M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know I've seen a bunch of stuff here about the second gear popping issue... I really dont want to see anything wrong with my 109, but it seems to have gotten worse in the last couple months... :-\

I bought my 2009 M109 brand new this march. I did my oil change around the first 800 miles as recommended. It was hard, but I didnt abuse the bike in the first 1000 miles, but I did get on it a couple times, but nothing major, no joke...

I did take it to the local drag strip and did about 4 or 5 passes on it with a best time of 12.90.

In the last couple months the "popping" into second gear seems to have gotten worse. My buddy is a mechanic and noticed that my clutch seems to engage a bit to soon, so he adjusted it, which seems to have helped a little. I really am worried about it because I dont want to have to worry about chipping or breaking a tooth in second gear.

The bike is under warranty until March of 2011, 1 year to the date of purchase. Do you think I should take it in and have them look at it? :-\

Also, any ideas of how to clear up the issue would be helpful. I did 2 oil changes so far, 1st at about 800 miles, and the second around 4500 miles... Currently I'm at around 5500 miles. ((Not too bad I think for less than a year of riding! :D))

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Is it popping out of gear? If so, take it into the dealer and have them fix the problem since you probably aren't riding in Ohio now anyway.

It could be the shift fork, or you might have the clutch hub nut backing off. Either way your dealer (if they are any good) will take care of you.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Sounds like you have a bent second gear shift fork.
Kind of popular. If you can't get a warranty repair, you are looking at a nice chunk of change to fix it.
It will get worse, unless you fix it though.

I strongly feel that the second gear shift fork is not designed well because second gear shift forks bending should be a rare thing. It's known to be pretty common on these bikes. I also will add that I think many (not all) bends are due to people trying to do burns out wrong, and bouncing it in gear, or other repeated abuse.
Again, I think the thing is just poorly designed, but I urge everyone to baby that second gear.
Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Hey guys, I know I've seen a bunch of stuff here about the second gear popping issue... I really dont want to see anything wrong with my 109, but it seems to have gotten worse in the last couple months... :-\

I bought my 2009 M109 brand new this march. I did my oil change around the first 800 miles as recommended. It was hard, but I didnt abuse the bike in the first 1000 miles, but I did get on it a couple times, but nothing major, no joke...

I did take it to the local drag strip and did about 4 or 5 passes on it with a best time of 12.90.

In the last couple months the "popping" into second gear seems to have gotten worse. My buddy is a mechanic and noticed that my clutch seems to engage a bit to soon, so he adjusted it, which seems to have helped a little. I really am worried about it because I dont want to have to worry about chipping or breaking a tooth in second gear.

The bike is under warranty until March of 2011, 1 year to the date of purchase. Do you think I should take it in and have them look at it? :-\

Also, any ideas of how to clear up the issue would be helpful. I did 2 oil changes so far, 1st at about 800 miles, and the second around 4500 miles... Currently I'm at around 5500 miles. ((Not too bad I think for less than a year of riding! :D))
Most of The BigTime Second gear issues are Described by Popping OUT Of Gear , Not into Gear ,
Sounds like you have your Clutch Cable Too Tight , :dontknow:

·
Registered
317 Posts
No matter what, get your extended warranty before end it will pay off for sure. Next ting which is coming is; secondary drive shaft and oil leak around it. Estimated cost to fix it around $1000. I had it and I paid it as much as that.
I did not have an extended warranty, s***t.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'd take it to the dealer but I wouldn't mention the drag strip

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Most of The BigTime Second gear issues are Described by Popping OUT Of Gear , Not into Gear ,
Sounds like you have your Clutch Cable Too Tight , :dontknow:
I didn't catch the popping into gear part... Are you sure you didn't mean popping out of gear?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The shift forks slide on the tube. A hollow tube. These tubes get a slight bend in them. When this happens the fork never slides the gear all the way in. Then the torque of the motor will push it out of gear at times.
:agree: Take it to the dealer and dont mention the track!!!
When I had my engine work done, Rich sent my Tranny gears off to be undercutted plus heavier duty forks and solid slide tubes. This is accually the best thing I could have had done to my bike. It shifts as smooth as any bike Ive ever been on and no chance of bending the slides. Im hard on it and really dont think it would last if I did not have this done!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, I loosened the clutch cable on multiple occasions this year, but the major thing is (and I admit) I've only been riding for about 1 year. My first bike was a Suzuki Marauder and then I bought this brand new in March.

I'm a bike n00b, and I am kinda learning as I go. They never showed me when I bought this bike how to adjust anything, move anything or explained anything about the maintenance of the bike. My buddy is a bike mechanic and he told me they are supposed to show me all that.

Since then I'm learning some cool stuff, but I think it's a bit too late. I just hope they warranty this bike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ohhh yeah, I do mean popping INTO gear, not OUT of gear. Second gear is loud, and some of the guys I work with say the same thing, they can hear me shift into second almost every time... :dontknow:

G

·
Ohhh yeah, I do mean popping INTO gear, not OUT of gear. Second gear is loud, and some of the guys I work with say the same thing, they can hear me shift into second almost every time... :dontknow:
Oh it is. I guess mine is pretty loud too. Guess it's a wait and see. Good luck to you though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts