M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the bike out today. I ran into an issue while riding. I take off from a stopped position and get going. When I shift into 2nd and try to accelerate semi hard it seems like 2nd gear is going to blow right out of the motor. It seems like 2nd gear is missing or falling apart. It seems to happen between 1500 and 3000 RPM's. Am I having the shudder issue everyone is talking about? Do I need to be worried? Any advice on what to do next? Thanks.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
That's not the shudder you see mentioned. It happens when you take off and it feels like the clutch is grabbing and slipping quickly. I've seen a bike almost jump up and down from doing it so bad.

Your clutch tubular nut may be coming loose, though that should affect all gears. If it is that, eventually the clutch will stop releasing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any members from the Cleveland area familiar with working on the clutch on this bike? I need to check my tubular nut but I don't want to attempt it alone. Anyone know the Suzuki Part Number for the Tubular Nut? Can you buy it seperately?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
It's a non-serviceable item and not available except with the clutch basket. But all you need to do is remove it, add some blue loctite to it, and torque it back down.

Here's a good how-to on doing it, it's not that bad to get in there and check it.
http://pagreaves.com/109/clutch/clutch.htm

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the how-to. By looking at the diagram, I'm not sure what part number it is. Could someone please provide the part number?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
You better just take it to a good shop. I would not ride it there risking further damage. How old is it and how many miles?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can do the work. I'm mechanically inclined. I just wasn't sure about the part number.

It's a 2007 with 8300 miles. After talking with a guy here at work who has one, his had a tubular nut issue too but his is an 2006.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
there 's no parts needed. you just take the nut off- apply loctite- and reinstall to the proper torque. I dont know what the proper torque is but I'm sure somebody else will chime in soon.:dontknow:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the bike for another ride today... I took it down some quiet streets and the noise sounds like it's more from the rear of the bike. Could I have some kind drive shaft issue? It only happens in 2nd gear and it's only when I accelerate hard after switching into 2nd gear.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got off the phone with a local dealership. After describing the problem to them, they think I have a bent shift fork. Between $1000 and $2000 to fix. Bike only has 8300 miles on it. I think I may just sell it and buy a newer one... WTF??? Can I fight with Suzuki and win to get this covered since it a defect?

G

·
I just got off the phone with a local dealership. After describing the problem to them, they think I have a bent shift fork. Between $1000 and $2000 to fix. Bike only has 8300 miles on it. I think I may just sell it and buy a newer one... WTF??? Can I fight with Suzuki and win to get this covered since it a defect?
You can fight it if you want, but you're likely to lose. Zuk will tell you that you "abused the bike". It's their standard response to a bent shift fork. Search the forums...you'l find countless posts about this.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't agree with the way Suzuki treats their customers. I will be selling my M109R. I don't want to but I can't afford to fix the tranny. It's too bad because I love this bike. Do these issues exist in the 09 and 2010 models? I think I may have to look at Kawasaki....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts