M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the third drain plug  ( in front ) by oil filter  is for ( about 10 or 11 mm)?....At first I thought that plug was for the oil drainage  but barely any oil came out (about 1/4 of a QT)....then I realized where the real drain plugs were......i just want to make sure I did not drain anything I should not have...the oil that came out was the same color and texture as the normal motor oil......Any input will be helpful....... Jorge

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Re: 3rd drain plug by oil pan

I'll have to look in my service manual to be sure but it could be a drain for the filter. I never mistook anything but the two on the pan for drain plugs so I don't know how you found that one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I think it may be an oil overflow drain plug......I did notice the oil went down from the main oil pan but as I mentioned before only about 1 quarter of a quart...I will try to take a picture today and post it...the screw (plug) is kind of gold color and it is in the front of the oil pan and towards the front wheel. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

jorge said:
I think it may be an oil overflow drain plug......I did notice the oil went down from the main oil pan but as I mentioned before only about 1 quarter of a quart...I will try to take a picture today and post it...the screw (plug) is kind of gold color and it is in the front of the oil pan and towards the front wheel. Thanks.
Is it possible then that NOT emptying it after an overfill could be the reason some were getting the issue again and again even though they/their dealer said they did it right?

Sledzep

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Not sure, but I would think that being that low, it wouldn't serve as an overfill drain hole. Will be interesting to find out what it is though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps a separate compartment within the oil pan where over flow oil goes....sort of like a sink in your bathroom..there is that overflow drain.???

·
Registered
70 Posts
i dont have an answer but im waithing for one !! got me wondering !!!!!!!!!!! could this be the answer to all of our OVER FILL problems ?????

·
Registered
151 Posts
jorge, Did you drain this plug before you took off the oil filter?? If so, did oil drain from the filter when it broke contact with the block??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I did remove the 3rd drain plug before the oil filter.......I did not see as much oil as I expected coming out from the filter...but on the other hand , this is my first time changing the filter/maintenance on the M109r...not sure how much should have been there...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update..... SO far so good with the bike...after changing the oil for the first time and still not having an official explanation on what the 3rd drain plug is really for , yesterday I went riding for about 60 miles and dont have any oil problems and evertything is to the proper level...so far so good...I also changed the gear oil (at 700 miles)...It was DIRTY!!!!.........well, hopefully someone will read this post and will be able to figure out the mistery about the 3rd plug.......ADIOS AMIGOS...

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
It's not a drain or overfill plug. It's an oil gallery plug, Suzuki part #01550-1016A. Removing this plug is a waste of time if you drain your oil with the bike on the side stand.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
could very well be where you would tap into it with a mechanical gauge to check the actual oil pressure like the shop would do.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
steve j said:
could very well be where you would tap into it with a mechanical gauge to check the actual oil pressure like the shop would do.
You could put a sender for an oil temp gauge there. But you could not do an oil pressure one though, there no oil pressure in the pan ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's not a drain or overfill plug. It's an oil gallery plug, Suzuki part #01550-1016A. Removing this plug is a waste of time if you drain your oil with the bike on the side stand.
What is a ' gallery plug ' ..please excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OUR ENGINE IS PRESSURE FEED THROUGH OIL GALLERYS IN THE CRANKCASE AND HEADS.THEY ARE CAST AND MACHINED INTO THE BLOCK AND ARE USUSLLY AROUND A .25" IN DIAMETER .THE PLUG IS INSTALLED AT THE END OF THE GALLERY SO IT CAN BE REMOVE AND THE GALLERYS CAN BE CLEANED IF NEED BE I.E. A REBUILD AFTER METAL HAS GONE THROUGH THE ENGINE.THESE PANS MAYBE INTEGRATED INTO THE CRANKCASE TO MAKE IT MORE RIGID.THE GALLERY PLUG IS PLACED AS LOW AS IT CAN BE TO HELP IN REMOVING ANY TRASH IN THE GALLERY.WE SHOULD'NT HAVE TO EVER WORRY ABOUT THIS PLUG.HOPE I WAS ABLE TO HELP.BE SAFE!
Thank You for the explanation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts