M109 Rider Forums banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
If they say it works it must.:D Maybe someone with a 10.5" wheel will speak up. I just do not know of anyone. Which side is rubbing? If you are using the supplied spacers and it is still rubbing, then you have to shim some more or you better break out the sandpaper.
The shaft side is rubbing.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
So my question is with the 2 piece swing arm & the 300 met tire, is it better to have the air ride or just some bones 2.5, 2.75 etc....?

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
So my question is with the 2 piece swing arm & the 300 met tire, is it better to have the air ride or just some bones 2.5, 2.75 etc....?
I think it's a matter of preference regardless of tire size and what swing arm you run. One shouldn't have anything to do w/ the other. I'd rather run air ride no matter what size tire/swing arm combo.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Getting the Mod itch, must be the cold weather coming, need to know from the ones who have the combo ( 300 metz & 2 piece swing arm ) if they prefer the bones or had no issues with their air ride ( fully down )

·
Registered
164 Posts
Getting the Mod itch, must be the cold weather coming, need to know from the ones who have the combo ( 300 metz & 2 piece swing arm ) if they prefer the bones or had no issues with their air ride ( fully down )
I'm running this combo and I can tell you I can't ride ride with air ride fully down. I don't have any experience with bones as I changed over everything at once.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
So what happens with it fully down , the bike wont roll or just rubbing

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
IMHO it is always better to have air ride. There are some mods that will have to be made. I even had to grind my frame a bit since it rubbed with the 2.75" bones(that wven happened with a 280 tire). I even had to grind the stealth tail light bracket so I would not rub the back of the tire. As far as the fender, I would get someone who has doen a few(like me) to do it for you unless you want to go through a lot of trial and error getting it right. Getting everything to fit takes a lot of time.

My setup: Cyclehouse swingarm(modified), widened inner fender, 2.75 bones, Kewlmetal air ride, Cyclehouse 10" replicator, 300 Metzeler.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Also depending on which swingarm you have and which exhaust you have the bracket on your exhaust bracket might need to be modded as well...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
So if one chose to do the 300 mod while maintaining the stock ride height, how many of these inner fender mods would still be necessary. I will never lower my bike. Nor will I ever have a suspension on the back that can leak down. Planning on doing a big tire mod this winter, maybe. 280 or maybe 300. But not lowering the bike. Stock rear shock stays. Will do the two piece Swampworks swingarm if I go 300.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
So if one chose to do the 300 mod while maintaining the stock ride height, how many of these inner fender mods would still be necessary. I will never lower my bike. Nor will I ever have a suspension on the back that can leak down. Planning on doing a big tire mod this winter, maybe. 280 or maybe 300. But not lowering the bike. Stock rear shock stays. Will do the two piece Swampworks swingarm if I go 300.
IMO, it will look odd, fat tire at stock height. To each their own.:bigthumbsup: What wheels do you have?

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
IMO, it will look odd, fat tire at stock height. To each their own.:bigthumbsup: What wheels do you have?
In post #39, there is a pic of a bike with a 280 that still appears to be at stock ride height. Does not appear any odder than a 250 at stock ride height, which is to say not odd at all IMHO. Rims are still stock, and I prefer a stock widened rim as post #31 said.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I believe you will have to grind/weld the one side of the inner fender. I would also grind down the bolt posts too. Other than that, you should be alright.

Nothing wrong with having air ride. I had mine back down on me once(all my own fault) because a ran a line too close to the engine and it melted through. Luckily, I use push to connect connectors and was able to cut the line and reinsert it in the push connect and away I went.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Running a 300 tire is not worth the headache ......... Just go with the 280 .. :bigthumbsup:
:agree: to much work... but do what you must... either way you ass is still gonna be phatt... LOL #imjustsaying

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thanks fellows, as far as the work that is required thats the least of my worries , winter is about to be amongst us and i have nothing but time & tools. Im just trying to get a pic in my head of what i want to do. Already been running a 280 for about 2-3 years now and had it completely drop on me on the Throngs Neck bridge in NY because my wireless remote at the time didnt have a cover over the buttons and my keys must of hit the down button, it was cool though til i pulled over and raised it but now im considering the 300........& going back to my bones 2.75 etc

·
Registered
29 Posts
The shaft side is rubbing.
I also have a 300 metz and im not 100% sure but i think its a 10,5" wheel. I just bought swampworks 2 piece swingarm. but not received it yet.
I do not know yet if I will use the stock fender or maybe buy the sumo-x fender.

I'm a little worried about you say that the shaft side is rubbing.. have you solved the problem?

/Kenned

·
Registered
157 Posts
I also have a 300 metz and im not 100% sure but i think its a 10,5" wheel. I just bought swampworks 2 piece swingarm. but not received it yet.
I do not know yet if I will use the stock fender or maybe buy the sumo-x fender.

I'm a little worried about you say that the shaft side is rubbing.. have you solved the problem?

/Kenned
Took it to dealership to complete some repairs I was having done, and the service manager told me he fixed it. I don't have the bike back yet but will update you when I do get it back.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Same issue on all swing arms. Tire rub.
Now back to grinding side of tire.
Or throw washer / shim in it to slide gear surface apart.
Or make shim to move aftermarket wheel over . To keep gear in stock location.
And this can be done without out $$$ swing arm. You can do with stock arm. Plus major fender mod needed by all arms.
All these arms but shaft still in stock location. Good luck guys. Just the facts and notes I have done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same issue on all swing arms. Tire rub.
Now back to grinding side of tire.
Or throw washer / shim in it to slide gear surface apart.
Or make shim to move aftermarket wheel over . To keep gear in stock location.
And this can be done without out $$$ swing arm. You can do with stock arm. Plus major fender mod needed by all arms.
All these arms but shaft still in stock location. Good luck guys. Just the facts and notes I have done.
Hi
you're right the shaft side is still in stock location but when buying another swingarm examble swampworks 2 piece swingarm this problem should be solved because they have milled ( cut ) in the svinger so it will fit or i hope it will :)

/Kenned

41 - 60 of 67 Posts