M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.. super excited about my 9! First time rider (after having GXSR) and had to buy and ship sight unseen (excerpt for dealer FaceTime walk around). 2014 great deal! One question i have is that every so often it is VERY difficult to shift to second, almost like it won’t at all. I’ve had to pull over and give it several attempts from neutral. Other times it’s flawless. Any info?? Bike has about 7500 miles. I love it and have been waiting to get one of these what seems like forever.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations on your new 9!
The M109 likes to shift from 1 to 2 at low RPM. So long as your clutch is adjusted properly, it should shift smoothly into 2nd unless you rev it too high. Try shifting at 2500 RPM.

Reactions: JUDAH-9

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations on your new 9!
The M109 likes to shift from 1 to 2 at low RPM. So long as your clutch is adjusted properly, it should shift smoothly into 2nd unless you rev it too high. Try shifting at 2500 RPM.
I am in total agreement with Pete's comments/response. Coming from Sport Bikes, it takes a bit of time to get used to the robust shifting required from 1st to 2nd gear on the M109R. The shifting is not nearly as bad on your stock 2014 model, as it is on a 2006 tp 2009 model. The reason being is...starting with the 2011 model M109Rs Suzuki went to a new clutch assembly, to improve the extremely-rough shifting from 1st to 2nd gear that existed in the 2006- to 2009 models. However, you can improve the shifting, and make it much, much smoother, by purchasing a Shift Star, or the G-man Shift Bushing. Both work very well, in smoothing out the shifting from 1st to 2nd gear in any/all of the year model M109Rs.

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on being a new 9 owner! 🙋‍♂️ (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts