M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How low can you go without eating a rear wheel when riding 2up?

I go 225 and the wife is the same.

I want to go 2", but can I go more?

What are you running and how low are you with your S.O. on the back?

·
Registered
77 Posts
i asked the same question im about 275 and wife about 140 and the majority said i needed to stick with 1.5" some did say i could go to 2" and stiffen the shock up

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
T'would definitely depend on how big both you and your wife are. I'm at 2" lowered and stiffen the shock to 6th setting with my girlfriend and I on. I'm 6'4" at 200 pounds and she's 5'11" at 165 pounds and the bike sits very well without bottoming out.

Nate

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I would stick with 1.5". I have 2" on mine, which actually lower it about 2.5". My wife and I together weight around 350 pounds, and we bottomed it twice. Both times were in really bad drops, but you find those.

Don't forget to grind off or shorten the bolts under the rear fender whichever you go to. That way if you do bottom it's just the tire hitting the inner fender, which won't cause any damage.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Don't forget to grind off or shorten the bolts under the rear fender whichever you go to. That way if you do bottom it's just the tire hitting the inner fender, which won't cause any damage.
Yes, something I almost forgot to do but someone nice reminded me! haha

·
Registered
766 Posts
I would stick with 1.5". I have 2" on mine, which actually lower it about 2.5". My wife and I together weight around 350 pounds, and we bottomed it twice. Both times were in really bad drops, but you find those.

by the way my problem is the opposite. I need to raise the bike a little... they have a lot of speed bumps here and y god they are BIG.... i have scratched the bottom of the bike a couple of times. Can I raise it on the absorbers? i worries me I might damage something underneath or the oil pan....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
by the way my problem is the opposite. I need to raise the bike a little... they have a lot of speed bumps here and y god they are BIG.... i have scratched the bottom of the bike a couple of times. Can I raise it on the absorbers? i worries me I might damage something underneath or the oil pan....
Stiffen the shock for starters ... after that you may want to get a custom set of " raising " bones however I think if you take the bumps slow and on an angle along with stiffening the shock that would be the best option.

I know the 9 handles better when you drop it a bit , not sure how it will handle if you raise it ...

We have pot holes here that will swallow a small car let alone a bike , you just avoid them as best as you can ... speed bumps are big in some of the malls around here also , I just take them on an angle ....

·
Registered
766 Posts
Stiffen the shock for starters ... after that you may want to get a custom set of " raising " bones however I think if you take the bumps slow and on an angle along with stiffening the shock that would be the best option.

I know the 9 handles better when you drop it a bit , not sure how it will handle if you raise it ...

We have pot holes here that will swallow a small car let alone a bike , you just avoid them as best as you can ... speed bumps are big in some of the malls around here also , I just take them on an angle ....
Thanks . yeah that is what I do take them at an angle...but it is a pain...
doesnt stiffening the shocks make a harder ride?? I might just do that

·
Registered
485 Posts
I usually just put my woman, back there... she's about 435lbs... so she pretty much lowers it for me. What? What I say? :-\

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
How low can you go without eating a rear wheel when riding 2up?

I go 225 and the wife is the same.

I want to go 2", but can I go more?

What are you running and how low are you with your S.O. on the back?
i would go with the 1.5" bones from DLP and leave it at that. 450# on 2" bones might be asking for trouble and if you go lower than that you will definitely encounter problems. grind down the bolts underneath the rear fender & stiffen the shock setting to 6 or 7 and you should be fine with the 1.5" bones. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
Thanks . yeah that is what I do take them at an angle...but it is a pain...
doesnt stiffening the shocks make a harder ride?? I might just do that
It makes it a little stiffer, but not by much. Going from the stock 4 position to 7 will raise it close to 1/2". And if you think about it, what the adjuster does acts more as a ride height adjuster than as a spring tensioner. If it were just a spring tensioner the height of the ride wouldn't change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts