M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much was your 1st oil change / tune up at the dealer. What did it cost you and what did they do for a 500 service check up.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
If you look in your owners manual on page 7-4, it lists the services and what needs to be done. Replace the oil and filter and the rear end oil. Inspect Exhaust controll valve,Throttle play, Clutch cable play, brakes and steering. Tighten Exhaust pipe bolts and muffler bolts and chassis bolts and nuts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
rynosback said:
If you look in your owners manual on page 7-4, it lists the services and what needs to be done. Replace the oil and filter and the rear end oil. Inspect Exhaust controll valve,Throttle play, Clutch cable play, brakes and steering. Tighten Exhaust pipe bolts and muffler bolts and chassis bolts and nuts. Hope this helps.
That's what the manual says alright. But the real question is, "What did they actually do ?

I basically paid $177. for an oil change, in my opinion. Oh, I forgot, they actually did an analysis to see if it's lean/rich.

Bolt tightening ? maybe.

I don't mean to be so tough on the dealer, but I gave them a xerox copy of the maintenance list from the manual, and they never changed my rear, saying it's nonsense to change it so soon. They seem to piss me off every time.
I mean how hard is it to drain and refill the rear ? :verymad: Had to vent. Thanks :)

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I would encourage everyone to do their own work. It's not that hard once you get into it and you will have more confidence about your ride when you know that it's been done right. Take the money you would have spent at the dealer and buy a shop manual. Best money you could spend on this bike. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lamonster said:
I would encourage everyone to do their own work. It's not that hard once you get into it and you will have more confidence about your ride when you know that it's been done right. Take the money you would have spent at the dealer and buy a shop manual. Best money you could spend on this bike. :D
Agreed ! ;)

What was i thinking.
At least they got the oil level correct, twice. :)

Now to get a Suzuki oil wrench, and a shop manual. - Al

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
Lamonster said:
I would encourage everyone to do their own work. It's not that hard once you get into it and you will have more confidence about your ride when you know that it's been done right. Take the money you would have spent at the dealer and buy a shop manual. Best money you could spend on this bike. :D
Agreed second.
I just find it interesting that they know more about the M109R then Suzuki. I think I was quoted $200 plus parts to do the first service.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use a strap with a tube that fits over a rachet to change the oil filter. Don't know how to describe the tool but for those who have seen one you know what I'm talking about. They work well and probably alot cheaper than a SUZUKI oil filter wrench.

·
Registered
231 Posts
VZR1800 said:
but I gave them a xerox copy of the maintenance list from the manual, and they never changed my rear, saying it's nonsense to change it so soon.Â
What a pile of $hit they fed you!Â
I dropped my rear end fluid at 300 miles ~ 500 km and you better believe it needed it. Next one probably around 750 miles - synthetic probably too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bluecruzer said:
What a pile of $hit they fed you!
I dropped my rear end fluid at 300 miles ~ 500 km and you better believe it needed it. Next one probably around 750 miles - synthetic probably too.
Yep, That's why I posted it. ;) I changed it later that night myself, rather than take the bike back there.

·
Registered
817 Posts
ditch said:
I use a strap with a tube that fits over a rachet to change the oil filter. Don't know how to describe the tool but for those who have seen one you know what I'm talking about. They work well and probably alot cheaper than a SUZUKI oil filter wrench.
It's about 5 bucks. NO messing with straps, fits right on the end, makes it very easy. Well worth it.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Mine cost $23 for parts only. They didn't charge for the labor because of all of the problems with the oil overfill etc......but they didn't change the rear end fluid. I asked why it says in the manual to change it? They said they "checked it, but it didn't need to be changed". What BS! I drained it last night and changed it myself. It looked like liquid black sand there were so many shavings in it, with about a quarter inch of shavings stuck to the plug itself. I'd hate to see what they think it needs to look like before they change it! Needless to say, I will do everything myself from now on. The dealer will get no more money out of me. I'd suggest to all the new owners here to change it yourself, and often. It takes 5 minutes to do and it costs $9 for sythethic lube.

·
Registered
817 Posts
BlkM109r said:
Mine cost $23 for parts only. They didn't charge for the labor because of all of the problems with the oil overfill etc......but they didn't change the rear end fluid. I asked why it says in the manual to change it? They said they "checked it, but it didn't need to be changed". What BS! I drained it last night and changed it myself. It looked like liquid black sand there were so many shavings in it, with about a quarter inch of shavings stuck to the plug itself. I'd hate to see what they think it needs to look like before they change it! Needless to say, I will do everything myself from now on. The dealer will get no more money out of me. I'd suggest to all the new owners here to change it yourself, and often. It takes 5 minutes to do and it costs $9 for sythethic lube.
Check this thread:

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=197.0

·
Registered
101 Posts
man i just bought a filter and gal. of oil from stealer friday night, and it cost me 43.00!!!! oh and i got couple of those damn push pins ...stealer told me me they were 2.99 each ...i about fell over at the total !!! think im goin full syn. oil next time around WONT BE MUCH MORE!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I paid $67 for a Oil and Filter Change in Flagstaff,AZ.
man i just bought a filter and gal. of oil from stealer friday night, and it cost me 43.00!!!! oh and i got couple of those damn push pins ...stealer told me me they were 2.99 each ...i about fell over at the total !!! think im goin full syn. oil next time around WONT BE MUCH MORE!!!
:eek:ldpost:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah you really should do your on work. I have never took my 9 for anything. Just the thought of someone else working on my bike worries??? me.This is my first bike and never worked on one before but now I can strip it down to the frame in under 15 mins!JK:D

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I not exactly sure but------

I think it was about $100.00 or so.

·
Registered
79 Posts
500 mile service

I really don't know, because when I bought my bike. I also purchase the service plan. But I think its roughly around $350-$380 for the first service. The Customer Service person told me that most of your routine service cost on average around $380-$425. "Tech hrly rate $99 per hr, and mimuim of 3.5 hrs. I hope this help

livhrdridehrd :dontknow:

How much was your 1st oil change / tune up at the dealer. What did it cost you and what did they do for a 500 service check up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts