M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here wish there M109R had a 6th gear in it, and is there any were that makes such a thing for it.,.,.,???
I just think that at mid speed it runs on high rpms for the size of the engine, and even higher with passenger.

G

·
I only wish we had a 6th gear as I've only had bikes with 6th, even after owning this thing for a year I've caught myself upshifting trying to find it....lol

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
With the torque it has, you could probably do with 3 gears. I constantly find myself taking off in 2nd gear. And I like the revs it turns in 5th because the power is there as soon as you give it a twist. Really no need for a 6th gear for me.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
This bike does not need a 6th gear. Its revs at 70 are way lower than any bike I have ever owned. If it had a 6th, I'd have lost my license by now.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
How are you getting higher rpms with a passenger?

RPMs in a given gear give you a given speed.

You can calculate any one of the three give the other two.

Weight is not in that equation.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
No way!

I've had mine up to 147 MPH in 5th before I backed off. :eek: That was good enough for me.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I concur, no need whatsoever for a 6th gear

·
Registered
922 Posts
6th gear ?

:dontknow:
I ride a BUSA when I'm not on the 9, so I do find myself trying to shift to that phantom 6. I guess it would be kinda nice to have a 6th gear, but it does just fine without it. (IMHO)!
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
For those that find themselves a lot on the interstate I could see why they would like a 6th gear. Kinda like overdrive. After a few hours of constant rev tone you have the tendancy to want to put it into a low rev cruise mode. Think about it. If your car or truck lost it's O.D. on the interstate you would be raging over it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
For those that find themselves a lot on the interstate I could see why they would like a 6th gear. Kinda like overdrive. After a few hours of constant rev tone you have the tendancy to want to put it into a low rev cruise mode. Think about it. If your car or truck lost it's O.D. on the interstate you would be raging over it.
I can understand that, but after riding 2 Intruder 800s and a Vstar 1100 up and down the highway to work my C already feels like it is in overdrive. The only time i am in 5th and try to shift up is just to make sure I am in 5th for fuel economy, not because it feels buzzy or I think it I have or should have another gear to go.

I guess it all depends on what you are used to

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
This subject has been discussed in this forum many times and I think a lot of people don't really understand that the way the 9 makes it's power doesn't really lend itself very well for a 6th gear. The 9's short stroke engine means the power band comes on higher in the RPM range as compared to long stroke engines. Therefore, the current highway crusing speeds RPMs of the 9 (3K-4K RPM) puts the engine speed right where it needs to be. A 6th gear would drop engine speed down in the neighborhood of 2500-3K, which would have the engine lugging. Harleys and Victorys get away with a 6th gear because they have long stroke engines that make the bulk of their power in the lower RPM range.

G

·
More gears are always better. I'd like to choose my ratios too. As I said before, a ratio n between 1st and 2nd would be great for turning corners. 1st feels like it'll buck you off, and 2nd lugs too much.

I think Lexus, vw, and mercedes are up to 7 or 8 speeds. Keeps you in the meat of the powerband with a close ratio box.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
How are you getting higher rpms with a passenger?

RPMs in a given gear give you a given speed.

You can calculate any one of the three give the other two.

Weight is not in that equation.
Yea the rpms are a tad bit higher wen i got a passenger but not by a lot, i thought it was weird to,.,.,lol

I think i notice the rpms thing because the ppl i ride with are a big variety of bike any thing from choppers to Victory's and iv ridden there's and at a cruse speed of 70 or so my 9 is at about 3400 rpm and there's with the 6th gear is at about 2400 about usually 1000 rpms diffrence.,.,.,.

I think its like hunt1moore sed "For those that find themselves a lot on the interstate I could see why they would like a 6th gear. Kinda like overdrive. After a few hours of constant rev tone you have the tendency to want to put it into a low rev cruise mode" and that's the kind of riding that me and my friends do we will leave from Hb and head down to Bmore and that's a 2 hr highway ride.
But then again its all down to preference:pop:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Yea the rpms are a tad bit higher wen i got a passenger but not by a lot, i thought it was weird to,.,.,lol

I think i notice the rpms thing because the ppl i ride with are a big variety of bike any thing from choppers to Victory's and iv ridden there's and at a cruse speed of 70 or so my 9 is at about 3400 rpm and there's with the 6th gear is at about 2400 about usually 1000 rpms diffrence.,.,.,.

I think its like hunt1moore sed "For those that find themselves a lot on the interstate I could see why they would like a 6th gear. Kinda like overdrive. After a few hours of constant rev tone you have the tendency to want to put it into a low rev cruise mode" and that's the kind of riding that me and my friends do we will leave from Hb and head down to Bmore and that's a 2 hr highway ride.
But then again its all down to preference:pop:
I gurantee you your RPMs are not different at a given speed based on how many people are on the bike, unless of course, your clutch is slipping....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts