M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear tire was punctured by a piece of metal. My Suzuki dealer wouldn't plug it he said due to liability and informed me most other bike shops would either. He said the only fix is to order a new 240 Dunlop, like what's on it, to replace it. He said the tire costs $440 plus mounting and balancing. I think this is too expensive! Does anybody know if there are any other tires that cost less and would fit the M109 with out any modifications?......Thanks!.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
I just put a Dunlop 240 on my Yamaha and it cost me $135. Unfortunately, you'll need to go to your dealership to have it mounted due to not many folks have worked on a 109R. Also, your dealer may not mount a tire that he didn't sell to you. My advice is to call other Suzuki dealerships in the area and make sure they'll mount a tire that you supply first. If so, look up Dunlop Elite 3 on the internet. I'm not sure what the part number is on your tire though and not sure what the rating is. Do your homework and save some cash. :bigthumbsup:
www.hellrisercustoms.com/oychoppa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Sounds like the "Stealer" is trying to bend you over....

...Tell him next time to at least buy you dinner!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
$440 for a rear tire. The only difference between your dealer and Jesse James is that Jesse James used a gun :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
DO NOT BUY THE DUNLOP 250/40 - 18. It isn't a true 250. I bought one and it ended up being too wide. I had to sell it on Ebay and buy a Dunlop 240/40 - 18 to replace. The Dunlop 250 actually measured 268mm. MAJOR CLEARANCE ISSUES!!!!!!!!! So, replace the OEM Dunlop with the Dunlop Elite 3 240/40-18. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
www.hellrisercustoms.com/oychoppa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
OYChoppa said:
DO NOT BUY THE DUNLOP 250/40 - 18. It isn't a true 250. I bought one and it ended up being too wide. I had to sell it on Ebay and buy a Dunlop 240/40 - 18 to replace. The Dunlop 250 actually measured 268mm. MAJOR CLEARANCE ISSUES!!!!!!!!! So, replace the OEM Dunlop with the Dunlop Elite 3 240/40-18. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
www.hellrisercustoms.com/oychoppa
Where exactly was it too wide......fender or swing arm????? Did you actually have the tire mounted onto the stock rim and try to fit it on your bike???? I have one on order and am expecting the tire any day now. According to the Dunnie tire sight their 250/40-R18 Elite 3 is actually ten inches wide. I measured the outer most edge of the D221 currently mounted on my bike and it was 9.5 inches wide with approximately 5/8 inch clearance between both sides of the tire and swing arm. Any additional info would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
bob109 said:
Where exactly was it too wide......fender or swing arm????? Did you actually have the tire mounted onto the stock rim and try to fit it on your bike???? I have one on order and am expecting the tire any day now. According to the Dunnie tire sight their 250/40-R18 Elite 3 is actually ten inches wide. I measured the outer most edge of the D221 currently mounted on my bike and it was 9.5 inches wide with approximately 5/8 inch clearance between both sides of the tire and swing arm. Any additional info would be appreciated.
Yeah, I had an Avon 250 on the rear of my Road Star. It needed replacing so I went with the more cost effective Dunlop Elite 3 250. The only problem is that the Dunlop 250 is much wider. There is a lip on the outside of both sides of the tire that makes it wider than the Avon. I had the Dunlop 250 mounted to my custom wheel and when I tried to put it all back together the tire hit the swingarm on the right side and wouldn't clear the drive belt on the left side. You can try it but I wouldn't count on that big tire clearing your drive shaft. I ended up puting a Dunnie 240/40 on instead. An Avon will fit my bike but the cost was way too much. I'm very satisfied with the Dunlop 240.
www.hellrisercustoms.com/oychoppa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Keep in mind that the Dunlop Elite 3 is a touring tire and the OEM D221 is a sport tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
OYChoppa said:
Yeah, I had an Avon 250 on the rear of my Road Star. It needed replacing so I went with the more cost effective Dunlop Elite 3 250. The only problem is that the Dunlop 250 is much wider. There is a lip on the outside of both sides of the tire that makes it wider than the Avon. I had the Dunlop 250 mounted to my custom wheel and when I tried to put it all back together the tire hit the swingarm on the right side and wouldn't clear the drive belt on the left side. You can try it but I wouldn't count on that big tire clearing your drive shaft. I ended up puting a Dunnie 240/40 on instead. An Avon will fit my bike but the cost was way too much. I'm very satisfied with the Dunlop 240.
www.hellrisercustoms.com/oychoppa
Correct me if I'm wrong! You never actually tried to fit a Dunnie Elite 3 250/40-R18 on your 109. You encountered the problem on your Road Star and had clearance problems with the tire hitting the belt drive and swing arm. What was the width of your custom wheel??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
psmith said:
My rear tire was punctured by a piece of metal. My Suzuki dealer wouldn't plug it he said due to liability and informed me most other bike shops would either. He said the only fix is to order a new 240 Dunlop, like what's on it, to replace it. He said the tire costs $440 plus mounting and balancing. I think this is too expensive! Does anybody know if there are any other tires that cost less and would fit the M109 with out any modifications?......Thanks!.
So basically, you are paying around $225 in labor for the dealer to install the tire. The rest go to markup/shipping...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
bob109 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong! You never actually tried to fit a Dunnie Elite 3 250/40-R18 on your 109. You encountered the problem on your Road Star and had clearance problems with the tire hitting the belt drive and swing arm. What was the width of your custom wheel??
I don't even own a M109R, YET!!!! But will eventually. First of all, if I pull an AVON 250 of my custom wheel and replace it with a Dunlop 250 and the Dunlop 250 doesn't fit, there are issues with the tire and not the width of the wheel. I'm not trying to squeeze a 250 onto a 6" wide wheel. I measured the Dunlop "250" and it was actually 268mm. If you can get one to fit your M109R then good for you. I just posted the info about the Dunlop 250 to give everyone a heads up on actual tire width before they drop some cash on a tire that might not fit. Just stick with stock until proven otherwise.
www.hellrisercustoms.com/oychoppa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
OYChoppa said:
I don't even own a M109R, YET!!!! But will eventually. First of all, if I pull an AVON 250 of my custom wheel and replace it with a Dunlop 250 and the Dunlop 250 doesn't fit, there are issues with the tire and not the width of the wheel. I'm not trying to squeeze a 250 onto a 6" wide wheel. I measured the Dunlop "250" and it was actually 268mm. If you can get one to fit your M109R then good for you. I just posted the info about the Dunlop 250 to give everyone a heads up on actual tire width before they drop some cash on a tire that might not fit. Just stick with stock until proven otherwise.
www.hellrisercustoms.com/oychoppa
Thank you for the heads-up.....I wasn't being negative......when I recommended, on this board, that the Dunnie 250/40-R18 Elite would fit the 109 it was after some research and comparisons of data on the Dunnie web sight. I'm currently awaiting shipment of the tire and when I read your post, I was ready to call and cancel the tire, not realizing that you were referring to a bike other than the 109. I have checked with another board member, who ordered a 250 Dunnie at the same time I did, and he confirmed that the 250 does in fact fit the 109 with no problems or modifications.
 
G

·
300CREW said:
So basically, you are paying around $225 in labor for the dealer to install the tire. The rest go to markup/shipping...
He clearly stated that it is $440 PLUS mounting and balancing... What a hossing... Call around and check for local shops that install tires that they didn't sell you and take it there with a tire ordered from a reputable online store...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Right now Suzuki is the only source for the OEM D221 tire and the list price is $440. And they are backordered at every warehouse. Aftermarket suppliers should start stocking this tire at a much lower price towards July.
The other 240 and 250 tires out there now that will fit this bike are a different compound. Good for longevity but how about when it counts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Go to the sponsor of this sight DirectLineParts.Com....They have tires which will fit the 109. Check the 109 and VTX parts listing for Dunlop tires and you'll find a appropriate tire front or rear. As was mentioned by one of our members, the Dunlop D221 is a SPORT Tire....The Dunlop Elite 3 is a TOURING Tire. I would suggest if you are a aggressive twisty rider and run your 109 like a sport bike then by all means use the D221 240/40-R18. If you do more touring and want the "wide tire", pro street look, the Dunlop Elite 3, 250/40-R18 will do nicely with the existing rim and no mods to the swing arm required.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top