M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys.

I saw a post where Lamont said that with the Super Hub you might not need to modify the rear end for a 300.

I am thinking of getting the 280 kit but if a 300 comes out with no swingarm modification I would be on that instead. Is it realistic to expect this or will the swingarm definitely need modification.

Thanks guys.

G

·
Have we gotten any acurate reviews how this bike will handle with a 280 or 300 on the rear or is the jury still out????? ;)

G

·
[quote ]
You bet. I've riddin 280's and 300's before and they handle pretty much the same as a 240.

Found It :bigthumbsup:. However before I dropped that kind of money on a Mod I'd want a real world opinion rather than a generalization.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
L-Train said:
Guys.

I saw a post where Lamont said that with the Super Hub you might not need to modify the rear end for a 300.

I am thinking of getting the 280 kit but if a 300 comes out with no swingarm modification I would be on that instead. Is it realistic to expect this or will the swingarm definitely need modification.

Thanks guys.
300 is not going to work without some major mods. Right now the 280 is the way to go. I think we have 4 sets on order now and we are hoping to get them out in July. I know I want to have one for my trip to Sturgis.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response.

2 quick questions before I make up my mind on the 280 kit.

How many inches wider is it than the Dunlop 250?

How much more does the 280 conversion weigh than the standar tire and rim?

Thanks Lamont.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
L-Train said:
Thanks for the response.

2 quick questions before I make up my mind on the 280 kit.

How many inches wider is it than the Dunlop 250?

How much more does the 280 conversion weigh than the standar tire and rim?

Thanks Lamont.
I think Hal posted all the tire sizes somewhere. I can't remember at this point. ::) Not sure on the weight either. A lot will depend on how much the cut wheel will weigh. I can tell you it just looks right on the bike. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
126 Posts
So what kind of hardware is needed for the 280?? I know a 250 and 260 will work on stock rim. I like the 280 don't know if I would want to go to a 300 or not.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 280 kit is $2,350 on sale from direct line and it is a 10 inch rim. The 250 and narrower 260 fit our stock 8.5

I might just do the 250 and spend the other $2,200 on speed mods.

Hard call though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your Right I might go for the wider 250 don't really have that kind of dough to spend on one mod yet but that 280 looks Sweet!!! What is the largest/widest tire that will fit on our stock rims.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Question? I have a (Dunlap Sportmax D221) 240/40/18 that came on my M109. I want to buy a PHATTEST rear tire for the factory rim that looks correct! The dealer installed a (Dunlap Elite 3) 240/40/18 on another customers bike and it looks smaller than mine. Let me explain: My Sportmax tire looks wide and flat. It also covers most of the rim outter edge. The Elite 3's when parked next to mine, looks much rounder and thinner. Also the outter rim was exposed more. I wouldn't have noticed this if we hadn't parked both M109's side by side. So, what brand of tire & size would give me the max (wide and flat (not flat, as in low air pressure) look? Using the factory 8.5 inch rear rim.

Sincerley, Lewis B. ([email protected])

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
becoats3 said:
Question? I have a (Dunlap Sportmax D221) 240/40/18 that came on my M109. I want to buy a PHATTEST rear tire for the factory rim that looks correct! The dealer installed a (Dunlap Elite 3) 240/40/18 on another customers bike and it looks smaller than mine. Let me explain: My Sportmax tire looks wide and flat. It also covers most of the rim outter edge. The Elite 3's when parked next to mine, looks much rounder and thinner. Also the outter rim was exposed more. I wouldn't have noticed this if we hadn't parked both M109's side by side. So, what brand of tire & size would give me the max (wide and flat (not flat, as in low air pressure) look? Using the factory 8.5 inch rear rim.

Sincerley, Lewis B. ([email protected])
Do a search on "Tire info for Everyone" you'll get your answer :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Buy a Metz Marathon ME880 280/35VR 18 and have mounted on the stock rim. This has been done by several members on this site without any ill effects.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Folks:

There has been a lot of info exchanged on the board regarding tires so I'm taking the liberty to offer some insight on what your options are. Please note that I'm not endorsing any tire/rim combo as being safe other than the stock fitting ( Dunnie 240/40-R18 on 8.5 inch rim ). Tires are a matter of personal choice and the more info available to the user the better "informed choice"Â you'll have for your particular application. Data in this post will include "actual measurements" when possible and will be identified by a asterisk (*). Also included will be estimated costs of tires and pictures, when available, of actual applications. Note...bead to bead measurements were taken from unmounted tires.

!. Stock Dunnie 240/40-R18.......bead to bead width...*8.5 inches.....overall width when mounted *9.5 inches........est. cost $250 to $400.....overall width before mounting *9.375 inches

2. Avon Venom R 250/40-R18.....bead to bead width....*9 inches        overall width when mounted *9.750......est. cost $195 to $225.........overall width before mounting *10 inches

3. Dunnie Elite 3 250/40-R18.......bead to bead width....*9.375 inches.....overall width when mounted est. 10 inches.......est. cost $120 to $160.......overall width before mounting *10.625 inches

4. Metz ME 880 260/40-R18........bead to bead width......       overall width when mounted * 9.875.......est. cost $175 to $200

5. Metz ME880 280/35-R18.........bead to bead width.......*10 inches       overall width when mounted *10.5 inches.....est. cost $200 to $250.....overall width before mounting *10.6875 inches

Note: All of the above applications apply to the stock 8.5 inch wide rim and require NO SWING ARM MODIFICATION. Additionally no special installation procedures are required.

6. Metz ME880 280/35-R18 mounted to 10 inch wide rim with special hub....bead to bead width......      overall width when mounted *11 inches.......est. cost $2250 to $2350

Note: A special mounting installation procedure which recommends professional assistance/installation is recommended and required when the Metz 280/35-R18 is mounted to the 10 inch wide rim. The procedure which requires the removal of the rear end and drive shaft assembly has been documented and is available on this site.

I had this on file :bigthumbsup: Later Silentrider

Posted By BOB109

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3596.0

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did not have to remove the rearend or drive shaft to put the 300 on my bike.I don't see why you would have to on the 280 either.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
joec said:
I did not have to remove the rearend or drive shaft to put the 300 on my bike.I don't see why you would have to on the 280 either.
Joe: Rear End removal would only apply if the 280 was mounted to the 10 inch wide rim :bigthumbsup: If I recall you said to lower the tire pressure on the 280 or 300 when they were mounted to the stock 8.5 inch wide rim and they would squeeze into place.

Respectfully

bob109

1 - 20 of 29 Posts