you to believe. #1 the market is flooded with HD's, #2 if the resale value of a used bike was so high, then why not just go buy a new one? #3 they might re sell for the price they paid for the bike but they don't get back the money spent in extras, which is usually a loss of 10 grand or more (which is the cost of our entire bike!) So.... if we don't get any money for our bikes, we'd still be even or ahead on the loss on an HD

·
Registered
414 Posts
If Harleys have such a great resell value, why do I always see them advertised something like this:
2004 Heritage Great condition never dropped, over $30000 in Accessories $14,500 OBO

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Come on now! No one ever said buying ANY bike other than a collector was an INVESTMENT. Just that Harley's (And BMWs, etc) hold more value than their rice burning counterparts.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
still haven't seen any proof of how they "hold their value". It's a myth. Quick, somebody call Mythbusters!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
BlkM109r said:
still haven't seen any proof of how they "hold their value". It's a myth. Quick, somebody call Mythbusters!
I like that show Mythbusters, they always seem to have a good time disproving, blowing up or destroying stuff!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Chuck said:
I like that show Mythbusters, they always seem to have a good time disproving, blowing up or destroying stuff!
I think Adam just likes blowing up and destroying stuff... the disproving / proving thing is just icing for him 8)

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you ever buy a bike, boat, or car and retained value or resale value crosses your mind, you might as well lease the item or not buy it at all. I drive 20,000 plus miles a year for work and realize the whole depreciation situation. In the end, you need to make your decision based on performance, carrying capacity/function or price. The only way to "make" money on vehicles is to buy in bulk.....fleet purchases.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Lamonster said:
I've loss money on every bike I've ever owned, no sence it changing that now. :joke:
+1

·
Registered
844 Posts
This thread started out asking: is it going to be a classic? (Next big thing).

I have posted on this before, but in my view, it's just one (giant) step in a progression. Victory was really there first, with a 240 rear tire, six speed, and contemporary styling.

Then came the M109, with added GO power.

Next is the new V-rod, with 240 rear tire.

Next are the new Suzuki models, like the M109 C

And it just keeps going, and going, and going . . .

I agree with one point -- a lot of theose "high-resale" Harleys are listed for prices that you can get a new one for. The market IS flodded with them, and actual sale prices are probably substantially lower.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've never given a darn about resale value on anything that I bought with intentions of using!

The reason that Harley's maintain their resale value is that you aren't paying more for the bike... You're paying for all the time that the guy spent working on the bike and not getting to ride! :evil: :super:

·
Registered
638 Posts
comon you guys seem to know about buying and selling and collecting. If this bike is going to be a classic and worth anything, than anyone who knows about collecting or anything of kthat nature would realize that only the low mile classics are worth anything. Now think about that and tell me how in gods creation you are going to keep low miles on this bike? itssssssssss so :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: fun to ride. get on it and ride it till the tires come off. I had mine for a week and just brought it in yest to do the 600 mile tune. and it wasnt from one long trip. i rode it every day for about 80-100 miles. get out there and rideeeeeeeeeeeeeee

1 - 20 of 27 Posts