M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that I had no intention of buying the Suzuki M-109R. However when looking for a new bike a few months back I started reading all
the magazines and seeing lots of press on the M-109R. I fell in love with the look immediately. No cruiser has ever even caught my eye before. I was strictly sportbike and supermoto. The M-109R changed all that after 100k miles of sport bike riding.

I still opted to go with the CBR1000RR just because I have always loved sport bikes and this thing was phenomenal. I also have a Super Moto that is going to cost me my DL any day now! :cop: I have some friends at the dealership and I go back to get oil, chain lube, and a jacket. Well one day I was in there and they had a Black M109-R in the showroom. I sat on it, fell in love with the lines and especially the big fat meat on the back. I went home, thought about it a little, then went back to the dealership and bought it. Yep, traded in a 170HP crotch rocket for the beast! :D

Man, what a difference. I was pretty sure I was gonna crash it on the way home from the dealership. LOL It was so different than a sportbike and this was the first time I have ever been on any cruiser. My foot was getting stuck in the shifter, I was hitting the brakes hard enough that I would have done an Endo on any sportbike but it was barely slowing this 700 lb monster down. At all the stop lights I still going back for the peddles after 350 miles. It was a bit un-nerving at first having to put your feet in front of you instead of in back. Still having some issues with slow tight turns, and sharp turns from a stop. Anways here's my review and 2 cents.

Sharp looking bike. I can barely make it through a stop light without someone rolling down a window and telling me how sweet my ride is or what it is. So it gets big points for that right off the bat. The performance is amazing, at least in a straight line. I love the torque but I need to quit driving it like a 1000cc super sport. I engine break pretty aggressively and have locked the rear up three times 2 of those resulting in some creepy slides. It's nice with the torque, a quick blip on the throttle straightens her right back up.

I love the sound and vibration. When you gas it good it rumbles into action and shoots your forward. If you can shift good between first and second you can really haul ass. I'm thinking 0-60 in under 4 seconds or close to it. Hopefully it will smooth out after awhile but the tranny is clunky as fuck between 1st, 2nd, and to a lesser extent third. Sometimes I also have to double clutch at a light to get it out of neutral maybe 1 out 10 times. I have a feeling that issue will fade as well as that happens on a lot of bikes for me.

I love the rear tire. It's huge and has a giant contact patch. I haven't really dumped on it from a light yet only because my confidence level is still low on a cruiser but I'm sure I'll be destroying rear tires soon enough. Living in FL I cruise the Intracostal Highway alot, for some reason this bike is particularly unnerving on the grated fold up bridges. I feels like I have no traction once again, that's more a function of my lack of time on cruisers.

I see alot of folks had the problem with the oil not being done properly by the dealership. Well here's to Palm Beach Cycles in West Palm Beach, my bike has had no such issues so maybe they paid attention during class. I still check for the dreaded overflow after every ride though. They had a blue and silver in stock as of three days ago BTW if someone is looking for those colors.

At any rate. So far I give this bike 5 out of 5 stars!!!! I'm glad when I decided to go cruiser, I went with the best most powerful cruiser ever made! :) Extra kudos for the ride comfort compared to my sportbikes. Also ++ for the heat shielding, it stays cool to the touch. I miss my sportbike, and I'm gonna pick up a '06 GSXR 1000 next month but it's definitely going to share more time with this dominant new cruiser.

I will probably be ordering the saddle bags as I am going to try and take this bike cross country from S Florida, to Laconia NH. Which leads to me to a couple of questions. When you go on long rides on your cruiser what do you do for security. When I do it on my crotch rockets and I need a place to crash I would just get my hotel room on the first floor and literally bring my bike inside. There's no way that's gonna work with this bike I don't think. It would really suck to get your bike ripped off on a long trip. I suppose it's not as much as of an issue as it's alot harder to throw a 700-800 lb bike in the back of a truck like they did with my 2003 R1. I HATE having to worry about my shit being ripped off so any ideas would be appreciated. Also looking to do my first oil change tomorrow. I found the two drain bolts but where the hell is the oil filter. The manual sucks because they only show the close up so you can't even guess where on the bike it is. I thought I looked in all the standard places. But my bike is so shiny and black I cant see shit on the inside of the frame. :)

Well there's my review. Take it for what it's worth. Maybe it will help someone else that is maturing and would like to jump from crotch rocket to cruiser.

P.S. I am looking to get a custom paint job but have never done that to any of my bikes before. There are so many custom bike builders down here in Fort Lauderdale I assume it will not be hard to find one. But I want some serious quality, i want it to be a work of art and a show bike quality paint job. Something of Mike Lavelle/Killer Paint quality! If I could get it to look as good as VtxOak's bike I'd be thrilled! :eek: If anyone knows of a good one in this area that will do the disassembly, paint, and re-assembly I would greatly appreciate some contact info.

·
Registered
326 Posts
As someone else that made the"never riden a cruiser, only sportbike" I'll say great write up. I'm just under 100 miles on my 109R so far and I'm still throwing my feet back from a stop once in a while.

I have to say the toughest change for me is where the RPM sit and downshifting. I can downshift my YZF600 at 5 or 6k and go on. I downshifted the 109R a few times on the first ride home and chirped the tire.

My wife rode her Ninja behind me and definately said the heads were turning as the bike went by (I'm nothing to look at so it has to be the bike)

·
Registered
525 Posts
For security, park the bike in front of your motel room. leave an empty gun holster strapped to the handlebars. Keep the curtain open just a little bit, so it looks like you are watching.... :evil:

·
Registered
154 Posts
300CREW said:
For security, park the bike in front of your motel room. leave an empty gun holster strapped to the handlebars. Keep the curtain open just a little bit, so it looks like you are watching.... :evil:
that's effin great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great review, I had the same problem getting used to the peg placement. As far as roadtrips I use campgrounds and have never had a problem.
But you may prefer the comfort and convenience of hotels then you should get further off the highway, leave the roadside motels alone and use the major brand hotels with parking garages.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ha Ha!!! I'm seriously thinking about buying the DRZ400SM that you have sitting in your garage. My last bike was a 2004 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, and a 2001 GSXR1000 before that...so I know all to well how much fun having a sportbike is...but those SM's just mezmorize me...I dont know what it is about them, but how is that thing on the street? Can you get deep into the corners with that thing? If you could give me a write up on the Super Moto as good as the one you did for the M109R...I think my mind will be made up!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
nice write up, i'm glad ya joined us.

·
Registered
93 Posts
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Glad to here you like it.... give the foot thing time and you will feel weird on your sport bike... i think the cruiser position is more natural

·
Registered
176 Posts
Another great write up and reason to buy 109. I also have to watch chirping the rear tire and getting used to the throttle. When I ride with my wife she is always telling me to slow it down and watch for :cop:. I also have only 350 miles on my black 109 and can't wait for the first service so I can start all the mods I have in mind. Paint will have to wait until after everything else (280 tire and blower). I'm going to have to get another job if Lamont and Rob keep tempting all of us with their great mods.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GSXR_Drew said:
Ha Ha!!! I'm seriously thinking about buying the DRZ400SM that you have sitting in your garage. My last bike was a 2004 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, and a 2001 GSXR1000 before that...so I know all to well how much fun having a sportbike is...but those SM's just mezmorize me...I dont know what it is about them, but how is that thing on the street? Can you get deep into the corners with that thing? If you could give me a write up on the Super Moto as good as the one you did for the M109R...I think my mind will be made up!
hehe! Oh yeah. I think EVERYONE should have a Super Moto! On the street it's the ballz. You can't help but do burnouts, wheelies and rear wheel slides, jump curbs, and generally do all sorts of hooliganism! I'm definitely gonna get some tickets. I can lean this thing over further than I could any sportbike. It wheelies like nothing else, does it all with like 55hp. Well stock it has 34, but one you put a racing carb, double the size of the air-intake, re-jet, and put the full yosh exhaust on there it's amazing! 0-60 in under 5, top speed 104. Not bad for a single cylinder dirt bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, I went riding with a buddy on the M109R last weekend and he was on his new R6S...all I kept thinking was...if I only had the SuperMoto, I could probably frustrate my buddy enough into buying one for himself also!! I'll probably put a call into my buddy at the dealership tomorrow. Is there any good forums dedicated to the DRZ400SM?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GSXR_Drew said:
Yeah, I went riding with a buddy on the M109R last weekend and he was on his new R6S...all I kept thinking was...if I only had the SuperMoto, I could probably frustrate my buddy enough into buying one for himself also!! I'll probably put a call into my buddy at the dealership tomorrow. Is there any good forums dedicated to the DRZ400SM?
www.thumpertalk.com
www.supermotojunkie.com

Both awesome sites. Tons of help, and the owners are like the Lamonster. They know their shit and can get any part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts