M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea, a Brake Away is the way to go, but I've got too many other mods that are higher on the list, so I made a simple but effective cruise control.

Here's what the finished product looks like.

Engaged

Disengaged

Another Look

I know it's not as cool as JR's pipe mod, but then few things in life are. My wrist is happy again, so I'll take what I can get.

... and yea, I know, the black ball looks kinda goofy, but I hope to find a stainless or aluminum knurled knob to replace it with. If you know about something that would look better, I'd appreciate a link to it.

If you're interested and want to do this, it's really pretty simple. The hardest part is drilling and tapping the stainless cap screw. Here's a picture of the hardware you'll need. I used stainless for everything but the bracket and the spring (I didn't have any stainless flat bar and couldn't find a stainless spring). The cap screw is 5/16" x 3/4" and the the long threaded shaft is a 10 x 24 x 2" machine screw with the head cut off.

I started by building the bracket out of 1/8" x 1" flat bar. One thing you won't see in the "hardware" picture is the stainless screw that I used to secure it to the switch housing. You'll need to replace the factory machine screw in the bottom of the switch housing with one that's about 3/4" long.

After the bracket is built and you're happy with it, move on the the cap screw. Make sure you secure it well in a drill press and use a sharp bit to punch the hole. Once the hole is done, take your time with the tap and thread the hole. Stainless is pretty hard, if you try to rush it you'll break the tap and have to start all over.

Here's what you should wind up with.

Use threadlocker and screw the knob onto the threaded shaft then assemble the pieces.

I'll probably eventually have the bracket powder coated silver so it won't be so obvious but, for now, it'll do.

Once it's installed and you're at cruising speed, reach over with your left hand and tighten the knob just enough to keep the throttle from backing off.

And you just saved $195 that you can go to DirectLine and spend on LED tail lights, or stainless brake lines, or a Power Commander, or a Big Air Kit, or an Air Ride Suspension, or a 280 kit.............

One final note, don't paint the spring (as Homer would say - Doh!). I built one of these for a previous bike and the spring rusted. I thought (but didn't stop to think, if you know what I mean) that a light coat of Krylon might help. Wrong... The paint just flakes off as the spring is compressed. I'll just keep a little oil on it and replace it if it gets too bad.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thats pretty cool man, but what if you need to stop in a hurry?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Simple and effective, Chappy...well done. :bigthumbsup:

I did wonder about one thing, they make star knobs in various shapes and sizes, male, female, etc...

Could you possibly incorporate that style in place of the ball knob? That way you could turn it with the thumb of your throttle hand.

LG

An example of a star knob:

...and here is one on my bike. It's right where my thumb can easily turn it. Hard to see, I know...bike's inside the house right now and I can't use the flash due to bounce.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Chappy
Why not make the top half with the nylon the spring loaded half? Then instead of tightening on the road you could just pivot the arm in and out?
maybe a litle dent to click into. Set it so that it is higher than the bottom of the grip ring by a little, then push it under with your thumb, click it has some pressure/grip.

Sledzep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sledzep01, you mean something like this:

available at http://www.schneidersinc.com/flip_a_lever.htm

I was lookin at buyin this one or the VistaCruise. The Vista is just kinda fugly (IMO) and a bit of a contraption. The Flip-A-Lever is simple and clean, but I figured I could do about the same thing with my home brewed rig.

As far as gettin my rig to work like the Flip-A-Lever, that's just too much tinkerin for me. At that point, I'd just buy the thing.

By the way, thanks to LionsGate for the post about the star knob. I'm guessin that's a Hardley Road King you got there (just pickin), I think that's where I've seen that set up before. Re the knob, I was looking for something like that, I just couldn't find one with a stainless shaft.

Keep the rubber side up.

·
Registered
974 Posts
chappy said:
sledzep01, you mean something like this:

available at http://www.schneidersinc.com/flip_a_lever.htm

I was lookin at buyin this one or the VistaCruise. The Vista is just kinda fugly (IMO) and a bit of a contraption. The Flip-A-Lever is simple and clean, but I figured I could do about the same thing with my home brewed rig.

I dremeled the cruise out some so it fits a bit tighter up on the grips.

As far as gettin my rig to work like the Flip-A-Lever, that's just too much tinkerin for me. At that point, I'd just buy the thing.

By the way, thanks to LionsGate for the post about the star knob. I'm guessin that's a Hardley Road King you got there (just pickin), I think that's where I've seen that set up before. Re the knob, I was looking for something like that, I just couldn't find one with a stainless shaft.

Keep the rubber side up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey, I'm new and did not get a chance to see the pictures attached to this string on the cruise control.
Can we get the pictures reattached so I can see what the great idea was? After all a picture is worth a thousand words, right?
thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
We had an integrated adjustable throttle friction knob for throttles on Harleys for more years then i can remember. 1 you didn't lock the knob even tho yer could. 2 You adjusted the friction so you could ride it in any position you left it in, and easily back it off like you normally would while up shifting. The only people that ever got kilt because of it were the stupid and thats been going on since man emerged on earth. I'm sure the new high tech ones are better and safer but that doesn't change the fact that a simple factory thumb screw did the job just fine and this gentlemen' s device looks to do the same.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That looks like it would do a decent job, but after a while I would think it scratches up the chrome ring on the grip. Lamonster did a real nice throttle lock a while back which involved a threaded screw and a chrome air cleaner thumb screw, and it went through the bottom of the switch housing and rubbed on part of the throttle sleeve where the cables ride on. It worked just as good as it looked :bigthumbsup: This is the link for that http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php/topic,14293.0.html Hopefully the link still works. But not too long ago I bought a Brakeaway and have been loving it since. A bit tricky to install but once on its great.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I just love this , we can all build our own version
with the different knob , as for the nylon
scratching the chrome , there are some fittings for
furnases that have a rubber ball at the tip , so....
-----------------
I have one question , why would you need the spring ????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts