M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know If this is going to be $$$$$

1 st gear is Ok but when I pop in Second & Open her up it slips to Neutral, this is the 4 th or 5 th time it happens in the last 2 weeks

Ps it only happens when I open up the 109

would it be a Clutch adjustment or have I got bigger problems ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I once had the same problem when I tried to have a go with a Ducati Monster at the lights( It was the first month into getting the 9). I was thinking maybe I can give it a test as to how far the Ducati will leave me behind. When the lights turned green, I put it in 1st gear moved a about 15 meters and opened up the throttle but when I tried to put it into second, it kicked right into Neutral. That was the first and only time I tried that. Nothing serious happened after that and the 9 is now in its coming 7th months.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
That's happened to me a few times

If it keeps happening it might be the shift fork. Heard of that happening. Is it under warranty? Hopefully it's not your shift fork going out.

1 st gear is Ok but when I pop in Second & Open her up it slips to Neutral, this is the 4 th or 5 th time it happens in the last 2 weeks

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Are you preloading the shifter before you shift (putting tension on the shifter before you actually pull in the clutch and shift)? If not, try that and see how it works. If you aren't pulling hard (with some sort of stiff toed boot) on the shifter into 2nd try that too. If that doesn't work it will more than likely end up being a shift fork. Do a search for "shift fork" and "back cut gears" since you already have it torn apart you might as well spend a little more money to back cut the gears so you can enjoy many more mile with your 9.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts

99% chance your shift fork is damaged. Once it does that, it gets progressively worse.

To fix the whole thing at a dealer, it calls for 20 hours of labor I believe. The normal cost on this is anywhere from $2-3K depending on the dealer. They have to actually split the case on the bike and open it up.

If it is under warranty, it is hit or miss if Suzuki will cover it. You have to sign a waiver with the dealer authorizing the work. If Suzuki covers it you are fine, but if they deny, you have to pay. You then would need a lawyer and sue them to get your money back. They do that and figure nobody will fight them and save a ton of money on repairs.

If you are mechanically good, you can try it yourself. If you do it, have the second gear back cut so it never happens again. Also get upgraded shift rods/forks etc... Search Jutah as he had the info somewhere in a thread.

This is what is involved. This is the one I helped another member do for another member on here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Replacement

Call your local dealership, tell them your problem and year and vin. Suzuki knows about the problem, they have a kit with new shift forks and redesigned gears. No part number yet cause that would admit responsibility! Your dealership should get it covered under "warranty cost". after suzuki rep takes a look at your parts. If anything it would cost the price of fluids, which should have been covered under warranty as well. But for fifty bucks, I guess it's worth it to have 2nd gear again. Most of the problem is the shift fork which is a major repair. It could be done at home but why not get the dealership to cover it. The problem starts out with the trans not going into neutral or into gear. So you hit it harder to "force" it into gear. Once you see the shift fork you can see how "banging" on it can bend it. The new design gear is a 4 tooth set up instead of a 5 tooth as original. They say it slips into gear easier? I didn't notice any real wear on the old parts when I picked up my bike but it does run like new again. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you preloading the shifter before you shift (putting tension on the shifter before you actually pull in the clutch and shift)? If not, try that and see how it works. If you aren't pulling hard (with some sort of stiff toed boot) on the shifter into 2nd try that too. If that doesn't work it will more than likely end up being a shift fork. Do a search for "shift fork" and "back cut gears" since you already have it torn apart you might as well spend a little more money to back cut the gears so you can enjoy many more mile with your 9.
I'm not preloading the shifter
When I engage the 2nd gear & run the bike smoothly it never slips out, it's only when I ask the beast to wake up "Torque it" that this has happened a couple of times.
The bike's a 2006 with 12,000 miles & I've never missed a shift (Prob. Lucky) & as you know when your shifting from 1st to 2nd that's when when you really have to pull on your shifter, 3rd & 4th gear are never a problem. If the shift fork is worn down woul'nt I have the problem on the 3 & 4 th Gear ??:dontknow:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
When I engage the 2nd gear & run the bike smoothly it never slips out, it's only when I ask the beast to wake up "Torque it" that this has happened a couple of times.
The bike's a 2006 with 12,000 miles & I've never missed a shift (Prob. Lucky) & as you know when your shifting from 1st to 2nd that's when when you really have to pull on your shifter, 3rd & 4th gear are never a problem. If the shift fork is worn down woul'nt I have the problem on the 3 & 4 th Gear ??:dontknow:
No, it is the shift fork for first to second that goes bad. there are multiple shift forks in the tranny.

G

·
I'll be following what you find out, as I have never missed a 1-2 shift either. Did you drive it the whole 12000 miles yourself, or buy used?

G

·
99% chance your shift fork is damaged. Once it does that, it gets progressively worse.

To fix the whole thing at a dealer, it calls for 20 hours of labor I believe. The normal cost on this is anywhere from $2-3K depending on the dealer. They have to actually split the case on the bike and open it up.

If it is under warranty, it is hit or miss if Suzuki will cover it. You have to sign a waiver with the dealer authorizing the work. If Suzuki covers it you are fine, but if they deny, you have to pay. You then would need a lawyer and sue them to get your money back. They do that and figure nobody will fight them and save a ton of money on repairs.

If you are mechanically good, you can try it yourself. If you do it, have the second gear back cut so it never happens again. Also get upgraded shift rods/forks etc... Search Jutah as he had the info somewhere in a thread.

This is what is involved. This is the one I helped another member do for another member on here.
You happen to remember the miles on the bike when it showed this kind of wear? Ugly.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
:pop:

I'd be very interested to hear more about the Zuki Dealership having a kit with more gears and shift forks.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
You happen to remember the miles on the bike when it showed this kind of wear? Ugly.
I am guessing and saying 17k or something. However, he rode his bike very very hard. I have seen them with 3-5K on them as well. I have never missed a shift, and have 37k on mine with no issues. However, i have only launched raced it a handful of times. The rest of the time I drive it like a cruiser and if I get into it...2nd and 3rd gear.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Call your local dealership, tell them your problem and year and vin. Suzuki knows about the problem, they have a kit with new shift forks and redesigned gears. No part number yet cause that would admit responsibility! Your dealership should get it covered under "warranty cost". after suzuki rep takes a look at your parts. If anything it would cost the price of fluids, which should have been covered under warranty as well. But for fifty bucks, I guess it's worth it to have 2nd gear again. Most of the problem is the shift fork which is a major repair. It could be done at home but why not get the dealership to cover it. The problem starts out with the trans not going into neutral or into gear. So you hit it harder to "force" it into gear. Once you see the shift fork you can see how "banging" on it can bend it. The new design gear is a 4 tooth set up instead of a 5 tooth as original. They say it slips into gear easier? I didn't notice any real wear on the old parts when I picked up my bike but it does run like new again. Hope this helps...
Wow thats the First time i have heard of a "kit" for the second gear slip problem , do you have any more info on this ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow thats the First time i have heard of a "kit" for the second gear slip problem , do you have any more info on this ?
The "kit", sorry no part#, is what the suzuki dealership had as a fix for the 2nd gear problem. They had fixed about 4 of my friends bikes already. Don't know how many total. They had my bike about 10 days, they said they pulled the motor and installed the new gear and shift fork. According to the service rep from dealer, the new gear from suzuki is a 4 tooth/spline compared to the 5 tooth/spline setup the was originally installed. It's supposed to let the trans fall into gear alot easier which doesn't put as much pressure on the shift fork. They also stated suzuki only made so many kits, but it sounds like they need to make this kit more readily available.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Shift fork

Mine is at the dealer now, they say it needs the shift fork. It would only drop into neutral when deaccel then accel in 2nd gear. I have a 07 with 9000 miles. they say they are going to contact Suzuki to see if they will help. We shall see.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Mine is at the dealer now, they say it needs the shift fork. It would only drop into neutral when deaccel then accel in 2nd gear. I have a 07 with 9000 miles. they say they are going to contact Suzuki to see if they will help. We shall see.
Do yourself a favor and look at the link I posted above if you haven't already. I'd also have them replace those hollow tubes with solid rods for the shift forks. (They would have to be custom made by a shop, but very easy for them to do.) The reason why shift forks fail is because the hollow tube has a slight bend and it moves the fork out. (According to Jutah's thread and I believe him.) If they don't change those rods or back cut it will happen again. IMO;):bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The "kit", sorry no part#, is what the suzuki dealership had as a fix for the 2nd gear problem. They had fixed about 4 of my friends bikes already. Don't know how many total. They had my bike about 10 days, they said they pulled the motor and installed the new gear and shift fork. According to the service rep from dealer, the new gear from suzuki is a 4 tooth/spline compared to the 5 tooth/spline setup the was originally installed. It's supposed to let the trans fall into gear alot easier which doesn't put as much pressure on the shift fork. They also stated suzuki only made so many kits, but it sounds like they need to make this kit more readily available.
Can you get a repair slip? That way we could show our dealers that zuki has been owning up to this. Please.:doorag:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts