M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I can't find my old posts about this so here goes:

This brace needs to be removed.
Automotive tire Wood Rim Bumper Gas

These areas need to be cut out if you have air ride. They rubbed when I had my 280 too.
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fender

Grind the down so they they at least the flush with the level of the surrounding fender
Tire Automotive tire Asphalt Rim Font

The right side fender bracing needs to be cut, pounded flush and welded. With a Metzeler you want to do both side.
Hood Automotive tire Aircraft Airplane Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Here is a fender I did for a member here. I have done 4 of them so far.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Fender

Your fender braces will need to be spread apart by using longer bolts and shims(washers). The number of shims you will need will be something you find out on a trial and error basis. I would have to go look, but I think my bike has 3 shims per bolt. I had to make additional mods to my fender as I have air ride with 2.75 inch lowering bones installed.

I have a fender that is just waiting for final welding if you are interested in buying one. It's the last one i plan on doing as it is a lot of work.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Forget about it..........

·
Registered
117 Posts

I just don't think they know how much time and headache we put into getting these tires to fit and still be able to roll with it all the way down. Becouse I'm sure you know if your air ride goes out you don't want to be stuck with that thing not rolling anywhere lol. And your bike (awesome109) looks really good bro.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I just don't think they know how much time and headache we put into getting these tires to fit and still be able to roll with it all the way down. Becouse I'm sure you know if your air ride goes out you don't want to be stuck with that thing not rolling anywhere lol. And your bike (awesome109) looks really good bro.
Thanks for the compliment. Yours looks great too. It did take a lot of time to get everything to work. I spent a lot of afternoons working on getting the fender just right. Warning for anyone who does this mod. It gets a lot harder if you have air ride. Having a Metzeler tire makes things difficult too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you can't get the fender to handle the air ride going all the way down without scrubbing, you can put a rubber stopper on the swing arm that prevents it. Just an idea, the arnott can fail and the last thing you want is the tire hitting the fender.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. Yours looks great too. It did take a lot of time to get everything to work. I spent a lot of afternoons working on getting the fender just right. Warning for anyone who does this mod. It gets a lot harder if you have air ride. Having a Metzeler tire makes things difficult too.
I can appreciate all the hard work you guys put into getting your 9's where the are that is a ****e load of work you all go through to squeeze that beast under there, both of your 9's are beautiful :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
off topic, but where did you get those air intake filter covers from? Those are pretty hot and I can't even see them that we'll
The story of those air cleaners goes like this. The actual air cleaner is the same type I have on my chopper. I was lucky enough to come across another one on Ebay for $60. So I bought it thinking I would take the chopper's and use it on my M109R. I was planning on putting the original air cleaner back on the chopper. I quickly changed my mind and just bought a third one(I think it was around $200). I saved so much on the second one it was worth it. I made a backing plate for the spikes using Dam Guys idea of using the original air cleaner backing. Now I have the air cleaners I like and I was able to retain my engine guards. Dam Guy makes these mounting plates. I think he will modify your original air cleaner backing too. I thought about using the pointed air cleaners but I hate points on my bikes. Have stabbed myself too many times.:joke:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.