M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup folks...my famous leaky rear driveshaft hub is once again leaking....riding around bike week I noticed the nice spattered diff fluid on the left hand side of the rim....feel under and the drain bolt is wet again...

soooooo In at the dealer for the 4th attempt at repairing the same exact problem

going to call Suzuki HQ and start seeing if they can just replace the entire back in...from the driveshaft back to the rim....the mechanic mentioned when they did the first seal removal and replacement that it looked as if a retard put it together....I'm thinking if the seals were out of whack...it couldnt be a stretch to say perhaps the hub was assembled ****ed up....and thus my ever leaking rear ;)

really don't want a "new" bike as I've put all this work in to it...but if it goes that route I'll have to get them to transfer all the aftermarket stuff to the new bike....who knows....will keep ya'll updated....:edit:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
That Sucks big time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks to me like a manufacturing defect. Things don't seem right in bikeville.:confused:
exactly...service manager said here's zuk's number...sometimes the sqeeky wheel gets the grease LOL..give em a call, give em hell...and we will do what we can do on our end...(in the intrest of getting things fixed quicker)

I have a ride I've done every year since 2003 coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm going to be one pissed off cookie if my bike ain't ready...

·
Registered
367 Posts
damn man my bike does the same thing every once in a while

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
exactly...service manager said here's zuk's number...sometimes the sqeeky wheel gets the grease LOL..give em a call, give em hell...and we will do what we can do on our end...(in the intrest of getting things fixed quicker)

I have a ride I've done every year since 2003 coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm going to be one pissed off cookie if my bike ain't ready...
damn man my bike does the same thing every once in a while
Hey guys I have had my hub apart completely 4 times now. Sent it out for polish first time, painted it the second time and chrome twice, last time with Chip Simmons for chrome was the charm for me.

Each time I had the complete gear package out of the hub, including the seals. The key I have found is inside the hub there is an area where the internal gear package mates with the hub itself. In that area you have to apply Suzuki bond 1207B (which is nothing more than form a gasket). This step needs to be done or the hub will 100% leak. The seals when installed properly are pretty much hard to screw up. Of course all torque settings for the bolts should be followed to insure that everything is seated properly. I know there are many here that just use a hammer and chisel to re-install the stopper nut which is the nut that holds the shaft side output gear in place. This in my opinion is a bad move as well.That stopper nut has a torque setting of 79.5 Ft lbs. You are not going to achieve that torque with a hammer and chisel and a guess. I wound up making my own socket for this nut since Suzuki was backordered on the tool and it cost too much. Works great for me and got me to 79.5 ft lbs no problem. There are also a couple of seals in that area as well that should be replaced.

I can tell you that from my experience with Suzuki over the last 4+ years there is no way in he11 that they will lemon law that bike for a final drive leak. honestly if it is done right by the mechanic as well there should be no problem unless the hub itself has defective casting in the part itself. Have them start with a new hub and call it a day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
oil leak

Where does yours seem to be leaking from. mine just start up by secondary gear case. On mine the oil seems more like engine oil than gear lube. I just cleaned up the cover over this case, there was a fair amount of oil on the lip of the cover and the rubber boot between the case & driveshaft housing was wet.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Where does yours seem to be leaking from. mine just start up by secondary gear case. On mine the oil seems more like engine oil than gear lube. I just cleaned up the cover over this case, there was a fair amount of oil on the lip of the cover and the rubber boot between the case & driveshaft housing was wet.
Your leak is totaly differant from the final drive (hub) leak your secondary houseing has a O-ring that was probly pinched when installed I`ve had mine out severial time and messed up the o-ring once that is probly your problem!! IMHO

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
secondary drive has a rubber "O" ring seal as well. Bolts need to be torqued on that housing to 29 ft lbs. A leak from the secondary drive WILL be engine oil. As for the oil on the boot, the oil is leaking and blowing back. You could try to just tighten the secondary drive case bolts first to see if that cures the problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for help with my problem. I probably need to replace all 3 o-rings and the seal I'm sure. Is it a big problem removing gear case and getting it apart to replace these parts? Is there anything else that sould be replaced? My bike only has 5300 miles on it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm willing to be there is an issue with the casting or whatever process they use for the parts....I just don't see a mechanic screwing up this many times in a row (they arn't making any money off of this) LOL I know for a fact because suzuki has yet to pay for any of the previous repairs lol....anyways...I'm just willing to bet it's an issue with the parts...apparently the first time they cracked it open all of the seals were severly jacked up inside..just leads me to believe in the process of the bike being put together something got screwed up......

Hey guys I have had my hub apart completely 4 times now. Sent it out for polish first time, painted it the second time and chrome twice, last time with Chip Simmons for chrome was the charm for me.

Each time I had the complete gear package out of the hub, including the seals. The key I have found is inside the hub there is an area where the internal gear package mates with the hub itself. In that area you have to apply Suzuki bond 1207B (which is nothing more than form a gasket). This step needs to be done or the hub will 100% leak. The seals when installed properly are pretty much hard to screw up. Of course all torque settings for the bolts should be followed to insure that everything is seated properly. I know there are many here that just use a hammer and chisel to re-install the stopper nut which is the nut that holds the shaft side output gear in place. This in my opinion is a bad move as well.That stopper nut has a torque setting of 79.5 Ft lbs. You are not going to achieve that torque with a hammer and chisel and a guess. I wound up making my own socket for this nut since Suzuki was backordered on the tool and it cost too much. Works great for me and got me to 79.5 ft lbs no problem. There are also a couple of seals in that area as well that should be replaced.

I can tell you that from my experience with Suzuki over the last 4+ years there is no way in he11 that they will lemon law that bike for a final drive leak. honestly if it is done right by the mechanic as well there should be no problem unless the hub itself has defective casting in the part itself. Have them start with a new hub and call it a day.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Thanks for help with my problem. I probably need to replace all 3 o-rings and the seal I'm sure. Is it a big problem removing gear case and getting it apart to replace these parts? Is there anything else that sould be replaced? My bike only has 5300 miles on it
At this point I would first try and tighten the secondary housing bolts and see if that works. If not try and replace the "O" ring inside the secondary housing which just requires you to pull the 4 secondary drive bolts and the allen bolt holding the sensor on the outside of the housing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well got a hold of Suzuki HQ.....because I spoke with the mechanics and well..no duh, the bike is not rideable due to oil leaking out onto the rim and well the tire....so I posed to them my issue...I have a memorial ride this sunday that I have not missed since 2003.....and now I have no friggin ride becuse my brand new bike keeps breaking down...."what can you do"....and pretty much the answer is "they can't make any good will offers until the claim is completed" in other words asking for some kind of "loaner" or would they at least pay for a rental so I can make this ride (hell at this point being the 4th time in should hook me up with a bike till it's fixed).....all they will do is call the dealership and press them to get it fixed before Sunday......knowing the volume of this shop I doubt this is going to get resolved this quick.....might have to talk to the dealer "manager" and see if THEY are willing to expense something out to me...this is friggin stupid....might be the last zuk I ever own....seems like BMW knows how to take care of their people......just pissed....:verymad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 3rd. time you take it back for the same identical problem "its a lemon" or they just don't know what they are doing
I would have already be demanding a hub replacement before by the 3rd. time
That's pretty much what I told the dealership....sounds like something is screwed up in there enough that it needs a new hub....or hub/rim...or hell replace everything from the driveshaft back for all I care....

as for the lemon law...in Va last time I looked it up it is "three times" however the dealership get's a 4th shot at a repair before lemon law takes effect.......or that's how I read it...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
That's pretty much what I told the dealership....sounds like something is screwed up in there enough that it needs a new hub....or hub/rim...or hell replace everything from the driveshaft back for all I care....

as for the lemon law...in Va last time I looked it up it is "three times" however the dealership get's a 4th shot at a repair before lemon law takes effect.......or that's how I read it...
maybe you are being too nice to the service manager... they are misdiagnosing the problem; they are not properly identifying what causing the leak because they are overlooking the cause, or they just can't find it; never-the-less, they need to replace the problem area or the bike... you should not have to deal with the game of hoping they eventually stumble onto to the fix.
fix it now, or replace it now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
maybe you are being too nice to the service manager... they are misdiagnosing the problem; they are not properly identifying what causing the leak because they are overlooking the cause, or they just can't find it; never-the-less, they need to replace the problem area or the bike... you should not have to deal with the game of hoping they eventually stumble onto to the fix.
fix it now, or replace it now
That's what tomorrows visit is going to consist of....I don't do tuff talk on the phone...it's pointless.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well...doing a visit to remind the dealership who I am (not that I'm all so important) but their sales staff know me very well...(responcible for 9 bike sales in 6 years)....and half of those bikes involved trade in so they made money from that sale as well...

anyways....also spoke to Suzuki HQ....

Parts being delievered TODAY.....and should be ready to rock sometime tomorrow if all goes well...:doorag:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts