M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I have wondered for some time why more M109's have had clutch and 2'nd gear hassles than C109's do, I just ran a comparison check on both the clutch and transmissions OEM Part Numbers in 2009, for both the M109's and the C109's, and part number differences did come up in both the clutches and transmissions, though less differences between the trannys. I only noted the left column list numbers and part descriptions, and not the part numbers themselves, which did differ between "M" and "C" models for 2009 models:

Clutch part differences:
#4 -- Spring, Clutch
#5 -- Plate, Clutch Driven No. 1 (T:3.6 & T:3.0)
#9 -- Plate, Clutch Driven No. 1 (T:2.9)
#18 - Washer, Clutch Sleeve Hub
#24 - Camshaft, Clutch Release
#25 - Cap, Clutch Piston Rod
#26 - Spring, Clutch Release Return
#27 - Arm, Clutch Release
#28 - Screw, Clutch Piston Rod
#29 - Washer, Clutch Release (10.5X24X1.0)

Transmission part differences:
#1 -- Shaft, Cntr
#2 -- Gear, 2'nd Drive
#39 - Gear Assy, Primary Driven NT
#40 - Bolt, Primary Driven Gear

I could not help but notice that the part numbers for the infamous 2'nd gear were different between the "M" and "C" models in 2009. Maybe Suzuki depleted their first batch of 2'nd drive gears during replacements, and then machined up a whole new identical second batch, but appointed them a new number on the newer C109R & RT diagrams, but didn't update the existing database on the M109 diagrams?

I dunno, but I did find it interesting, as some M109 riders have speculated that it is their hard riding practices (???) that have accounted for the greater occurence of 2'nd gear troubles with them over those of the C109 riders. This list, (by the way,) is an outcome of a brief response that I made over in the C109 forum, but I thought that I would post this more specific thread over here with the "M" riders, because they are the ones who are being hit more in this area. What I initially wondered then was, could it be that Suzuki modified some of their clutch and transmission parts in the newer C109 models, based upon lessons that they learned from the speedy "M" models? I really don't know if this is even true at all, but it does make one wonder.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts