M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
When I'm riding in 2nd gear, the bike jumps (lunges forward) a few times until I get it rolling and shift to third. It only does this in 2nd gear and then it rides fine. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

·
Registered
148 Posts
these bikes seem to have a problem catching second gear so when you shift it make sure you pull it into second with some authority.like we all say on the board "shift it like you mean it!"):bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bro! Hopefully that helps. I just had the clutch replaced not even a year ago, and that Suzuki dealer went belly up. I'll replace the next one myself!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
It's more then likely worn shift forks and slide shafts as well as any damage that second gear has sustained....if this is the case the engine has to be torn down completely as the trans is inside the engine cases.

·
Registered
310 Posts
be ready to spend about $1500.00...:cus:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would start with the riding changes. You didn't mention year so I'm assuming it's older than 2009, not that this would make much difference.

What I have found that makes a world of difference and it doesn't matter what speed I increase to in first gear.......

I pre-load second. Meaning, after I have moved forward in first, I put my toe/foot under the shifter and before pulling in the clutch, I put some pressure on the shifter so that when I do tap the clutch it's moves right into 2nd and I'm stilling pulling away like a freight train.

So pre-load before actually shifting and you might notice a difference.
Cheers & good luck
Paul

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am also having the same problem, when I put any load in second before I shift to 3rd I have a slip then the rpm's jumps and then grabs hopefully it's just the clutch, but it shifts so good in any other gear, no noise coming from the bike at all. hopefully just a new clutch, I love this bike

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sorry guys but that is ur second gear going bad, i have been riding like this for a while i just been double shifting two third when i can and skip second until i can get this 2nd gear fixt..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry guys but that is ur second gear going bad, i have been riding like this for a while i just been double shifting two third when i can and skip second until i can get this 2nd gear fixt..
Thanks man, that makes me feel a whole lot better, I just dropped $300.00 on the 12,000 mile service and need to save some more money, It's about $350.00 for a new clutch, I just quit ridding it like I stole it and ride it normal and I have no problem. should I go stock clutch or after market I keep hearing mixed views

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Thanks man, that makes me feel a whole lot better, I just dropped $300.00 on the 12,000 mile service and need to save some more money, It's about $350.00 for a new clutch, I just quit ridding it like I stole it and ride it normal and I have no problem. should I go stock clutch or after market I keep hearing mixed views
You do understand that you probably have worn or bent shift forks/shafts and second gear right? Don't waste you money on a clutch if it is in fact a tranny problem....over the years a lot of members here have tried "aftermarket high performance clutch plates and springs" and it would seem that most of them felt the stock clutch was better for all around running as long as it's kept within it's adjustment specs and has proper oil circulation. Running a 750+ lb machine with excess of 100hp/100ftlbs of tq is gonna be tough on the drive line no matter what you use. There have been in depth threads on what is necessary to repair your trans, if you do a search you will find it interesting and informative. One of the better ones was written by a member named JUtah and he did the repairs himself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the insight on what the problem could be, I will stay stock, if it is a transmission problem I hope it can wait till winter,

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've noticed if you are going to ride it ruff, put a little bit of forward pressure on the shifter.. like you want to down shift.. not too much just a little...

When I do that it seems to help with the skipping

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You do understand that you probably have worn or bent shift forks/shafts and second gear right? Don't waste you money on a clutch if it is in fact a tranny problem....over the years a lot of members here have tried "aftermarket high performance clutch plates and springs" and it would seem that most of them felt the stock clutch was better for all around running as long as it's kept within it's adjustment specs and has proper oil circulation. Running a 750+ lb machine with excess of 100hp/100ftlbs of tq is gonna be tough on the drive line no matter what you use. There have been in depth threads on what is necessary to repair your trans, if you do a search you will find it interesting and informative. One of the better ones was written by a member named JUtah and he did the repairs himself.
It will be the second gear shift fork. I agree, don't start replacing clutch's. You're wasting your time. Trying different shift methods will also do nothing. The problem will slowly get worse. Just bite the bullet and get it done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It will be the second gear shift fork. I agree, don't start replacing clutch's. You're wasting your time. Trying different shift methods will also do nothing. The problem will slowly get worse. Just bite the bullet and get it done.
I just bought this bike and put 2,000 miles on it since last year this sucks, but I love this bike, I traded my sportbike in that was having problems, if I would have purchased an extended warranty I still would have been screwed because it's has been over a year now I need to find some more cash.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
We all love this bike, but if I had a $10 bucks for every person that was left holding the cards from this problem I would do well.
It would be nice if Suzuki picked those cards up for us wouldn't it?

We know they read these forums. Business's have been putting their pocket book over the consumer for years though. This is nothing new. It's capitalism at its best. BP has destroyed a coast line by putting profits first, the bail out to the bank owners destroyed many retirement plans for their own profit, and Suzuki on a much smaller scale has cost many of us a lot of money to save them from a costly fix on their end.
Yes, its capitalism at it's best, alive and well across the globe.
I still like the bike though, and I did get my second gear replaced under the extended warranty after an entire summer of political games, so I'm happy about that.
Anyway,, This rant brought to you by too much coffee this morning, and not wanting to start my yard work... : )
I should be just riding.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
We all love this bike, but if I had a $10 bucks for every person that was left holding the cards from this problem I would do well.
It would be nice if Suzuki picked those cards up for us wouldn't it?

We know they read these forums. Business's have been putting their pocket book over the consumer for years though. This is nothing new. It's capitalism at its best. BP has destroyed a coast line by putting profits first, the bail out to the bank owners destroyed many retirement plans for their own profit, and Suzuki on a much smaller scale has cost many of us a lot of money to save them from a costly fix on their end.
Yes, its capitalism at it's best, alive and well across the globe.
I still like the bike though, and I did get my second gear replaced under the extended warranty after an entire summer of political games, so I'm happy about that.
Anyway,, This rant brought to you by too much coffee this morning, and not wanting to start my yard work... : )
I should be just riding.
I don't agree with your philosophy there Canuk....but I still like you man :bigthumbsup: I do think any company should be more responsible for what they do then is being done. I also hate to stick up for Zuk in anyway, but I believe if they had built a trans that could take the abuse that some of us give it....the bike would have been more expensive then many of us would have accepted and might have went on to another purchase. Yes I know some of the tranny's just failed without being abused, poor/cheap designs contributed as much as burnouts and powershifts into second.... I wish we had a more positive linkage...a slipper clutch...solid fork shafts and back-cut gears as much as the next guy :D But it would have probably exceeded my limit of 15k for a bike. Remember...you pay us now or you pay us later

G

·
be ready to spend about $1500.00...:cus:
If mine craps out, I'm having the repairs done in your neighborhood, then. Around here that job is $2000-$2500 easy. I know 2 guys who've had it done. You'll be lucky if the labor charges are only $1500...then the parts, tax...big money job to split the cases.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I asked again last time I was at the local Suzuki dealer how many 2nd gear issues they ran across since 2006 with the M109. They said not a one..But was told by the same dealer that the M109r was the most problem bike they ever sold about a year ago. I bought my M109r new in 2007 and within the first week I felt something about the bike just wasn't right and I posted it here. (well on the older forum) I sold mine in 2007 for 7300.00 with 1800 miles or so. Then bought a 2008 zx14, one thing about the kawi they do have a great shifting transmission..for me anyways. Still think the M109r is a great looking bike but just too many problems that I thought would be in my future with it. My best friend is looking to buy and ask me..I told him I would pass if he plan to keep it for a while.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts